How long do Carbon Ceramic Brakes last for street driving?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 02:17 PM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
How long do Carbon Ceramic Brakes last for street driving?

I need to convince the lady that CCBs are practical and worth the price. I don't track at all but i like the bling. From my understanding CCB rotors should last the life of a vehicle if its only street driven (assuming less than average mi/yr driven), but how long do the pads usually last?

Old 02-16-2014, 03:20 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
They are not worth the extra cost unless you like yellow. IMHO a complete waste of money. Throw the money at a burmeister instead Even the base brakes are more than you need for a daily driver and the car is light I have 30000 miles and have over 70% remaining on the front brakes

Buy some yellow paint

Last edited by rnl; 02-16-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:36 PM
Banned
CALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond repute
when... and you will trade it in, its going to be a point of concern for the next owner/dealer on the cost to replace them because only you will really know if you tracked the car. They won't. However if you lease it no problem other then the extra monthly cost for the increased purchased cost. IMO I wouldn't paint them. Either get the real thing of forgitaboutit.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:45 PM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
Odds are highly against me since i have a habit of leasing or changing cars every couple years. But what i'm going to try to do is keep a car for the long haul. That's the only reason why the lady will entertain the idea of $8,000 brakes. If they last 10+ years, we would have made up in pad/rotor replacements and labor.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:56 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FNG
Odds are highly against me since i have a habit of leasing or changing cars every couple years. But what i'm going to try to do is keep a car for the long haul. That's the only reason why the lady will entertain the idea of $8,000 brakes. If they last 10+ years, we would have made up in pad/rotor replacements and labor.
Like every option on these cars it's personal preference. Whatever floats your cruise ship. These brakes are a performance option and if something ever goes wrong with a disk out of warranty I would not want to pay to replace a pair of disks.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:39 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
If you don't track...they should last the life time of your car...100k+....but you need to stay on top of your pads. I do not recall, but I believe they should be changed when at 50% or so. Pad changing is a super easy DIY. The first time may take a few hours but after that you can do all four in less then one hour. I kept mine on for just under one year before replacing with steel. I must say, essentially dust free and super clean wheels were an added plus not to mention the braking was phenomenal!

I am glad I did order my car with them, but if I had to do it again I would stick with steel and then upgrade to better racing brakes. Only because my vehicle is used primarily on the track, which is the safest place to drive them at your limit. : ]

Something to consider is your geographic location though, and how you plan on using the car year round....

Old 02-16-2014, 06:52 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rnl
Like every option on these cars it's personal preference. Whatever floats your cruise ship. These brakes are a performance option and if something ever goes wrong with a disk out of warranty I would not want to pay to replace a pair of disks.
Given the recent record with cruise ships, perhaps some other analogy...?

Old 02-16-2014, 07:17 PM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by VID997
I must say, essentially dust free and super clean wheels were an added plus
Big bonus here..

Old 02-16-2014, 07:36 PM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
Pads and steel rotors are cheap.
You would need PCCB to last 2 car lifetimes to make the cost of maintenance argument valid.
If you ever chip a PCCB disk, that gets very expensive.

They are very nice brakes with some benefits but you wont make it up on maintenance savings.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by lunarx
Pads and steel rotors are cheap.
You would need PCCB to last 2 car lifetimes to make the cost of maintenance argument valid.
But she doesn't need to know that

Old 02-17-2014, 12:25 PM
Thanks for your insight fellas

Old 02-17-2014, 12:31 PM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
for $8000 I am actually looking forward to cleaning my wheels

Old 02-17-2014, 04:20 PM
991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light
The extra stopping power might just save your life or keep you or a loved one from a serious wreck or injury. No one would question the cost then. Maybe a small chance that would happen, but it could.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:30 PM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
There are a lot of advantages:

$4K savings on brake maintenance (over life of car).

That leaves just $4K to justify with the following:

Added Safety (as 991TurboS stated).
Less Unsprung Weight (so better ride & handling).
Cleaner Wheels
Bling Apperance

If each of those is worth $1K each, you are good to go!

Old 02-17-2014, 05:21 PM
rnl
Originally Posted by AG991
Given the recent record with cruise ships, perhaps some other analogy...?
Too funny. I think what is being lost here is an appreciation of standard Porsche brakes. They may be a little messy in the first couple thousand miles - the dust seems to have tapered off as the miles add up - but they have absolutely incredible stopping power with little or no fade. These are excellent brakes

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How long do Carbon Ceramic Brakes last for street driving?