6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991-145/)
-   -   More sound out of exhaust (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991/313936-more-sound-out-exhaust.html)

studlee 07-29-2013 03:23 AM

More sound out of exhaust

hi guys and gals...just picked up a guard red c2 today. already put on 150 miles. i'm looking to get some more sound out of my exhaust without replacing the whole exhaust system....i'm leasing the car.... i'm not familiar with all the porsche lingo...coming from turbo'ed audi's i would get a test pipe that would replace the cat and would get better hp, sound and was inexpensive. anything i can do with the porsche that is inexpensive yet get more sound?

remember the old days of a cherry bomb...i want something similar to that.

19hole 07-29-2013 03:47 AM

The words Porsche and inexpensive are mutually exclusive and are never used in the same sentance!

kosmo69 07-29-2013 05:59 AM

shark werks , Fab speed and others offer by pass pipes.

Team Plutonium 07-29-2013 09:32 AM

This is my custom set-up... Sharkwerks side free-flow exhaust (muffler delete), and the FVD Brombacher center x-pipe (muffler bypass, vacuum-line valve controlled). Basically full muffler delete. :D

studlee 07-29-2013 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by 19hole (Post 3904810)
The words Porsche and inexpensive are mutually exclusive and are never used in the same sentance!

Hahaa...you are absolutely correct there

speedwell 07-29-2013 10:52 AM

On a leased vehicle - your best bet would have been the sport exhaust option at 3K. While it's not the best or the most economical, it's OEM and the cost can be amortized over your lease term. Fabspeed has a nice setup with their X Pipe race exhaust but it's 2.2K for the kit due upfront and this cost would be entirely yours (plus reinstallation of OEM pipe at lease end) since PFS will not give you and credit and will most likely make your return the vehicle in it's original condition.

dux 07-29-2013 11:01 AM

Perhaps we should ask the gentleman what he considers to be "inexpensive".

speedwell 07-29-2013 11:24 AM

It's all expensive - too expensive for a leased vehicle. I wouldn't make any modification. My point with the sport exhaust is that it's the most economical since you would only be paying the lease term depreciation on that option. In the case of a 27 month lease with 72% residual, that would be $826 (spread equally over 27 months) and there would be no cost to you to "restore" the vehicle to original condition as there may be with the Fabspeed X pipe.

studlee 07-29-2013 11:27 AM

I was thinking under $1000 installed....in the past I worked on my own cars...this car seems too complicated and way over my head.

Originally Posted by dux (Post 3905000)
Perhaps we should ask the gentleman what he considers to be "inexpensive".

studlee 07-29-2013 11:40 AM

if I were to have ordered a car I would have gone for PSE, I inquired at delivery and they wanted $4200 installed, but I would have to have it removed at lease return...they would not factor that into the cost of the lease...they just divided 4200 by 24. so I would have paid the full cost of the pse but in payments instead.

Originally Posted by speedwell (Post 3905021)
It's all expensive - too expensive for a leased vehicle. I wouldn't make any modification. My point with the sport exhaust is that it's the most economical since you would only be paying the lease term depreciation on that option. In the case of a 27 month lease with 72% residual, that would be $826 (spread equally over 27 months) and there would be no cost to you to "restore" the vehicle to original condition as there may be with the Fabspeed X pipe.

studlee 07-29-2013 11:42 AM

I'm considering this now. while driving the Porsche all day I wanted a louder exhaust...and then I drove the lexus....the Porsche seems loud enough =)

Originally Posted by speedwell (Post 3905021)

Vic55 07-29-2013 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by studlee (Post 3905024)
I was thinking under $1000 installed....in the past I worked on my own cars...this car seems too complicated and way over my head.

Do a Fabspeed or similar maker X pipe--- you are replacing the large center muffer that is under your license plate between the exhaust pipes. The pricing on this is in the mid ones and its a simple install. For even more sound you could dump your side mufflers (packed up in the fenders on each side) by using bypass pipes.

I have the PSE and love the sound up top so I just did the muffler bypass pipes on the sides and now I have grunt down low and scream up top. This is the cheapest adjustment and easiest to do--- but I have PSE so my sound is different than yours.

dux 07-29-2013 12:21 PM

Studlee - not worth the hassle to start messing around with this - especially being a lease.
It does nothing for you in terms of performance and the cars sound great even without PSE.

Enjoy your car and save your money for a good radar detector/ jammer.

Team Plutonium 07-29-2013 01:18 PM

The cheapest way is to buy the sharkwerks side exhaust... under $1K, and it takes less than an hour to install, very easy.

advantyper 07-29-2013 01:21 PM

Sounds pretty raw!, howz the drone in the cabin? I am guessing must be pretty annoying in the cabin for long drives?

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium (Post 3904929)
This is my custom set-up... Sharkwerks side free-flow exhaust (muffler delete), and the FVD Brombacher center x-pipe (muffler bypass, vacuum-line valve controlled). Basically full muffler delete. :D

Sharkwerks / FVD exhaust combo - YouTube

Sharkwerks / FVD exhaust combo 2 - YouTube