Personal 991/R8/M3/C7 comparo

Old 05-01-2014, 04:15 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Pics please! I love Sepang Blue

Old 05-01-2014, 04:17 PM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
Will Do!

It is being built on 6/9/14, so I won't see it until september.

I want to do a get together with some friends who have 911s and other neat cars and do a photo shoot!

When I get the 991, it will be sapphire blue all the way!

Old 05-01-2014, 04:20 PM
FrstPorsche is on a distinguished road
Thoughts on why the R8 at 175k+ doesn't feel overpriced? I thought the interior is dated and needs an upgrade for those prices when its refreshed in a year or two.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:58 PM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
Nah, not really. It just gets said frequently that it is outdated looking by car mags. I am never sure what they mean by that! It is almost like they have to find something to say. I personally was very sad when they moved away from the "c@ckpit" theme in cars and started making those weird split dashes like the E92 has. I mean, look at the NSX interior and try to find a possible improvement area. It just works. Clean, simple, no mirror-finished gizmos.
For Example, the new M4 dashboard is so busy with layers and odd chrome and CF strips that it looks like some bizzaro Robo-plaid fabric. And plaid is not a good look. The 991 is another clean& timeless design. But, note how it harkens back to the NSX and 1990 300ZX.
Sadly, I guess the new "modern" designs with an iPad sticking 8 inches out of the dash like the M4 is more "vogue" right now! To me, it just looks tacked on.

As far as value, remember that everything in the R8 C@ckpit is what it looks like. The gated shifter is set on a 1/4 inch thick billet of stainless steel. If it looks like aluminum, it is. Every surface is stitched leather. No Alu-look or whatever it is called. No manual vinyl seats. Nothing is held in with Velcro.

The nav is the only thing I was bummed about! It looks very 2011. Mind you, I can't say I use anything other than Google Maps on the iPhone for Nav. Once you use it, you can't go back!

The thing is, you look at schematics of the audi space frame, or the hand fabrication of the car, and you know it is worth the cash. (my build was around the cost of a loaded C4S).. no Macpherson struts or stampings here! They produce only a few per day. I am convinced Audi loses money on each one. Go take a look at the mega-factory special on youtube. I sat and watched that show with my brother in law, who worked as a process engineer at BMW, and he was awestruck with the details of assembly.

Again, not to take away from the 991. The fact is, the 991 is superior in many/most ways. But value is not one of the strong suits. Remember, they make $24,000 on each one. That is about 2X the margin on any other car. That margin gets squeezed out of somewhere.

One of the things that attracted me to the R8 was that it took some of the soul of the NSX, some of the Cayman, and some of the exotic(lambo/ferrari) and melded it together. It is such a unique product that I had to sample it. I did the same with my 2012 M3. I was told to grab the last of the NA V8s in the M line. I got to say, I have no regrets! I had 2 great years with the M that I will not forget. Now, 2 years with a unique gated shifter, semi-exotic. Then 2 years with a 991.2! Can life get any better!!
(if only I could afford that Radical SR8 that keeps catching my eye!!LOL)

I attached some pics of the naked R8. Do you know of any other car manufacturer that would even bother trying to show the structure of their vehicles?

Old 05-01-2014, 05:00 PM
here are the pics!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_286.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	669.8 KB
ID:	369317   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_287.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	675.3 KB
ID:	369318  
Old 05-01-2014, 05:03 PM
FrstPorsche is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JohnM
Nah, not really. It just gets said frequently that it is outdated looking by car mags. I am never sure what they mean by that! It is almost like they have to find something to say. I personally was very sad when they moved away from the "c@ckpit" theme in cars and started making those weird split dashes like the E92 has. I mean, look at the NSX interior and try to find a possible improvement area. It just works. Clean, simple, no mirror-finished gizmos.
For Example, the new M4 dashboard is so busy with layers and odd chrome and CF strips that it looks like some bizzaro Robo-plaid fabric. And plaid is not a good look. The 991 is another clean& timeless design. But, note how it harkens back to the NSX and 1990 300ZX.
Sadly, I guess the new "modern" designs with an iPad sticking 8 inches out of the dash like the M4 is more "vogue" right now! To me, it just looks tacked on.

As far as value, remember that everything in the R8 C@ckpit is what it looks like. The gated shifter is set on a 1/4 inch thick billet of stainless steel. If it looks like aluminum, it is. Every surface is stitched leather. No Alu-look or whatever it is called. No manual vinyl seats. Nothing is held in with Velcro.

