OT: Porsche brand just goes down a notch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 07:53 AM
llngoc is on a distinguished road
OT: Porsche brand just goes down a notch

Disclaimer: I have been a big Porsche fan since I was a teenager and currently have 2 Porsches in my garage. But...

I just saw the announcement of the limo version Panemera (I know it was coming) and was shocked and disgusted at Porsche's single minded goal to get into the China market with any product possible. So what is next? If a seven seat mini-van becomes popular in China, I guess we will see one soon too?

In fact, most buyers in China do not even know that Porsche is a sports car maker but only as a *luxury* car maker.

This is indeed a sad day.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:00 AM
colonel is on a distinguished road
What's the big deal? What about cayenne and macan?

Porsche is an auto maker not just a sports car maker.

Last edited by colonel; 05-21-2014 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:09 AM
But you do know the purpose of this stretched Panemera, right? It is meant to be driven by a chauffeur as most stretched vehicle are used in China. BMW has a stretched 5-series and Audi has a stretched A6 only for the China market.

I don't think Cayenne and Macan were meant to be driven by a chauffeur. (BTW, my other Porsche is a Cayenne)

My gripe here is that a lot of the luxury brand makers, not only automakers, are diluting their brand with products which does not match their heritage just so to squeeze a few dollars out of a massive market.

Originally Posted by colonel
What about cayenne and macan?

Porsche is an auto maker not just a sports car maker.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:15 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
I sense a little bit of China bashing in this post...
Also, a marque does not belong or obey to who likes previous cars the most but to customers who buy new cars.
If people do not like Porsche anymore (not Porsche in general or a limo Panny, but the sportscar you would buy), do not buy one. If you are buying one for the badge, do not buy one.
These comments are not necessarily aimed at the OP, but I am tired to see so many threads about 'Porsche is not good value for money', 'Porsche is losing its soul', 'Porsche is hurting the brand'. We are in a free market. Do not whine and vote with your wallet.
My 991 is still the best car I have driven so far and I could personally not care less if Porsche made a minivan. In fact, I have 4 kids and would be happy if Porsche made a car big enough to accommodate the entire family. The Cayenne is the best SUV I have driven, sure their minivan would be the best one too

Old 05-21-2014, 08:40 AM
lnirenberg is on a distinguished road
It is rather simple really. In order for Porsche to produce the driver's cars we love and invest in the R&D for high performance variants and refinements they need to sell a significant % of their car as high end luxury vehicles. From a Porsche purists viewpoint, how is a stretch PanAmerica any more obscene than $300+ for a key painted car color?

Old 05-21-2014, 08:42 AM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
What about the upcoming Pajun (4 door compact to compete with 3 series) or the 4-bangers that are coming up?

We can thank VW for all this fine work.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:06 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Actually VW is not that bad. The Q5 provided a good starting point for the Macan that is different (and better) than its Audi sibling. Also, I am currently driving a Cayman loaner built at the VW Osnabrück plant and the quality is just as good as a car from Stuttgart.
Despite what many people say, I hold VW in high regard: they have been very good at segmenting and managing their other brands. They are not running a charity business and an owner wants his business to generate profit.

Last edited by SM_ATL; 05-21-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:23 AM
If you have 2 young kids between 4-10, you may want to take a look at the Tesla. The P85 drives like a sports car and can accommodate 5+2 with the 7 seat option. And the torque is almost Turbo-like which I think I am qualify to comment on. :-)

I was skeptical before a test drive and now is expecting one in August. A much better alternative to a Panermera IMO.

See I do vote with my dollar and that's why we are in a free country. :-)

Originally Posted by SM_ATL
I sense a little bit of China bashing in this post... Also, a marque does not belong or obey to who likes previous cars the most but to customers who buy new cars. If people do not like Porsche anymore (not Porsche in general or a limo Panny, but the sportscar you would buy), do not buy one. If you are buying one for the badge, do not buy one. These comments are not necessarily aimed at the OP, but I am tired to see so many threads about 'Porsche is not good value for money', 'Porsche is losing its soul', 'Porsche is hurting the brand'. We are in a free market. Do not whine and vote with your wallet. My 991 is still the best car I have driven so far and I could personally not care less if Porsche made a minivan. In fact, I have 4 kids and would be happy if Porsche made a car big enough to accommodate the entire family. The Cayenne is the best SUV I have driven, sure their minivan would be the best one too

Old 05-21-2014, 10:23 AM
John's 991 is on a distinguished road
Porsche is obligated to maximize their profit, and needs to fund their racing efforts. If they have to sell cars you are not interested in to be able to produce the cars we love, then so be it. It would be unlikely that they could build the 991, let alone the 918 and LMP cars based purely on selling the Caymen, Boxster and 911

Old 05-21-2014, 11:17 AM
colonel is on a distinguished road
Many top of the lines cars are driven by chauffeurs too.
ie rolls Bentley, BMW 750il, MB S class, Audi A8. For porsche, I don't see anything wrong with LWB Pany

Old 05-21-2014, 11:25 AM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
I agree. The brand is headed in the wrong direction. Now a Macan next the mini van...

Old 05-21-2014, 12:24 PM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
I think the point here is, it cheapens the brand if you have lower end vehicles like a Pajun or Macan. Do you see LV or Channel making bargain purses for $30 to compete with Target or Walmart purses? No, because it cheapens the prestige and name brand.

I've always regarded a Porsche as "higher" up than a BMW/Audi/Mercedes. Now, I think of them in the same league :-)

And, my comments previously on another thread, if they go down this route, they will have issues because if I am categorized in the same class as Mercedes/Audi/BMW, why would I pay 30k more for a Panamera Turbo vs. an M5 when they have similar performance (actually, I think the M5 is faster)....answer that Porsche...why would I pay more for the same thing in the same class? Nothing to distinguish the vehicle as different anymore if you ask me.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by frank69m
Nothing to distinguish the vehicle as different anymore if you ask me.
The way it drives. I like the Panamera a lot more than an M5.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:36 PM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
I sense a little bit of China bashing in this post...
Also, a marque does not belong or obey to who likes previous cars the most but to customers who buy new cars.
If people do not like Porsche anymore (not Porsche in general or a limo Panny, but the sportscar you would buy), do not buy one. If you are buying one for the badge, do not buy one.
These comments are not necessarily aimed at the OP, but I am tired to see so many threads about 'Porsche is not good value for money', 'Porsche is losing its soul', 'Porsche is hurting the brand'. We are in a free market. Do not whine and vote with your wallet.
My 991 is still the best car I have driven so far and I could personally not care less if Porsche made a minivan. In fact, I have 4 kids and would be happy if Porsche made a car big enough to accommodate the entire family. The Cayenne is the best SUV I have driven, sure their minivan would be the best one too
Well said. I agree 100%!

Old 05-21-2014, 01:40 PM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by frank69m
I think the point here is, it cheapens the brand if you have lower end vehicles like a Pajun or Macan. Do you see LV or Channel making bargain purses for $30 to compete with Target or Walmart purses? No, because it cheapens the prestige and name brand.
Perhaps you can purchase a $30 "Channel" bag, but certainly not so a "Chanel".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OT: Porsche brand just goes down a notch