Am I Rich Enough for a 991?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 03:21 PM
Cheekymonkeyman is on a distinguished road
Lol scatkins... I'm just showing my age...

Old 05-22-2014, 05:53 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flash80
This is incorrect.

For a single person, earning $300k/year is in the top 1%. It's top 5% for married filers. Source: http://www.whatsmypercent.com/index.php.

According to http://www.shnugi.com/networth-perce...etworth=400000
$400k puts you in the 95th percentile.
I'd bet that the typical 30 year old these days has negative net worth.

For the OP--based on what you've posted, affording a 991 seems totally reasonable (especially if the loan is only $30k). Whether or not you want to is totally personal. I know people that make <$100k/year and drive $50k cars (parked in their rented apartments). Conversely, I know people worth millions that drive similar $50k cars.
Obama thinks anyone making over about $200K as a family is rich..

For me rich is anyone who makes $1 more than I do

Old 05-22-2014, 05:56 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Cheekymonkeyman
Lol scatkins... I'm just showing my age...
Ouch.

Ok Admission: Lol, I actually had to look it up.. It's just I remember hearing it before the 80's and knew it was one of those famous guy things

Old 05-22-2014, 06:39 PM
CarsNGuitars is on a distinguished road
I say get the turbo.... duh lol

Old 05-22-2014, 06:42 PM
CarsNGuitars is on a distinguished road
The only irresponsible thing I see happening here is that you are paying the bank a finance charge while you have cash in the bank that can't be earning too much interest.... pay that condo off, pay cash for a car and pay your insurance in full every year and you'll be ahead of everyone else

Old 05-22-2014, 06:53 PM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
you'd be better off asking WHICH 991 is best to buy!

You'll get lots of good and varied opinions!!

Old 05-22-2014, 07:06 PM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute
only you can answer this question. Some people will say they can "afford" something as long as they can get a loan for it, others will always pay full cash. And guess what, you'll find all sorts here on 6-spd.

IMO you can afford it. You're in your 30's and single, and you can enjoy this car in a "different" way than you will when you're 45 with a wife, 2 kids and a 4 bdrm house with a large mortgage. Financing is very cheap now, I would probably recommend you put down half cash and finance the rest on a lightly used 991 S or maybe even a Turbo (do NOT go below the S model). Worst case scenario, if your cash flow situation changes then you can easily exit the car, and buying used will minimize the financial hit.

Good Luck, and don't over think it, you'll have plenty of time to second guess when you're married with kids LOL!!

Art

Old 05-22-2014, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by CarsNGuitars
The only irresponsible thing I see happening here is that you are paying the bank a finance charge while you have cash in the bank that can't be earning too much interest.... pay that condo off, pay cash for a car and pay your insurance in full every year and you'll be ahead of everyone else
Don't be so sure about that logic without first discussing rates.

I intended to pay cash but was able to get 1.99 pct financing....

My investments pay significantly more than that (on average of course) and my interest rate on my home is much higher than that.

So, with cheap money available I'm not paying down any higher rate loan (i.e home mortgage) or selling off investments which return more than that.

That isn't to say you should use cheap financing to go purchase something you can't afford. But assuming you can, you don't pay off higher rate loans when lower rate loans are available.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:18 PM
///armin is a jewel in the rough///armin is a jewel in the rough///armin is a jewel in the rough
What a bizarre thread, from the question, to the answers...

Old 05-22-2014, 08:18 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
^ This! (edit: was referring to Scatkins post but ///armin and I posted at the same time)

Old 05-22-2014, 08:30 PM
op487062 will become famous soon enoughop487062 will become famous soon enough
Man, the internet cynicism in this thread is harsh.

Maybe the op is a troll, maybe he isn't. As the earlier CPA mentioned, I have clients who have six/seven figure incomes who are clueless how to manage their funds--most of them thought the biggest house was the best place to "invest". As jealous as I am at their luck in life (it couldn't be hard work, could it? ), many of them went for immediate gratification because they didn't see other options.

If op is given the benefit of the doubt, maybe he's trying to avoid the mistakes he's heard or seen of other young high income earners--he's seeking some wisdom from personal experiences rather than reading some publication/textbook.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:57 PM
Gofast430 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Aren't we about done with this ridiculous thread?

Old 05-22-2014, 11:18 PM
roger8615 is on a distinguished road
you can afford it.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by CarsNGuitars
I've got no problem financing 100% and paying 1.99% finance charge and keeping my investments which I got 30% return on my portfolio last year. and when I have a 4.5% mortgage.

I realize the investment part is variable and what was 30% last year can be -10% this year possibly, but in that case I adjust the strategy and pay off the highest interest loan..

I too grew also grew up listening to people like my father who said "never pay finance charges" just pay cash.. Unfortunately those rules of thumbs were based on overly simplistic assumptions like your money in the bank is returning lower rate than the finance charges.. It is a much more complex finance world now.. It is financially stupid to pay cash for something when the money you use to pay for it can earn you more. It may make you feel better about it, but when it is all said and done your net worth suffers.

The most prudent management strategy is not to avoid paying finance charges it is to always pay off your highest interest debt. But at the same time never use an investment has a higher rate of return to pay off a lower interest loan.

This presumes of course you were already going to make the purchase. The most prudent strategy is just to keep your last car longer and buy lower price items.. But once you decide to purchase, simply paying cash without understanding the implications is short sighted..

Rules of thumbs don't always give the entire picture and must be adapted to the individuals specific situation and investment mix.

Me.. I'm taking someone else's cheap 1.99% money for as long as I can get it..

Old 05-25-2014, 02:31 PM
cool flash is on a distinguished road
Here we have an OP that (claims to) make 25k/month fretting over a loan of 34k which would be payments of 650/month...

CF

Last edited by cool flash; 05-25-2014 at 02:35 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Am I Rich Enough for a 991?