6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991-145/)
-   -   Duck Tail spoiler Wicked Motor Works (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991/336216-duck-tail-spoiler-wicked-motor-works.html)

Jersey Shore 05-05-2014 07:24 PM

Duck Tail spoiler Wicked Motor Works

I want to add the duck tail spoiler to my 4S. I noticed Wicked MW is selling what looks like a great looking spoiler at quite a bit less. Anyone know anything about them and would you go after market or OEM. I know I have to have the sunroof reprogrammed if I do the install. I also know the sport front bumper is recommended. I don't track anymore and don't often drive at 150mph. Any thoughts.

lunarx 05-06-2014 04:23 AM

If you like the look, do it.
IMHO the car can only benefit from a little more rear downforce in turns.
On straights, I dont think the change will even be noticable.

Jersey Shore 05-06-2014 06:41 AM

Trying to get some intel on Wicked. If anyone has had any of their products and can share.

plenum 05-06-2014 07:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
For those interested in this thread, and like I perhaps would like to "see" more about the WMW duck tail, here is a link : 2012-2013 Porsche 991 Carrera Sport Design Duck Tail Wing Spoiler

And a pic if you don't feel like traveling....

Can't tell from the WMW site if this is an OEM part or if it was fabricated by their own shop. $2,299 for those who care.

Havok 05-06-2014 07:19 AM

Suncoast has oem parts:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...S_Exterioraero

plenum 05-06-2014 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Havok (Post 4107668)

Yeah, they do --- however they will NOT sell you just the rear spoiler. OEM, Porsche will only sell the complete aero package. For $4,400, probably not a bad deal (not including paint, install, etc. who knows?).

Interested in whether anyone on this board has actually purchased the OEM package after-sale, and had it installed? Total all-in cost?

Jersey Shore 05-06-2014 01:12 PM

I believe you can buy just the duck tail from Suncoast for $3895. You have to have a new sunroof control module installed that is compatible with the rear spoiler. I am trying to decide between the AM or to go OEM.

///Malcontent 05-06-2014 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jersey Shore (Post 4108042)
I believe you can buy just the duck tail from Suncoast for $3895. You have to have a new sunroof control module installed that is compatible with the rear spoiler. I am trying to decide between the AM or to go OEM.

I'm also interested in this option. Why doesn't the WM (or any other aftermarket unit) require a new sunroof control module? If the module can be reprogrammed, why isn't that the procedure for OEM as well?

I'll likely pair the duck tail with the Sport Spoiler lip.

Jersey Shore 05-06-2014 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by ///Malcontent (Post 4108083)
I'm also interested in this option. Why doesn't the WM (or any other aftermarket unit) require a new sunroof control module? If the module can be reprogrammed, why isn't that the procedure for OEM as well?

I'll likely pair the duck tail with the Sport Spoiler lip.

Porsche is always looking at the extreme situations which I give them credit for as many drivers track their cars. I believe that the reprogram along with them recommending the front sport bumper is all about speeds in excess of 150mph for overall stability. I don't know if a reprogram is the actual fix or if a new module is required I only know it was called out.

AM suppliers are not going to call that out for fear of losing an order due to the cost of a change. they leave it to you to do the right thing.

lunarx 05-06-2014 02:17 PM

If you can get the DuckTail and Front Bumper for $4400 why would you want to only get the DuckTail for $3895?

If anyone likes that deal, I will give you the extra $500 to get full kit if you then give me the Front Bumper.
I'll pay all shipping for you too, to make it an even better deal for you, than buying just the DuckTail.

I will then need to find someone to trade me PASM Springs for my SPASM springs, so I don't scrape that nice new front bumper ;)

keeperofbeasts 05-06-2014 02:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by jawells1 (Post 4107774)
Yeah, they do --- however they will NOT sell you just the rear spoiler. OEM, Porsche will only sell the complete aero package. For $4,400, probably not a bad deal (not including paint, install, etc. who knows?).

Interested in whether anyone on this board has actually purchased the OEM package after-sale, and had it installed? Total all-in cost?

My buddy recently had the Aerokit Cup and the Sport Exhaust Installed on his 2014 C2S and loves it - it cost a pretty penny and set him back almost $12K with all the installation and the paint job and top of that he has all the extra OEM parts lying around (front bumper, OEM Exhaust, rear Spoiler etc)

oh yeah and as you can see in the attached pic a new control unit was required - reprogramming is not enough

Not sure how much benefit it really provides (other than the awesome mean look) I wouldnt spend that much on these options but to each their own

///Malcontent 05-06-2014 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jersey Shore (Post 4108100)
Porsche is always looking at the extreme situations which I give them credit for as many drivers track their cars. I believe that the reprogram along with them recommending the front sport bumper is all about speeds in excess of 150mph for overall stability. I don't know if a reprogram is the actual fix or if a new module is required I only know it was called out.

AM suppliers are not going to call that out for fear of losing an order due to the cost of a change. they leave it to you to do the right thing.

Well, before I shell out $$$, I'd want to know if I needed a new module or if a reprogram can be done. I wouldn't be happy with a vendor saying, "You figure it out."

What I've found is the movable rear spoiler increases angle of attack when the sunroof is opened. At what speed that occurs, I don't know.

lunarx 05-06-2014 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by ///Malcontent (Post 4108145)
Well, before I shell out $$$, I'd want to know if I needed a new module or if a reprogram can be done. I wouldn't be happy with a vendor saying, "You figure it out."

What I've found is the movable rear spoiler increases angle of attack when the sunroof is opened. At what speed that occurs, I don't know.

Please put it in perspective, Porsche does some minor things in programming "because they can".
The 991 is not so delicate aerodynamically, that it will spin out of control from a sunroof programming or DuckTail.
If you like the DuckTail, just get it :cool:

Jersey Shore 05-06-2014 03:45 PM

[/QUOTE]
What I've found is the movable rear spoiler increases angle of attack when the sunroof is opened. At what speed that occurs, I don't know.[/QUOTE

I never said that I would accept anything a vendor said. I also said the module as far as I knew had to be replaced. I'm not a newbie. I have had several of these cars. I'm trying to decide what route to go either oem or am. If I go to Suncoast I would do both at $4400 instead of just the ducktail at $3895. I'm not there yet. I started by asking if anyone on the forum had experience with Wicked Motor Works.

ipse dixit 05-06-2014 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jersey Shore (Post 4107642)
Trying to get some intel on Wicked. If anyone has had any of their products and can share.

PM me.