6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991-145/)
-   -   Clear Bra (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991/317069-clear-bra.html)

MikeDi 09-11-2013 12:23 PM

I have Xpel on the entire front on my car including mirrors and fenders back to the front doors. It is a great product. It actually heals itself. I had some type of debris hit my hood and it made deep marks in the film. The marks were raised and you could actually feel them. In about a week and half the marks disappeared completely. No damage to the paint. I think the healing time frame depends on how warm it is and if the surface gets direct sun.

robbieracer 09-11-2013 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by MikeDi (Post 3935225)
I have Xpel on the entire front on my car including mirrors and fenders back to the front doors. It is a great product. It actually heals itself. I had some type of debris hit my hood and it made deep marks in the film. The marks were raised and you could actually feel them. In about a week and half the marks disappeared completely. No damage to the paint. I think the healing time frame depends on how warm it is and if the surface gets direct sun.

Wow, that's great! I saw a video on the healing process, I you're correct the heat speeds up the process. I think you can also run warm/hot water over it too.

rwh 09-11-2013 04:01 PM

I am wondering if Xpel is available in Michigan?

jnscolo 09-11-2013 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by rwh (Post 3935424)
I am wondering if Xpel is available in Michigan?

If you type XPEL in your search engine, then perform three clicks, you get here:

http://locator.xpel.com/search/clear...tates/Michigan

GrayBlack 09-11-2013 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by scatkins (Post 3932691)
Starting to research Clear bra's..But a general questionions....

I realize that the need might vary by type of driving and roads etc.. In my the past in my general area, most of my cars have been damaged mainly by %&*x& truckers either directly from uncovered loads scattering debris or by getting hit by their debris.

But I've mainly been nailed in the windows with that.. Not a lot of hood or front damage. So I'm wondering about others experience if a 997/991 front tends to be a magnet or not for chips?

For those who have them, did you get it done right away after delivery or wait a while? How effective are they for minimizing damage from the typical highway gravel stuff..

I'd definitely recommend Xpel Ultimate. I had mine wrapped by Evan @ Auto Armour today. He wrapped my hood, fenders, bumper, headlights, door cups and rear impact panels. If the clear bra is installed properly you won't even know it's there.

shaytun 09-14-2013 10:04 AM

I wanted to piggyback on some of the other questions. I would think because 911's are so sloping in their shape, they'd be less susceptible to direct hits from road debris? Is it more of an issue of being low and driving fast?
Also, I'd like to get an idea of what percentage of owners use clear bras.
Where do people get the most damage?
If a clear bra is placed on, let's say, just the bumper, will the paint underneath fade differently compared to uncovered body panels?
Have people had experience with anything other than Xpel, such as 3M? Do either change color over time?
When you had these installed, what kind of warranty came with the install?

MoeMistry 09-14-2013 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by shaytun (Post 3937245)
I wanted to piggyback on some of the other questions. I would think because 911's are so sloping in their shape, they'd be less susceptible to direct hits from road debris? Is it more of an issue of being low and driving fast?
Also, I'd like to get an idea of what percentage of owners use clear bras.
Where do people get the most damage?
If a clear bra is placed on, let's say, just the bumper, will the paint underneath fade differently compared to uncovered body panels?
Have people had experience with anything other than Xpel, such as 3M? Do either change color over time?
When you had these installed, what kind of warranty came with the install?

Nice chatting with you today. Hope I answered all your questions.

For those that want to know:

1. 911 shape and how low it is to the ground, makes the bumper area much more susceptible to the daily driving road chips

2. Most our clients, at least ones with newer 911s, are opting for clear film now that there's a film like XPEL Ultimate on the market

3. The degree of color change is based on color of the vehicle and the amount of time in direct sun exposure. A daily driver, that's a darker in color, will have noticeable color difference one clear film is removed. This is because the film is acting as further UV protection. On lighter color cars, and those not in direct sun too often, there is little to no difference in covered and uncovered area

4. We have seen all brands come through our doors since we're also a detailing company. They all have their pros and cons. We've decided to use XPEL Ultimate based on clarity, durability, and warranty. To me, there's not another film on the market that can meet all 3 criteria to our strict standards

5. Only speaking for our warranty, it's 10 years, material and labor

shaytun 09-14-2013 05:11 PM

Thanks for taking the time to answer those questions today.

ptmobile 09-15-2013 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by MoeMistry (Post 3937479)
Nice chatting with you today. Hope I answered all your questions.

For those that want to know:

1. 911 shape and how low it is to the ground, makes the bumper area much more susceptible to the daily driving road chips

2. Most our clients, at least ones with newer 911s, are opting for clear film now that there's a film like XPEL Ultimate on the market

3. The degree of color change is based on color of the vehicle and the amount of time in direct sun exposure. A daily driver, that's a darker in color, will have noticeable color difference one clear film is removed. This is because the film is acting as further UV protection. On lighter color cars, and those not in direct sun too often, there is little to no difference in covered and uncovered area. This was my mothers car so I know all the details of the vehicle as far as care and maintenance goes. Also in 12 years of installing film I have yet to see one single vehicle have film removed where there was a color difference. Not saying it cant happen... but after removing film on literally hundreds of vehicles over the years I figured I would have ran across this at some point... and it hasn't happened.

