Trading my base 991 for 981 Cayman S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 05:38 AM
caveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nice
Trading my base 991 for 981 Cayman S

My automotive ADD has taken over once again and I have decided to take advantage of Porsche's pull ahead program to get out of my 991 lease 12 months early and get into a new Cayman S.

The 991 is a base 7MT and has been great. When I got it two years ago I backed out of a brand new Boxster S to get a back seat for my sons. Now, two years later, my boys have grown like weeds and no longer fit there.

The Cayman is black on black (looks great but not my first choice from an upkeep perspective), and loaded with pdk, premium, sport chrono, PASM, info/Bose, Carrera Classics and Sport Design steering wheel. It's a Launch car that's been sitting on the dealer's lot for over a year but has 50 miles on it. Had I been buying the car, the color and lot time would have been a deal killer for me. But since I am leasing it for only 30 months, what the hell. It will be under warranty the entire duration and when the swirling gets bad, it'll be time to give it back.

My dealer is great and made me an unbelievable offer on the car - this will be my third car from them since 2011. The MSRP is just shy of $83k. They are selling the car at invoice, resulting in a monthly lease payment, including sales tax, of $883/mo for 30 months/7,500 miles with only first month and fees up front.

I spent a fair amount of time test driving the car yesterday. The mid engine layout is so balanced and the entire interior serves as an echo chamber for the glorious engine noise. I have been a manual transmission hold out but the PDK with paddles was just awesome.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cayman.jpg
Views:	1003
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	373389  

Last edited by caveatesq; 05-11-2014 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:44 AM
paradocs98 is on a distinguished road
Enjoy. Give us a comparison review in 2000 miles or so.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:27 AM
DallasDave is on a distinguished road
What are your initial performance comparison while the 991 is still fresh in your memory? Realize it's two different set-ups in your case (manual v pdk), but just curious your initial thoughts?

Dave in Dallas

Old 05-11-2014, 09:59 AM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
Looks like a beauty!! I wish I could fit in one!!

Old 05-11-2014, 04:32 PM
John's 991 is on a distinguished road
Looking forward to hearing your comparison after owning both.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:16 PM
omegaSMP300 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by caveatesq
When I got it two years ago I backed out of a brand new Boxster S to get a back seat for my sons. Now, two years later, my boys have grown like weeds and no longer fit there.
Lol "like weeds." Made the move from a 981 to a 997 in part for the backseat. It is all about personal preference and needs. They are awesome cars. Enjoy sir.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:13 PM
caveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nice
Originally Posted by DallasDave
What are your initial performance comparison while the 991 is still fresh in your memory? Realize it's two different set-ups in your case (manual v pdk), but just curious your initial thoughts?

Dave in Dallas
Honestly, the Cayman felt faster than my 911 but I suspect that much of that had to do with the lightning fast PDK downshift and the visceralness (if that's a word) of the added engine noise. With is engine directly behind your head and encapsulated within the cabin, the Cayman is a fair bit louder inside than the 911 - but in a good way. Upon getting back in the 911 after the spending an hour testing both a Boxster S and a Cayman S, I was immediately aware of the 911's rear weight bias. The 911 always fells like it has tons of grip but you can always feel here the motor is. The mid-engine cars both felt more balanced and less likely to bite back with a wrong move.

More to come once I pick up the Cayman and get to spend some more time with it.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:53 AM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Congrats! Good move!!

Agree with your comments. In the 991 you definitely feel the rear-biased setup and it always has grip. The 991 will be faster round a track (even with similar power), but the 981 is more fun to drive. It has a playfull setup. The 991 feels more mature and more comfortable as well. 981 is a nimble sportscar, 991 is a sportscar with GT ambitions.

None is the better car, they're just different.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:20 AM
keeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Suzy991
Congrats! Good move!!

Agree with your comments. In the 991 you definitely feel the rear-biased setup and it always has grip. The 991 will be faster round a track (even with similar power), but the 981 is more fun to drive. It has a playfull setup. The 991 feels more mature and more comfortable as well. 981 is a nimble sportscar, 991 is a sportscar with GT ambitions.

None is the better car, they're just different.
right on - the new Cayman S is an entry level car but a real nice one at that ..

Old 05-12-2014, 11:15 AM
empunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of light
Very nice 981! I am considering the Cayman as a replacement for my 991 when the lease is up.

Enjoy.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:18 PM
fantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by empunker
Very nice 981! I am considering the Cayman as a replacement for my 991 when the lease is up.
Ditto....me too!

Old 05-12-2014, 12:20 PM
fantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura about
Just gotta keep the MANual tranny, while we still can!

Old 05-12-2014, 01:41 PM
eg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to behold
Congrats, and let us know how you like the new car. Especially interested in your views on the move from 7MT to PDK, after you've lived with the new car for awhile.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:06 PM
MikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of light
congrats on the cs, if you don't mind me asking. what was the msrp on your 991 and the terms/payments? im interested in getting a 991 and would like to compare/shop prices. thanks.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:00 PM
Aranthir will become famous soon enough
I came from a cayman S to my 991...didn't mind giving up the cayman S and would never go back. I leased the cayman...purchased the 991.

I don't drive hard enough to push any of the dynamic limits on either car but the 991 is a better daily driver hands down.

best of luck with your new ride.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trading my base 991 for 981 Cayman S