Coolant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 03:35 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Coolant

Have just over 25k on my 3.4L engine and have noticed that the car "consumed" about about 1.2 L of coolant since new. I replaced it with a 50-50 mixture of distilled water and Pentosin Pentofrost antifreeze coolant. Topped it off a few months ago and no fluid loss since.

Spoke with a Tech yesterday while he swapped my summer wheels and tires for the winter wheels and tires and he said that it's normal for Porsche engines to "consume" coolant. That it's not a problem.

Anybody know anything about this? All of my other cars (including a vintage MGB) don't "consume" coolant.

Last edited by rnl; 10-26-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:31 PM
j080808 is on a distinguished road
My wifes new Mercedes Benz's consume coolant too.

Evaporation, air pockets?

Old 10-26-2013, 04:48 PM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
Minor consumption is reasonable. Its more likely if running at high rpm as 911 often does. You can get an oil analysis if you are concerned. That helped me diagnosis a coolant issue on an LS2 engine. Blackstone labs is great to deal with.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:02 PM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
The 991 runs hotter. Perhaps that has something to do w it

Old 10-26-2013, 05:03 PM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
The 991 runs hotter. Perhaps that has something to do w it.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:11 PM
stevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura about
I don't think it is normal to consume coolant! The engine may not have been burbed completely when originally filled, seems unlikely. Check for leaks. The lines of course run all the way to the front. A very small leak would not leave any drips.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:57 PM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
^ True. 1.2 L is not minor but it was over 25K.
Just wonder how acurately that was measured from original level.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:03 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
I'm shocked that's too much of a coolant use!

Old 10-26-2013, 11:49 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
What made you check? Was your temp running high?

Old 10-27-2013, 06:31 AM
aljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
What made you check? Was your temp running high?
Same question?

Old 10-27-2013, 08:14 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by aljaberh
Same question?
No. I checked it after driving it for a year and added the coolant. After reading your comments, I suppose there may have been air in the system. that theory fits as there has been no loss since it was topped off and the oil drained was not milky showing any signs of contamination.

Last edited by rnl; 10-27-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:44 AM
Rainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud of
Normal.
It's likely there are some air pockets trapped in a new engine - once they are expelled your level will drop. Expect anything up to a liter. The 911 has a large coolant capacity due to the radiators being in front and long pipes.

After that you will likely need to replenish once in a while depending on how hard you work your engine. There is some evaporation after you shut a very hot engine down (some boiling may occur inside the engine). Should only need to top up with destilled water - the antifreeze itself does not evaporate - only the water.

The correct way to handle periods of hard engine work is to run it relaxed for a few minutes before shutting down. This helps to keep the coolant flowing while the engine can get rid of excess heat. If you do this your coolant use should be minimal.

Rainier

Old 10-28-2013, 06:42 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Mine was down a liter after 18 months and 9000 miles. I added 50/50 Porsche antifreeze / water per Porsche tech recommendation. That's also when my oil level stopped indicating. I've driven it probably 10 miles so far but I didn't realize it took 20. Will be doing that this morning.

ChuckJ