6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991-145/)
-   -   parking brake update fixed hill hold (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991/320827-parking-brake-update-fixed-hill-hold.html)

certified_prime 10-27-2013 02:33 PM

parking brake update fixed hill hold

I had the parking brake software updated on my car recently, and it appears to have fixed the hill hold issue. I no longer almost stall out when trying to get the car to release. It is much smoother and more natural now.

Fester 10-27-2013 02:57 PM

Which MY?
You have manual/PDK?

certified_prime 10-27-2013 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Fester (Post 3967309)
Which MY?
You have manual/PDK?

Built Mar 2012. Manual.

nicoli 10-27-2013 06:17 PM

Wow thx for the info - will call service and inquire about this. It is sooo sticky that hill hold! Hehe :)

(via 6SpeedOnline iOS)

CarreraPete 10-28-2013 05:26 PM

That is great news indeed. My first 991 (early 2013) was driving me crazy with its overly zealous hill-hold function. My second 991 (May 2013 build) has no such problem, so hopefully the problem is software related.

dhill911 10-28-2013 06:36 PM

I got the software update for my Parking Break and have not encountered any hill hold problems since. . . . Knock on wood.

mrstep 11-02-2013 07:11 AM

Hi guys, do any of you happen to have the update ID code?

I stopped by my dealer and the service advisor couldn't seem to find anything related to a parking brake update in the system. Maybe that means I already have it (? - Dec 2012 build with Jan 2013 delivery), but it certainly seems a bit over-grippy to me when releasing and is the only thing that has managed to stall the car.

Thanks for any info!

Christophosphorus 11-05-2013 12:38 PM

It would be great if we could determine the MY/month of cars that already came with the updates. I believe my car was built in May of 2013, but the "overly attached" hill hold syndrome was the first thing I noticed when driving the car.

eg991 11-05-2013 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Christophosphorus (Post 3973964)
It would be great if we could determine the MY/month of cars that already came with the updates. I believe my car was built in May of 2013, but the "overly attached" hill hold syndrome was the first thing I noticed when driving the car.

Same here. I've gotten used to it by now, but it's definitely a much more aggressive hold than the hill assist on any other MT car I've driven.

mrstep 11-05-2013 01:53 PM

Yep. It really is the only thing about the car that makes me wish it was just a manual parking brake - I'm fine with setting it when parked, but I'd rather either have to go to 1st quickly or have a parking brake I can disengage myself if the computer is going to be so 'assistful'. Thank goodness for auto-restart anyway so I didn't look like such a dork on the minor inclines where this has happened! :)

I think slight inclines are the biggest problem anyway - you don't think it's going to engage - and it really doesn't need to - and suddenly the car isn't moving as you release the clutch. You can stall or... One start like that had me gun the engine to keep it from stalling, and I'm sure the guy behind me thought I was just being a 911 a-hole revving the engine. I mean, maybe some other time, but I wasn't trying to... ;)

I'm hoping certified_prime of dhill911 either know (or, if it's not asking too much, get a hold of from their dealers) the code for the update. All I know is my service guy looked around and searched under a number of different names and couldn't find anything that looked related, and this is an update I'd be really happy to have!

mrstep 11-11-2013 10:31 AM

Bump - anyone? Thanks!

certified_prime 11-11-2013 10:43 AM

Here are the codes from my invoice:

WD08 Reprogramming of Electric Parking Brake Control Unit
FC: WD080660001

I hope that helps.

mrstep 11-11-2013 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by certified_prime (Post 3978044)
Here are the codes from my invoice:

WD08 Reprogramming of Electric Parking Brake Control Unit
FC: WD080660001

I hope that helps.

Thank you so much!

I'll run this by my dealer, hopefully with better results! ;) I think the service advisor was looking for something with TIxxxx (or I may be mis-remembering, but it wasn't a WD code in any case).

nicoli 11-11-2013 11:41 AM

This is my situation also - contacted dealer but no firm answer on an update. Thanks a lot for the extra info - very much appreciated.

Edit: just off phone with service advisor - the numbers did it. Thanks! Taking her in thursday for the update.

certified_prime 11-11-2013 02:32 PM

You will find that it dramatically changes the feel of the hill hold. It is much more subtle now. I am really happy that they fixed it.

Now, I just wish there was an option in the PCM to have the Parking Brake automatically engage when I turn off the car, so I don't have to perform that awkward left-hand reach-down every time I exit the car.