OT: Porsche brand just goes down a notch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 01:43 PM
lnirenberg is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by frank69m
I think the point here is, it cheapens the brand if you have lower end vehicles like a Pajun or Macan. Do you see LV or Channel making bargain purses for $30 to compete with Target or Walmart purses? No, because it cheapens the prestige and name brand.

I've always regarded a Porsche as "higher" up than a BMW/Audi/Mercedes. Now, I think of them in the same league :-)

And, my comments previously on another thread, if they go down this route, they will have issues because if I am categorized in the same class as Mercedes/Audi/BMW, why would I pay 30k more for a Panamera Turbo vs. an M5 when they have similar performance (actually, I think the M5 is faster)....answer that Porsche...why would I pay more for the same thing in the same class? Nothing to distinguish the vehicle as different anymore if you ask me.
Pecking order of teutonic auto manufacturers aside, the smart car does not diminish the SLS black edition etc. They could build a little red wagon for my grandson and it in no way diminishes the 991. Welcome to the 21st century.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:30 PM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by llngoc
But you do know the purpose of this stretched Panemera, right? It is meant to be driven by a chauffeur as most stretched vehicle are used in China. BMW has a stretched 5-series and Audi has a stretched A6 only for the China market.

I don't think Cayenne and Macan were meant to be driven by a chauffeur. (BTW, my other Porsche is a Cayenne)

My gripe here is that a lot of the luxury brand makers, not only automakers, are diluting their brand with products which does not match their heritage just so to squeeze a few dollars out of a massive market.
Your saying porsche's image went down because they made a car that isn't following it's sports car image. Yet you bought a cayenne which is an SUV and further helps to dissolve porsche's sports car image?

Interesting........

Old 05-21-2014, 03:38 PM
Former Vendor
WLW@RSC will become famous soon enoughWLW@RSC will become famous soon enough
My opinion on these things is who cares what they make if it subsidizes things like 918s and GT3RS?

Old 05-21-2014, 04:46 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
I find it unlikely that the argument that Panny's, Cayannes and Macan's supplement anything..

Products in any company are typically developed on their own business case of profitably.. Not as a way of "financing" another product line.. Sure they siphon off a % of profits that they put into R&D but they aren't undertaken as a way of financing 911's.. The 4Doors and SUV's are about profitably not cross financing 911 R&D..

It is not about funding 918's etc either. The more exotic Porsches and racing models are really developed as "advertising" to further then Brand image.. it's part of a marketing budget no different than another company having a golf tournament.

That said, I tend to want to think of Porsche as a racing sports car company.. But that's my personal preference just because I hate thinking of a Porsche being a family car. (Just my personal bias).. Thus my disdain of non-sports car models. But then again, I don't share in profits of porsche and if I did I probably would feel different..

But my point is really that when I hear that the revenue from SUV's somehow make my 991 less expensive.. it gives me a major chuckle, because that isn't how it works..

The real ability that I am amazed at with Porsche is their ability to manage so many 911 variants. Bases, S's, Turbos, GT3s, Cab and 4WD versions of each.. I find it an engineering marvel that they can manage and develop so many variants.. Something I wish my own company could do better for our own products (not in Automotive but Aviation).

Last edited by scatkins; 05-21-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:52 PM
Capsfan is on a distinguished road
Who cares? It doesn't change the sports cars they do a great job with.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:41 PM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
Its a complex issue this.

I too worry about the Porsche brand for the same reasons several have mentioned.

But I also understand the business side of it....demand>supply>company growth>increased profits.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:04 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
Why worry? I could care less as long as Porsche continues to build vehicles that live up to the quality of the brand. For those that want only niche vehicles, there's always Ferrari, McLaren, and Lamborghini.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:22 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
As long as Porsche keeps racing, keeps winning races, keeps producing sportscars/driverscars that have heritage and racing pedigree, that I can be proud of to own and drive ... Then I can live with the fact that they expand their lineup to other cars to be more profitable to keep doing the former, and as long as they are class leaders !

Old 05-22-2014, 05:18 AM
Wegentop is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Do not whine and vote with your wallet.
Totally Agreed !

Btw, I'm sure there are peoples in china known about porsche's brand, soul, history...etc. not just a "luxury" car.....

Old 05-22-2014, 07:09 AM
llngoc is on a distinguished road
The Cayenne was for my wife as a bait to ease her into a Porsche. How do you think I ended up with a TT-S with her full approval. :-)

Originally Posted by speedsterr
Your saying porsche's image went down because they made a car that isn't following it's sports car image. Yet you bought a cayenne which is an SUV and further helps to dissolve porsche's sports car image? Interesting........

Old 05-22-2014, 05:39 PM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Leslierc
Why worry? I could care less as long as Porsche continues to build vehicles that live up to the quality of the brand. For those that want only niche vehicles, there's always Ferrari, McLaren, and Lamborghini.
Now that VW is in full control of Porsche I just hope the 911 will not continue to get bigger, heavier and more GT-like with each evolution....and that the smaller, lighter iconic 911 lives on. As long as that happens, I dont care how many SUV's they build.....just dont lose the heritage.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:55 PM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
yeah, porsche is selling out a little, but they still make great cars!

It is better than them selling out and making crap!