6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991-145/)
-   -   Fabspeed Exhaust Upgrades (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991/315938-fabspeed-exhaust-upgrades.html)

Compukidd 08-22-2013 08:20 AM

Fabspeed Exhaust Upgrades

Hi....I was thinking of purchasing the Fabspeed Center Muffler Bypass X-pipe as my first step and then the Fabspeed 991 Carrera Side Maxflo Mufflers. Is this a logical way to proceed? With just the center X-pipe will I notice any change in the cars sound or performance? Thanks!

jmorgan911 08-22-2013 09:41 AM

Funny I'm in the same process of deciding which one I will start with. I may start with the X-pipe and tips and see where it goes from there.

Compukidd 08-22-2013 09:55 AM

I put the tips on last night. I have another thread in the 991 post with pics. Now i'm excited for the next upgrade, it's addictive.

Compukidd 08-23-2013 09:58 AM

Anyone upgrade with Fabspeed X-pipe?

empunker 08-23-2013 01:59 PM

I'm debating between these four configurations:

1. Fabspeed X-pipe and stock side mufflers (bypasses center muffler, eliminates valves)

2. Sharkwerks Exhaust and stock center muffler (bypasses side mufflers, retains valves)

3. Sharkwerks Exhaust and Fabspeed X-pipe (bypasses side mufflers, bypasses center muffler, eliminates valves)

4. Fabspeed Racing X-pipe (completely removes side mufflers, resonators in X-pipe, eliminates valves)

Option 3 is option 1 combined with option 2. I think options 3 and 4 will be the loudest, possibly option 3. :D

Dan@SharkWerks 08-23-2013 03:00 PM

Tried similar combinations to 1-3 but not 4:
1) We made a center cross-over bypass and found it was not a big enough change from the the PSE or non-PSE center muffler, and since it lost the switching and didn't sound as good it wasn't worth it. But I haven't heard the Fabspeed center.

2) This is the setup we've been talking about, and it's pretty loud/aggressive. I wouldn't recommend a louder system. It's plenty loud enough with the switch turned on :) Very grumbly like a muscle car.

3) Haven't tried the Fabspeed X, but did try a different aftermarket center muffler and the bypass sides. It was very loud, almost sounded like a Nascar V8. see my recommendation on #2.

If you want the most subtle change, bypassing the center as Fabspeed sells would probably be a good first step. I don't think you'll want to bypass everything but everyone's different. Luckily with 3 stock mufflers there's a solution for everyone.

onedae 08-23-2013 03:09 PM

A friend of mine did the Fabspeed xpipe only with stock (non PSE) side mufflers on a 2013 C4S. It sounds a little louder and more raspy at idle and lower RPM. But the stock setup seemed to get significantly louder when you nailed the gas and were at higher RPM and that extra sound is now gone. Maybe from losing the stock valves ??
If it were me, I would pass.
I should add that I have PSE on my 991S and the Fabspeed xpipe is nowhere close to sounding like it.

empunker 08-23-2013 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by onedae (Post 3923010)
A friend of mine did the Fabspeed xpipe only with stock (non PSE) side mufflers on a 2013 C4S. It sounds a little louder and more raspy at idle and lower RPM. But the stock setup seemed to get significantly louder when you nailed the gas and were at higher RPM and that extra sound is now gone. Maybe from losing the stock valves ??
If it were me, I would pass.

I think you're right. With the stock system on the S/PSE cars, the valves will open at higher RPM's causing the exhaust to exit directly out of the center muffler. With the Fabspeed X-pipe, you lose that ability and the exhaust must exit from the side mufflers at all times. Therefore with the Fabspeed X-pipe, you will notice that the car will be louder compared to when the valves are closed on the stock system, but perhaps not as loud (or the same) as if the valves were open on the stock system.

SM_ATL 08-23-2013 08:37 PM

Slightly off topic, but I have nearly new Fabspeed headers w/sportscat for sale ;)
Great addition IMHO: ~ 10-15% more sound and more responsive throttle (have not checked Fabspeed hp gains). No CEL.
PM me if interested.

Back to the Xpipe topic now...:o

jmorgan911 08-24-2013 06:12 PM

I'm ordering the x-pipe and maxflo side mufflers. Hope it sounds a little louder, at both low and high rpm's. I think the side bypass pipes may be too loud for my taste.

hova00 08-24-2013 06:43 PM

I just installed FVD's center xpipe with stock side mufflers and the sound is intoxicating. It makes PSE sound weak in comparison.

If it were me I would order Fabspeeds Xpipe and call it. Takes about 1hr for install and you will be on your way.

GMAC03 08-25-2013 05:40 AM

Shark Werks exhaust being installed this week, will post comments when complete

Fabspeed Motorsport 08-26-2013 10:21 AM

Congrats

Congratulations on getting ready for the next progress with your Porsche, I look forward to offering any help you need.

jmorgan911 08-26-2013 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by hova00 (Post 3923653)
I just installed FVD's center xpipe with stock side mufflers and the sound is intoxicating. It makes PSE sound weak in comparison.

If it were me I would order Fabspeeds Xpipe and call it. Takes about 1hr for install and you will be on your way.

Any videos? I'm debating between the full FVD sport muffler and the FVD x-pipe bypass. Hows the low end torque?

LPB987S 08-26-2013 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dan@SharkWerks (Post 3923006)
Tried similar combinations to 1-3 but not 4:
1) We made a center cross-over bypass and found it was not a big enough change from the the PSE or non-PSE center muffler, and since it lost the switching and didn't sound as good it wasn't worth it. But I haven't heard the Fabspeed center.

2) This is the setup we've been talking about, and it's pretty loud/aggressive. I wouldn't recommend a louder system. It's plenty loud enough with the switch turned on :) Very grumbly like a muscle car.

3) Haven't tried the Fabspeed X, but did try a different aftermarket center muffler and the bypass sides. It was very loud, almost sounded like a Nascar V8. see my recommendation on #2.

If you want the most subtle change, bypassing the center as Fabspeed sells would probably be a good first step. I don't think you'll want to bypass everything but everyone's different. Luckily with 3 stock mufflers there's a solution for everyone.

Hi Dan, in option (2) you mention it's loud with the "switch" on. I'm assuming this is for cars with PSE; you're talking about the PSE button. What about with the stock centre muffler woth no PSE switch, how aggressive is the sound ? Thanks!