The nav is the only thing I was bummed about! It looks very 2011. Mind you, I can't say I use anything other than Google Maps on the iPhone for Nav. Once you use it, you can't go back!

The thing is, you look at schematics of the audi space frame, or the hand fabrication of the car, and you know it is worth the cash. (my build was around the cost of a loaded C4S).. no Macpherson struts or stampings here! They produce only a few per day. I am convinced Audi loses money on each one. Go take a look at the mega-factory special on youtube. I sat and watched that show with my brother in law, who worked as a process engineer at BMW, and he was awestruck with the details of assembly.

Again, not to take away from the 991. The fact is, the 991 is superior in many/most ways. But value is not one of the strong suits. Remember, they make $24,000 on each one. That is about 2X the margin on any other car. That margin gets squeezed out of somewhere.

One of the things that attracted me to the R8 was that it took some of the soul of the NSX, some of the Cayman, and some of the exotic(lambo/ferrari) and melded it together. It is such a unique product that I had to sample it. I did the same with my 2012 M3. I was told to grab the last of the NA V8s in the M line. I got to say, I have no regrets! I had 2 great years with the M that I will not forget. Now, 2 years with a unique gated shifter, semi-exotic. Then 2 years with a 991.2! Can life get any better!!
(if only I could afford that Radical SR8 that keeps catching my eye!!LOL)

I attached some pics of the naked R8. Do you know of any other car manufacturer that would even bother trying to show the structure of their vehicles?
Thanks for the reply John. Well thought out. I look forward to the new car pics this summer.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:33 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
here are the pics!!
This is just too good
Only the sway bar looks a bit cheap next to abundance of aluminum and stainless steel !

Old 05-02-2014, 01:00 AM
wanderfalke will become famous soon enough
what going on with the brakes in the pics? duals

Old 05-02-2014, 01:51 AM
omegaSMP300 will become famous soon enough
Great write up. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Enjoy the R8. I look forward to seeing what the 991.2 will bring, as a potential buyer myself. Thanks again.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:03 AM
parking brake caliper!

Old 05-02-2014, 05:09 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
here are the pics!!
Not surprisingly, I agree with you that the only thing "dated" about the current R8 interior is the infotainment electronics - the rest of the interior is excellent, with great character and top shelf quality. Personally I prefer the old fashioned analog speedometer and tachometer etc. over the new design digital gauges that will be coming in the next gen R8.

John - your picture shows the R8 seats that we cannot get in the U.S., but they can be ordered from one of the OEM providers. They would solve your seat bottom issue. I never noticed it, but likely because we have different driving positions.

I'm awaiting the 991 GTS, which hopefully will arrive around the same time as gen 2 R8 to make a decision about "what's next" on my continual progression to bankruptcy.

Last edited by Alan; 05-02-2014 at 05:12 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:15 AM
Yeah....I already looked them up. They were like $15000/set. And I have to get someone to turn off the airbag warning light! Ugh!

I am buying a 3D printer and making a new Deadpedal. Should fix the issue with my left leg position. I am going to move the pedal back an inch and recline it slightly. I checked the schematics and it can be done! I am also printing a right armrest extension based on the TT one.

Another option was to sneak the RS5 seats in there..... but it probably would bore the folks on the 991 forum!!

Old 05-02-2014, 05:36 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by wanderfalke
what going on with the brakes in the pics? duals
Parking brake.

John, I'm jealous. I really did give some serious thought to the R8, especially since resale prices seem to be very strong on it. But I bought the 911, and honestly, I have no regrets on the decision. What a brilliant car!

As for the quoted $24,000 profit (average) on each car... well, sure, when you charge $3000 for an exhaust valve and $2800 for an upgraded stereo and $800 for satellite radio on top of that or $5300 for a slightly better than upgraded stereo, and $1600 for a glass sunroof... and that's before we start talking about power seats and dynamic suspensions, then yes, it's easy to build in a profit. The typical 911 has well over $15K in options. Some have twice that.

Ya gotta pay to play.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:39 AM
Very true! And I wouldn't want to see the awesome Porsche option sheet disappear! I love the ability to build the car just for me!

Audi started doing that recently. Just wish I could get the porsche 14 way seats in the R8!

Like alan said.....991 GTS......sounds like a plan!!!