6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991-145/)
-   -   991 C4S gas mileage vs C2S (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991/304796-991-c4s-gas-mileage-vs-c2s.html)

bluepr0 04-08-2013 05:02 PM

991 C4S gas mileage vs C2S

Hello!

Taking a look at the Porsche website, gas mileage from C2S to C4S is just a bit more, nothing to really worry about. I know you don't buy a Porsche because its gas mileage, but I was just wondering if in your experience (that's actually what matters) is the difference that much noticeable from one model to another?

Thanks!

ChuckJ 04-08-2013 05:23 PM

I'll bet you can count on the EPA numbers relative from the C2S to the C4S. The variable torque balancing is very sophisticated. In my mind, the other considerations like trunk space, total weight and cost. If you plan to drive in the snow, it may very well be worth looking into. That said, I have owned 15 Porsches, driven many in the snow and have never had a problem. I drove one from Dallas to Arizona in a snow storm that closed the road just behind us all the way through New Mexico and didn't get stuck even without chains- and that was without all weather tires.

ChuckJ

bluepr0 04-08-2013 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by ChuckJ (Post 3816031)
I'll bet you can count on the EPA numbers relative from the C2S to the C4S. The variable torque balancing is very sophisticated. In my mind, the other considerations like trunk space, total weight and cost. If you plan to drive in the snow, it may very well be worth looking into. That said, I have owned 15 Porsches, driven many in the snow and have never had a problem. I drove one from Dallas to Arizona in a snow storm that closed the road just behind us all the way through New Mexico and didn't get stuck even without chains- and that was without all weather tires.

ChuckJ

Thanks for your reply! Honestly, If I go with the C4S is just because the looks :P. Where I live, it rains a lot in winter but we don't have snow.

Going back to your reply, since my english is not that good, what you meant with "you can count on the EPA numbers..." does it means the difference in gas mileage is very low?. Thanks again!

ChuckJ 04-08-2013 05:33 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Attachment 229903

Originally Posted by bluepr0 (Post 3816036)
Thanks for your reply! Honestly, If I go with the C4S is just because the looks :P. Where I live, it rains a lot in winter but we don't have snow.

Going back to your reply, since my english is not that good, what you meant with "you can count on the EPA numbers..." does it means the difference in gas mileage is very low?. Thanks again!

The gas mileage estimates using the USA system will be as accurate for the 4 wheel drive as the 2 wheel drive. It is good looking!. If you like it (and can afford it), you should get it!

ChuckJ
PS Sorry the picture broke, but hopefully you can connect the two sets in your mind to see which specs relates to which car.

AG991 04-08-2013 05:49 PM

I think ChuckJ is correct about trunk space, cost and weight, as well as looks being drivers, not fuel. And my biggest concern with the 991 as a group for snow is how low it is. It could get stuck like turtle on a very small snow pile.:D But maybe someone attractive will stop to help you out! Seriously, if rain is an issue, you may want to consider the 4 for the added traction and wider footprint. Can you get it with PDCC. I love it in my C2S, but it adds cost and weight. The good news is that there is no bad choice - just be happy with whichever one you make - don't ask what if. Good luck!

ChuckJ 04-08-2013 05:56 PM

AG911 is correct, I wouldn't lower the car if you want to play in the snow. The snow was rubbing against the bottom of our car much of that trip I related to above.

ChuckJ

rnl 04-08-2013 06:18 PM

While the car was at the dealer for a tire and wheel swap winter for summer I mentioned to the Tech the unbelievable mileage it has been getting on the highway. That morning it was 32mpg. The other tech smiled and just said that I was obviously not driving the car correctly. 😎

Sent from my iPhone using 6SpeedOnline

AG991 04-08-2013 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by rnl (Post 3816097)
While the car was at the dealer for a tire and wheel swap winter for summer I mentioned to the Tech the unbelievable mileage it has been getting on the highway. That morning it was 32mpg. The other tech smiled and just said that I was obviously not driving the car correctly. 😎

LOLhilarious

bluepr0 04-09-2013 01:04 PM

Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by rnl (Post 3816097)

Jejeje!!

m5_2010 04-09-2013 01:39 PM

I drove my SC correctly and got 25 mpg on the highway... It is a manual so..... :-)

ChuckJ 04-09-2013 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by m5_2010 (Post 3816735)
I drove my SC correctly and got 25 mpg on the highway... It is a manual so..... :-)

Correctly at 85?

ChuckJ

rnl 04-09-2013 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by ChuckJ (Post 3816967)
Correctly at 85?

ChuckJ

In second gear?

ChuckJ 04-09-2013 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by rnl (Post 3816986)
In second gear?

Yep.:)

ChuckJ

gracious_911 04-09-2013 09:47 PM

coming from a 997 2S, the new 4S has doubled my visits to the gas station.
my city/highway combo around 12-13 mpg and never went above 4000 rpm for break-in
However,I am happy to report that after the break in 2000 miles period and break in oil change this week, this has changed significantly! I now have 18mpg city highway combo...
which is still less that my 2S, but somewhat closer I would say. :cool:

beyond that the car now drives WAAAAYYY better, it feels tighter, more responsive, feedback is there, noise is VERY different now and less artificial...what can I say...noise gets better and better...

Originally Posted by bluepr0 (Post 3816011)
Hello!

Taking a look at the Porsche website, gas mileage from C2S to C4S is just a bit more, nothing to really worry about. I know you don't buy a Porsche because its gas mileage, but I was just wondering if in your experience (that's actually what matters) is the difference that much noticeable from one model to another?

Thanks!

Fester 04-09-2013 10:13 PM

I typically get 18mpg which is way beyond my expectations for awd sports car and the way I drive ;)