6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991-145/)
-   -   Clear Bra (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991/317069-clear-bra.html)

scatkins 09-07-2013 02:36 PM

Clear Bra

Starting to research Clear bra's..But a general questionions....

I realize that the need might vary by type of driving and roads etc.. In my the past in my general area, most of my cars have been damaged mainly by %&*x& truckers either directly from uncovered loads scattering debris or by getting hit by their debris.

But I've mainly been nailed in the windows with that.. Not a lot of hood or front damage. So I'm wondering about others experience if a 997/991 front tends to be a magnet or not for chips?

For those who have them, did you get it done right away after delivery or wait a while? How effective are they for minimizing damage from the typical highway gravel stuff..

chuckbdc 09-07-2013 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by scatkins (Post 3932691)
Starting to research Clear bra's..But a general questionions....

I realize that the need might vary by type of driving and roads etc.. In my the past in my general area, most of my cars have been damaged mainly by %&*x& truckers either directly from uncovered loads scattering debris or by getting hit by their debris.

But I've mainly been nailed in the windows with that.. Not a lot of hood or front damage. So I'm wondering about others experience if a 997/991 front tends to be a magnet or not for chips?

For those who have them, did you get it done right away after delivery or wait a while? How effective are they for minimizing damage from the typical highway gravel stuff..

911s are susceptible to minor stone chips on all frontal surfaces in normal driving, more if tracked: bumper, hood, headlight covers, mirrors, windshield.

Clear bras are very effective. Most of what would chip or mar paint does nothing. Some marks in the plastic are inevitable but in general the paint is protected.

I have a front bumper, hood half bra, headlights and mirrors covered and have some stone marks in the plastic after 16 months and 15 k miles. I had it done before taking the car, and next time (or on replacement) I will get the full frontal (whole hood and fenders) done.

In the past I repainted, but that cost more these days.

scatkins 09-07-2013 03:25 PM

Thanks for those comments...

No tracking in my future, but I'm sure the gravel on the roads around where I live can do equal damage.. Also I've been hit out in the deserts before with sand.. And in just a second it is like applying 150 grit sandpaper to the finish.

1) Have you picked up rash on the uncovered surface you mentioned you would cover next time.. (Fenders etc)

2) Do you feel that the bra compromises the looks of the car finish in general. I.e. is it readily noticeable? My understanding is that they look pretty good...

I guess I'm just considering that if the bra deteriorates the finish, I'm wondering if a couple of dings might not be the lesser of two evils..

Originally Posted by chuckbdc (Post 3932710)
911s are susceptible to minor stone chips on all frontal surfaces in normal driving, more if tracked: bumper, hood, headlight covers, mirrors, windshield.

Clear bras are very effective. Most of what would chip or mar paint does nothing. Some marks in the plastic are inevitable but in general the paint is protected.

I have a front bumper, hood half bra, headlights and mirrors covered and have some stone marks in the plastic after 16 months and 15 k miles. I had it done before taking the car, and next time (or on replacement) I will get the full frontal (whole hood and fenders) done.

In the past I repainted, but that cost more these days.

j080808 09-07-2013 03:34 PM

I had the whole front end done, rear rockers (where the factory piece is, but much bigger) and behind the rear wheels. Covering these areas and Clearplex on the windshield allows me to drive with far more enjoyment knowing its covered.

Couple years ago I ran over a piece of tire tread in my Panamera. Tore up the clear bra on the front bumper but left no damage to the paint, that sealed the deal for me. IMO the positives far outweigh the negatives.

PorscheCrazy 09-07-2013 04:26 PM

IMO clearbra is a must. If you care about the paint on the car - get it. It will save you from road rash, debris, chips, etc. You won't even notice it if done by good shop. You may be better off not having dealer do it - do some research and get it done on your own and as soon a possible. If you don't want to see a line, I recommend full hood. The car sits low and have noticed that my windshield has some pitting from road rash. You might think about Clearplex. Others on the forum have applied it and appear happy with it.

Airportrat 09-08-2013 08:08 AM

If you are in Southern California call Mo at Glistening Perfection in Aliso Valejo. He can help you choose the right material. He has done two of my cars and the protection is great.

FASTRNU 09-08-2013 01:36 PM

Clearbra type front bras is a must. I just bought a '14 Cab, and I am hardly driving it anywhere until I get this put on. Got some schedule stuff peventing me from having it put on right away, so it will sit in the garage until I get it put on at the Dealer. Most of the high end car dealers/owners in this area use a product called SpeedFilm.

scatkins 09-08-2013 02:01 PM

Thanks, Aliso Viejo is right near where I live.. I'll check him out..

