991 + Panamera = too much "sameness"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:00 PM
carsnob is on a distinguished road
991 + Panamera = too much "sameness"

Two different cars for sure, but behind the wheel of both do you owners of both a 991 and Panamera feel they're too much the same with the instrument cluster etc? Kind of hard to say driving both could be a little boring but does it seem a bit repetitive??

Old 01-21-2014, 09:20 PM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by carsnob
Do you owners of both a 991 and Panamera feel they're too much the same?
Are there really a lot of people with both?

Old 01-21-2014, 09:56 PM
stealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond repute
I think it's convenient to have the same controls on 2 cars.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:41 PM
tanman will become famous soon enough
The Panamera feels much bigger and heavier. The feedback is not as sharp compared to the 991. The wife pimarily drives it as her DD. I think she sums up the difference as the Panamera is less bumpy and more luxurious because it,'s more roomy. That somehow makes sense to me.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:06 PM
onapex is on a distinguished road
I don't have both but I would think having similar controls would be a benefit. It's like having an iPad and a Macbook vs an iPad and a Windows laptop. You want same interface, controls, buttons.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:08 PM
DMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the rough
Actually, I enjoy the similarities between my P-GTS and my 991S. I already know where everything is - don't have to figure out which button does what when I switch cars. I drive both as alternate DDs. More miles in the 991 in summer; more in the Panny in winter. I love them both. The 991 is obviously the track/AX car, although I keep threatening to take the Panny to a track event one of these days.

What does annoy me are the little differences between the two. Really - Porsche could have the two gas gauges match? In one car E is on the left, in the other it's on the right. I never know which is which and a quick glance doesn't work. I actually have to read it to make sure. Grump grump grump.

DMoore
'13 991S
'13 Panamera GTS

Old 01-21-2014, 11:18 PM
cal911 is on a distinguished road
I thought I wanted one until I heard it called "Panny"

Old 01-22-2014, 02:42 AM
Rainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud of
Well, I have both.
C2S SPASM and a Pana Diesel.

Yes, at first glance the driving position and what you see is very similar. If you are in the Pana and don't look too hard you could think you are in the 911.

However, they are very different cars and have a completely different feel. No, it's not the Diesel - it sounds, if anything, like a V8 Petrol and even at idle has none of the Diesel sounds you would normally expect. That's why they put big "diesel" signs on the side of the car - whithout them there would be no telling - only the rev counter gives it away.

The Pana pulls rather nicely, the turbos have a small amount of lag from idle but once on the boil power (and loads of torque) kick rather impressively.

You can't however compare the two cars - they feel very different on the road. Yes, some say the Pana shrinks around you. That's bulldust. It's a big car and there is no doubt it is a big car.
It's very comfortable and roomy, nicely appointed inside and a nice place to be (slightly nicer than the 911). I like the center console.
The Pana is sure footed on the road and displays good balance. It goes through corners at high speeds totally unphased - at the same speeds I feel the 911 is much more demanding. No kidding - I'll stick to that statement even though the 911 will of course push the higher cornering speeds.

The 911 sounds much nicer and you are lower to the ground - you can feel you are in a lighter car. The 911 is nimbler but the Pana is not a fat elephant (even though it looks like one).

Despite the similar console and dash, these are completely different cars. never make the mistake of thinking the Pana is just a more family friendly sports car. It is not. It certainly has good performance and pedigree but it is not a sports car. It never will be.

I like my Pana, it's a good daily driver.
I like my 991, it's a good daily driver.

There you have it.

Rainier

Old 01-22-2014, 08:10 AM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by hawc
Are there really a lot of people with both?
Yes. Lots of people have multiple Porsches. Why not? If you and/or your spouse have an SUV and/or a 4-door sedan as a 2nd, 3rd or 4th car in the garage, why wouldn't it also be a Porsche? Your dealer will confirm.

Highest Initial Build Quality the last 2 or 3 years. High collision safety, modern technology. Similar ****pits and controls. Left-hand starter. Fabulous driveability.

Lots of reasons.

We have three 2013's in the garage right now. Why not?

Old 01-22-2014, 09:50 AM
ae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to behold
Its a nice problem to have!

Old 01-23-2014, 03:00 PM
Havok is a glorious beacon of lightHavok is a glorious beacon of lightHavok is a glorious beacon of lightHavok is a glorious beacon of lightHavok is a glorious beacon of light
It's a night and day difference between my 991 c2s and a panamera S. I would say the cayenne S felt better than the panamera S.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:55 PM
T-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to behold
Yup! And a Turbo Cayenne. All white! 😉

Old 01-23-2014, 09:57 PM
T-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to behold
The stable.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	684.1 KB
ID:	324519