4. We have seen all brands come through our doors since we're also a detailing company. They all have their pros and cons. We've decided to use XPEL Ultimate based on clarity, durability, and warranty. To me, there's not another film on the market that can meet all 3 criteria to our strict standards

5. Only speaking for our warranty, it's 10 years, material and labor

I have pulled film off of a 2003 Thunderbird that had a partial hood on it since day one. The car sat in the sun daily, was washed weekly, and had Zaino applied to it about every month. After 9 years of the film being on there the hood piece was keyed. I removed it and replaced the film... there was NO color difference at all between the covered areas and the uncovered areas. The car is red so it would have some sun fade if that were true.

scatkins 11-29-2013 03:35 PM

Hi FASTRNU, did you ever do your DIY install? If so how did it go?

Originally Posted by FASTRNU (Post 3933968)
I have some precut Clearplex on order. Read mostly good reviews between here and Rennlist. Lots of guys that track their cars use it and like it. Doesn't look like a hard DIY. I'll report back after I do the install.

j080808 11-29-2013 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by scatkins (Post 3991101)
Hi FASTRNU, did you ever do your DIY install? If so how did it go?

I just installed Clearplex for the second time, the first one was beat-up from track days and the such (lasted 2500 miles).

I thought for sure I had learned from my install mistakes on the first, but the second didnt turn out as well as I expected. Clearplex is an excellent product, but the trick and key is a good install. There are two different methods they say to use, one is a 1 person job where you roll it onto itself, the second it a two person job where one person holds and the other takes off the liner and wets it down, then both place it on the windshield. I would recommend the second. Here is the reason why: using method one allows the possibility of dirt (stuff that sticks to the product during shipping, etc) to stay on the product/liner (no matter how clean you think you have it). The second method does not allow as much dirt to get wrapped up on the product.

I would also recommend Clearplex be installed immediately after delivery (like clear bra) as any chips in the windshield could result in bubbles (the product is thick and not malleable like clear bra).

If I were doing it over again, I would buy two, if the first install didnt turn out right, just do it over.

Great product if you are like me and don't want chips or nicks, IMO the factory installed windshield is the only time a windshield is installed perfect, plus when replacing a windshield, some guy tearing apart my mirror housing and R&Ring the old/new one makes me nervous.

scatkins 11-30-2013 01:16 PM

Thanks... I'll give it a try... I may experiment on my wife's forerunner first..

Originally Posted by j080808 (Post 3991120)
I just installed Clearplex for the second time, the first one was beat-up from track days and the such (lasted 2500 miles). I thought for sure I had learned from my install mistakes on the first, but the second didnt turn out as well as I expected. Clearplex is an excellent product, but the trick and key is a good install. There are two different methods they say to use, one is a 1 person job where you roll it onto itself, the second it a two person job where one person holds and the other takes off the liner and wets it down, then both place it on the windshield. I would recommend the second. Here is the reason why: using method one allows the possibility of dirt (stuff that sticks to the product during shipping, etc) to stay on the product/liner (no matter how clean you think you have it). The second method does not allow as much dirt to get wrapped up on the product. I would also recommend Clearplex be installed immediately after delivery (like clear bra) as any chips in the windshield could result in bubbles (the product is thick and not malleable like clear bra). If I were doing it over again, I would buy two, if the first install didnt turn out right, just do it over. Great product if you are like me and don't want chips or nicks, IMO the factory installed windshield is the only time a windshield is installed perfect, plus when replacing a windshield, some guy tearing apart my mirror housing and R&Ring the old/new one makes me nervous.

scatkins 02-20-2014 02:31 PM

Old thread, but I thought I'd give it some closure for the benefit of those doing research..

I took delivery of my 991S early this month.. And had it wrapped and prepared by Moe at Glistening Perfection..

I had some reservations about the entire clear bra issue and didn't completely decide to do it until right about the time the car delivered. I was petrified of getting the car all chipped up, as I can't seem to get on a freeway around socal without some flippen gravel truck or cement truck boxing me in.. My last two cars ended up with chips before I hit 200 miles.. So I was probably going to go postal on the truck driver if it happened on my 991..

But I didn't want to mess up the looks of the car.. But I'm happy to report it looks great, so I give kudos for the fine work that Moe does.. I really can't tell it's on there. And I'm a tad less paranoid about road rash as well which is nice..

Will post some pics of the finished product work.

sigh... if only a black car could stay clean for more than 15 minutes :)

MoeMistry 02-21-2014 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by scatkins (Post 4052484)
Old thread, but I thought I'd give it some closure for the benefit of those doing research..

I took delivery of my 991S early this month.. And had it wrapped and prepared by Moe at Glistening Perfection..

I had some reservations about the entire clear bra issue and didn't completely decide to do it until right about the time the car delivered. I was petrified of getting the car all chipped up, as I can't seem to get on a freeway around socal without some flippen gravel truck or cement truck boxing me in.. My last two cars ended up with chips before I hit 200 miles.. So I was probably going to go postal on the truck driver if it happened on my 991..

But I didn't want to mess up the looks of the car.. But I'm happy to report it looks great, so I give kudos for the fine work that Moe does.. I really can't tell it's on there. And I'm a tad less paranoid about road rash as well which is nice..

Will post some pics of the finished product work.

sigh... if only a black car could stay clean for more than 15 minutes :)

Thanks Steve for giving us the opportunity to work on your new 991. My goodness, was that black paint soft :eek::eek: I don't know how the average guy will ever have a chance of keeping it looking nice and minimize swirls and scratches. Luckily, you've got the entire front wrapped with Suntek Topcoat and the rest of the painted surfaces are nano coated.

Look forward to seeing you for the follow up in a week or so.

akbjr 02-21-2014 08:29 AM

Hi moe

Can you pm me some package prices for a 2014 c4s?

Any recommend installers in Chicago?