Originally Posted by Airportrat (Post 3932968)
If you are in Southern California call Mo at Glistening Perfection in Aliso Valejo. He can help you choose the right material. He has done two of my cars and the protection is great.

XPEL 09-09-2013 02:40 PM

Xpel

10 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by scatkins (Post 3933143)

Glistening Perfection is a an XPEL certified installer and they do amazing work.
Their contact information is:

Glistening Perfection
Precision Auto Detailing
27101 Aliso Creek Rd., Suite 144
Aliso Viejo, CA 92656
888.459.7130 Toll Free
949.273.5501 Direct
949.273.5502 Fax
info@glisteningperfection.com

Here is an installation thread (WITH VIDEO) of a brand new 911 that got a full front, plus both doors protected with XPEL ULTIMATE self-healing film.
http://blog.xpel.com/2014-porsche-91...on-houston-tx/

Attachment 278596

Attachment 278597

Attachment 278598

Attachment 278600

Attachment 278599

MoeMistry 09-09-2013 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by scatkins (Post 3933143)

To answer your original question, most, at least our clients, get the front end wrapped within hours of taking delivery of their new cars. At the latest, a few weeks depending on how often being driven. Reason being, if you're even considering wrapping the car, why not just do it from the beginning and avoid any chips from day one.

We use XPEL Ultimate exclusively. I've tried venturshield, 3M, prestige, etc. Until Ultimate, I wasn't a fan of the clear film, but we installed it anyway since the protection was important. Now, as a detailer, I can remedy things like water spots, bird droppings, starches, etc. with XPEL Ultimate and can finally see this product of value. Oh, another feature of Ultimate, NO SWRILS. The film self-heals and no matter what untrained person washes your car, wherever you have film, it's difficult, not impossible, to swirls up.

Our typical install, consists of full hood, full bumper, full fenders, mirrors, and headlights. We don't do partials or pre-cuts with exposed edges. Unique to GP, we also perform a pre-installation prep and post-installation nano coating application. All our bumper installs include dis-Assembly of bumper, removing of all plastic trim, wrapping as much edge as possible, then re-assembling trim and bumper. A LOT of LABOR...but the end result is as seamless and invisible of an install as possible.

I'm happy to answer all your questions...feel free to post here, call, or PM.

MoeMistry 09-09-2013 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by XPEL Tech (Post 3933806)
Glistening Perfection is a an XPEL certified installer and they do amazing work.
Their contact information is:

Glistening Perfection
Precision Auto Detailing
27101 Aliso Creek Rd., Suite 144
Aliso Viejo, CA 92656
888.459.7130 Toll Free
949.273.5501 Direct
949.273.5502 Fax
info@glisteningperfection.com

Here is an installation thread (WITH VIDEO) of a brand new 911 that got a full front, plus both doors protected with XPEL ULTIMATE self-healing film.
http://blog.xpel.com/2014-porsche-91...on-houston-tx/

2014 Porsche 911 Carrera S Cabriolet gets XPEL Clear Bra Paint Protection - YouTube

Attachment 278596

Attachment 278597

Attachment 278598

Attachment 278600

Attachment 278599

THANKS!!! Glad we're aligned with a manufacturer that is cutting-edge

It was an absolute pleasure doing your 991, and Jag E-Type ;) Glad to see the film is holding up well, and we're almost at the 1-year mark on your 991...time flies

MoeMistry 09-09-2013 03:34 PM

Almost forgot, here's a write-up we did on Airportrat's 991...unfortunately, he had an unskilled installation prior to us, but all was made right after the GP touch ;)

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-carrera.html

ModHog 09-09-2013 03:45 PM

+1 on Moe @ Glistening Perfection. He does amazing work and the guys at Xpel were very helpful in answering all of my questions too.

Clear bra is a must as the car is very low and the with low sloping hood line is a magnet for rock and debris. After reading all the clear bra install horror stories I chose Moe. I read many of his posts and he is meticulous and does amazing work. If you're in So Cal, it's worth the trip.

On another note, I've been going back and forth on Clearplex as it's gotten mixed review with clarity and longevity. With that being said, I had a truck kick up a large object that broke my windshield after 1 week with the car. Went through 3 windshields on the 997. Maybe some Clearplex users can chime in?

Get the clear bra and use a reputable installer, you won't regret it.

FASTRNU 09-09-2013 06:51 PM

I have some precut Clearplex on order. Read mostly good reviews between here and Rennlist. Lots of guys that track their cars use it and like it. Doesn't look like a hard DIY. I'll report back after I do the install.

robbieracer 09-11-2013 07:46 AM

I have Xpel on the entire front on my car including mirrors and in front of the rear tires. It's a great product and protects the paint from those nasty stone chips. Most people don't even notice it's there until I point it out.