6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991-145/)
-   -   New York to Ban Porsches (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991/302915-new-york-ban-porsches.html)

BrandonH 03-18-2013 06:00 PM

New York to Ban Porsches

Its just getting ridiculous...

http://www.policymic.com/articles/28...sault-vehicles

deeznutz 03-18-2013 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by BrandonH (Post 3796718)

i have a bridge to sell you.

BrandonH 03-18-2013 06:28 PM

Its obviously satire....but dont be so sure it couldnt happen one day.

The Mayor of Paris is trying to ban old cars to access the center of Paris.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11211155...s-old---report

certified_prime 03-18-2013 07:36 PM

Soon we will have self-driving cars, insurance companies which require telematics in every insured car, and speed camera everywhere.

The ban on porsches, ferarris, and other sports cars will come, not with a bang, but a whimper.

ChuckJ 03-19-2013 05:55 AM

hilarious.

ChuckJ

Alan 03-19-2013 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by certified_prime (Post 3796797)
Soon we will have self-driving cars, insurance companies which require telematics in every insured car, and speed camera everywhere.

The ban on porsches, ferarris, and other sports cars will come, not with a bang, but a whimper.

You are so right. We should definitely enjoy our cars, now. We are in the heyday of performance cars and I don't believe it will last another decade. Increase data speed, computing power, remote surveillance, coupled with draconian insurance regulations will kill performance cars. In 20 years all the cars will drive themselves and get the electric equivalent of 300 mpg. Hopefully,there will also be a new recreational drug that will allow me to see intense images of my first Porsche - a 356 speedster that I restored.

Spathiinc 03-19-2013 07:23 AM

Regarding self driving cars, you'r probably right that within 30 years they're going to dominate the market. I'm not so sure that the government is going to step in and force them on us, but I have a feeling that 'self drivers' are going to be so convenient that market conditions will defacto replace regular cars (the same way automatics have largely replaced MT). If you think about it, the reasons for buying a self driving car are incredibly compelling (safety, fuel consumption, traffic flow reduction, parking, etc). Imagine being able to go out with your friends and not worry about assigning a designated driver, or handing the keys to your teenager knowing that the car won't allow them to get into too much trouble. It's a double edged sword though, complete with increased monitoring of yourself (less privacy) and probably the nanny-car keeping grown-ups from having too much fun too. It's expensive technology though, so it'll probably be limited to high-end cars for some time (maybe in 20 years it'll be mid-market). That is of course, unless the government slaps it with a big tax incentive ala hybrids & electrics.

998M 03-19-2013 07:34 AM

If the US starts to ban Porsche and other sports cars, I will have to move to Cyprus.

M

handfull 03-19-2013 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by certified_prime (Post 3796797)

I'm assuming the whimper will come courtesy of the of the taxpayer, if so I agree. Many in this country subscribe to the philosophy that "we must go along to get along." Unless the electorate start to engage our lives will be dictated by those who know what's best for us.

Gene G 03-19-2013 08:18 AM

That is just nuts. I guess that Hank Williams Jr. had it right when he sang " You can send me to hell or New York city it's all about the same to me"hilarious

mrstep 03-19-2013 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 3797075)
You are so right. We should definitely enjoy our cars, now. We are in the heyday of performance cars and I don't believe it will last another decade. Increase data speed, computing power, remote surveillance, coupled with draconian insurance regulations will kill performance cars. In 20 years all the cars will drive themselves and get the electric equivalent of 300 mpg. Hopefully,there will also be a new recreational drug that will allow me to see intense images of my first Porsche - a 356 speedster that I restored.

For me, PDK/computer-controlled-shifting is the automatic-ization of performance cars already; Auto-steering and full throttle control, etc. are just a matter of time as well particularly with GPS and the push to have self-driving vehicles. Since computer steering will be more precise and faster than you can manually steer - just like having the computer shift is now - maybe "we'll" all get slightly faster lap times!*

And can you say 'drones'? Because with the ultra-high-def video, you'll be getting tickets in the mail even when there were no cops or ground-based speeding cameras around - all roads reviewed for speeding all the time. How great.**

* Yes, I admit to not being a fan of the new automatic transmissions, not because the new tech isn't better than a person shifting - and if you're looking to be competitive on a track or are commuting in traffic every day it's totally legit - but because I think it's a step on the slippery slope of making sports cars as exciting as smart phones. Auto-steering or "steering assist" can't be too far behind?

If manufacturers believe that the only way to be more competitive (i.e. match other brands reference 0-60 and lap times) is to put more tech in, they'll certainly do it for the marketing alone. Add in the regulatory side pushing the same tech, and I agree it's just a matter of time before sports cars are a thing of the past. Red Barchetta?

** Not that I'd ever personally go over a ridiculously low posted limit when the road and conditions clearly would safely allow it, because laws are made by people much smarter than ourselves, particularly laws that generate ticket revenue!

Snowczar 03-19-2013 09:03 AM

I thought April fools day wasn't for another 13 days or so.

John in Vancouver

ryem3 03-19-2013 11:51 AM

Might as well ban them. Last I saw on the news, NYC was installing or contemplating installing speed cameras. Once big brother gets to that point, our cars are going to be hardly worth the price of admission. Common problem in Europe that is at least partially mitigated by much higher autobahn/strada speed limits.

AG991 03-19-2013 11:59 AM

The law would only apply to smokers and people operating a vehicle with a sugary drink of greater than 16 oz.hilarious

I could get behind a ban on mini-vans and SUVs the size of parade floats.;)

jaspergtr 03-19-2013 12:00 PM

They would have better results stopping women from getting licenses.