6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991-145/)
-   -   Broke down today :-( (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991/307289-broke-down-today.html)

kev_song 05-06-2013 08:17 PM

Broke down today :-(

2 Attachment(s)
It's was a beautiful day in Boston I decided to take my C4S out for a drive. Stopped in to see my folks and then check out the new Cayman S. I broke down on the way there. The car started to buck and then all the lights on the cluster lit up. She won't turn over. Had to flat bed it to the dealer. I just past the break in period. Never broken down on the side of the road before. Luckily I didn't have to be anywhere this afternoon.

jkonva 05-06-2013 09:34 PM

Sorry to hear it. Let us know what the diagnosis is.

flyinbrian31 05-06-2013 10:13 PM

Bummer, please keep us posted. I have had a detached sensor in the passenger seat and going to the dealer tomorrow for a rear wing failure.

Michael_s 05-07-2013 03:59 AM

Out of gas? Here's to a speedy recovery! Oops, I recant my idea. Not out of gas if car wouldn't turn over. Didnt read in full. Too early. Good luck. Let us know the outcome.

trysixty 05-07-2013 04:13 AM

how did they tow it backwards up the ramp in the picture? i was under impression you screw tow hook in......or that only a racing/track feature of these cars? thanks, and hope your back on road soon

kev_song 05-07-2013 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by trysixty (Post 3841632)
how did they tow it backwards up the ramp in the picture? i was under impression you screw tow hook in......or that only a racing/track feature of these cars? thanks, and hope your back on road soon

They hooked it from underneath. I'm assuming the guy knew what he was doing. The company is my dealers preferred tow company and he was *****ing about all the new tech in the new Boxsters and 991 that made it less convenient for him to quickly get the vehicles on the flat bed.

kev_song 05-07-2013 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Michael_s (Post 3841630)
Out of gas? Here's to a speedy recovery! Oops, I recant my idea. Not out of gas if car wouldn't turn over. Didnt read in full. Too early. Good luck. Let us know the outcome.

I had a 1/4 tank left according to the fuel gauge. I think the only time I ran out of gas when I was 16. I'm 40 now. Now that would be embarrassing!

certified_prime 05-07-2013 06:19 AM

The 4S has a funny shaped gas tank. With the 997, the gas gauge below 1/4 was not accurate...lots of cars had your issue.

PorscheCrazy 05-07-2013 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by certified_prime (Post 3841674)
The 4S has a funny shaped gas tank. With the 997, the gas gauge below 1/4 was not accurate...lots of cars had your issue.

Yes, there have been some recent posts about this. Your gauge may need to be re-calibrated if you did run out of gas.

ECS Tuning - Porsche 05-07-2013 07:59 AM

Sorry to see this happen but keep us updated on what the failure was.

Fester 05-07-2013 09:21 AM

In your last gas fill up did you fill it up all the way or just a little? Also, was your last commute long or short? Due to gas tank shape in awd 991s, it's recommended to not let it get to the bottom and always fill it up completely. Another forum member had similar issue with his 4S towed...I checked with the workshop mgr and hence above statement. It hasn't been an issue for me so far since I have a bad habit of always filling my vehicles up when the tank is half way or at the most 1/4th left...

dux 05-07-2013 11:06 AM

The OP said that the engine won't turn over, so I'm assuming it's NOT a case of him being out of gas.

By "turn over" I presume he meant crank?

Please keep us posted..

kev_song 05-07-2013 01:00 PM

I just got a call from the service rep. Broken belt and no gas. Happened at the same time. From what I was told Porsche is coming out with a software patch for this issue with the fuel gauge not reading correctly. I was told not to get under 100 DTE until they come out with the fix. Glad it wasn't anything serious but still annoyed. I appreciate everyone's concern on the board!

ECS Tuning - Porsche 05-07-2013 01:05 PM

Glad it all worked out and it wasn't anything to serious. Thank you for keeping us posted.

Eric (Plug Guy) 05-07-2013 02:28 PM

Be sure to have the underside suspension parts checked - hooking from below is a no-no - always use the tow plug/hook.