6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991-145/)
-   -   OK, so a few complaints (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991/306590-ok-so-few-complaints.html)

chance6 04-28-2013 02:39 PM

OK, so a few complaints

I love this car, but I do have a few complaints...

The iPod interface. There is no regular iPod cable to plug in...you can only use USB. I understand the USB is probably a touch better quality, but you're exercising the iPod's battery with another recharge and also using the car's battery more.

The automatic headlights. If I wanna just drive with the low beams on, you have to switch from 'off' through the auto position, which could turn the headlights on, on the way to the low beam setting.

I guess if I had to do it over again, I'd get the Burmester sound system. The Bose is just okay to me. I'm not really complaining about this though since I had Bose on my previous two Carreras, Boxster, and Cayenne. Just an observation.

No complaints about PDCC, PASM, PDK, or anything else performance-related. Just a great car.

flyanddive 04-28-2013 02:43 PM

I regret not getting three things: The Burmester, ventilated seats, and adaptive sports seats.

chance6 04-28-2013 03:03 PM

I do love my 18-way adaptive sport seats...always wanted 'em. And yeah the ventilated seats are a nice touch for sure, especially in a black interior like mine.

hockeyguy4u 04-28-2013 03:13 PM

I am actually pleasantly surprised by the bose, much better than the 997's bose
(surround on, minus 1 base, plus 1 treble, fade 2 to the rear are my settings. And god forbid never ever use linear, lol). But yeah, I know the burmester is phenomenal.

ww007 04-28-2013 05:01 PM

What do you mean by "regular iPod cable"? I think the USB port is much more versatile... You can plug in an iPhone, android phone, or USB drive. If you have an iPhone, just use the cable that came with the phone (I bought a spare). And now with the new cable for the iPhone 5, you don't have to worry about compatibility issues as you can just plug in the new one. And I actually like the fact that it charges the phone when you plug it in; no need to get a separate charger that plugs into the 12 V and sticks out like a sore thumb. I do wish they put the USB port in the center console instead of the glove compartment though...

I agree with you on the headlight knob: they probably should've swapped the auto and off positions.

ChuckJ 04-29-2013 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by hockeyguy4u (Post 3834424)
I am actually pleasantly surprised by the bose, much better than the 997's bose
(surround on, minus 1 base, plus 1 treble, fade 2 to the rear are my settings. And god forbid never ever use linear, lol). But yeah, I know the burmester is phenomenal.

I didn't get the Bose because I was so disappointed with the Bose on my 2009 C2S. I think the base with HD is better than the old Bose, but the car is quieter, allowing one to hear it so that may be part of the issue.

ChuckJ

TTCarrera 04-29-2013 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by ww007 (Post 3834490)
What do you mean by "regular iPod cable"? I think the USB port is much more versatile... You can plug in an iPhone, android phone, or USB drive. If you have an iPhone, just use the cable that came with the phone (I bought a spare). And now with the new cable for the iPhone 5, you don't have to worry about compatibility issues as you can just plug in the new one. And I actually like the fact that it charges the phone when you plug it in; no need to get a separate charger that plugs into the 12 V and sticks out like a sore thumb. I do wish they put the USB port in the center console instead of the glove compartment though...

I agree with you on the headlight knob: they probably should've swapped the auto and off positions.

Agree 1000% re: the "regular iPod cable". USB autoconnects with a higher quality sound interface and charges at the same time. Read your manual, it works great.

I don't understand the complaint about auto headlights. It works great. Don't know why anyone would not want to use it or just use low beams. Daylight Running Lights is a great safety feature, especially to warn oncoming cars if you are moving towards them faster than they might otherwise think you are.

TTCarrera 04-29-2013 10:20 AM

5 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ww007 (Post 3834490)
I do wish they put the USB port in the center console instead of the glove compartment though..

This is wired into the glove box USB port:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ine=1367252434

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ine=1367252434

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ine=1367252494

tahoe_joe 04-29-2013 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by TTCarrera (Post 3835005)
This is wired into the glove box USB port:

TT, that looks sharp. what's the make/model of your phone stand?

ww007 04-29-2013 05:53 PM

That's a nice setup, TT.

Regarding the auto setting of the headlights, sometimes I don't want it to turn on, such as when I'm pulling into my garage during the daytime. From what I've read, xenons have a limited number of on/off cycles. Seems kind of wasteful to use some of them needlessly when pulling into your garage, entering a short tunnel, etc.

PorscheCrazy 04-29-2013 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by ww007 (Post 3835479)
That's a nice setup, TT.

Regarding the auto setting of the headlights, sometimes I don't want it to turn on, such as when I'm pulling into my garage during the daytime. From what I've read, xenons have a limited number of on/off cycles. Seems kind of wasteful to use some of them needlessly when pulling into your garage, entering a short tunnel, etc.

Tend to agree with you. That is why I keep my lights off and turn it on when I need to. :)

ae911 04-29-2013 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by chance6 (Post 3834401)
I love this car, but I do have a few complaints...

The iPod interface. There is no regular iPod cable to plug in...you can only use USB. I understand the USB is probably a touch better quality, but you're exercising the iPod's battery with another recharge and also using the car's battery more.

The automatic headlights. If I wanna just drive with the low beams on, you have to switch from 'off' through the auto position, which could turn the headlights on, on the way to the low beam setting.

I guess if I had to do it over again, I'd get the Burmester sound system. The Bose is just okay to me. I'm not really complaining about this though since I had Bose on my previous two Carreras, Boxster, and Cayenne. Just an observation.

No complaints about PDCC, PASM, PDK, or anything else performance-related. Just a great car.

Don't understand the ipod interface issue, USB is the standard connector with the now older ipod connector.

As for the auto headlights, i actually like that one and in the evening if I want to see more the full beams are glorious (obviously with no on coming traffic :eek:).

I have the Bose system and so far so good. For sure the Burmester is a good system but it was a bridge too far for me.

I am sure after a few months I will have some complaints but I am still a relative newbie.

TTCarrera 04-29-2013 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by tahoe_joe (Post 3835447)
TT, that looks sharp. what's the make/model of your phone stand?

The base is from ProClip. The iPhone 5 holder is from Kuda.

To mate them together takes some creative grinding of the Kuda iPhone 5 holder with a Dremel to make the bottom flat. Then bolting the two together with 6MM nuts/bolts.

ChuckJ 04-30-2013 06:40 AM

My long term mileage was running 23.5 after 5,000 miles and then the other day I looked and the silly thing was indicating 99.9. Has anyone else had this problem?

ChuckJ

Call 991 05-03-2013 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by ChuckJ (Post 3835906)
My long term mileage was running 23.5 after 5,000 miles and then the other day I looked and the silly thing was indicating 99.9. Has anyone else had this problem?

ChuckJ

Yes, it's happened multiple times. Not sure what's going on, I've just been re-setting it.