Porsches are a bit of a rip-off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 10:18 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by speedsterr
The only issue is you have to look at what your competition offers. And at the price range of porsche the competition offers a lot more. Now they may not be as well engineered in the driving experience i.e (chasis, engine sound, PDK) etc.... but are these worth a 50k+ premium? Not at all. The reason the market pays for it is because some people just gotta have a porsche no matter what the cost.

If porsche wasn't making so much money on the panamera and cayenne I'm sure they would give us more bang for buck but they don't have to. They are making plenty of profit on those vehicles that if a couple hundred leave the 911 to other competition they couldn't care less.

And you say go buy a mass market vehicle like a kia or toyota. Do you think porsche isn't mass marketed too? It sure indeed is.
I think you have to be careful when comparing a 130K C2S to a 70K car (i.e. 50K+ differential) and calling it the same price range.

To make the comparison in value find something comparably priced then talk about the differences in value. In reality your 70K comparison car is most likely better in comparable to a base 911 or maybe a Cayman and not a 911S.. For example comparing the value you get of a cayman to a Vette is a reasonable since they are in the same general price range.

As far as mass market vehicles.. Of course the 911's are mass market cars.. but that misses the point.. I think we all understand the difference between the high consumer volumes of a $20k Kia or Toyota and the 911 line... The point is the high volumes and fierce competition with other cars has a different dynamic that a niche sports car..

Old 05-29-2014, 12:18 AM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by lunarx
What I dont get is how the PCM can be so bad. They have all these other cars to suposedly fund development and we still get a crap PCM.
Panamera/Cayenne/Macan owners are buying a daily driver car, so they must feel cheated by this bad technology even more so.

Has anyone tried Voice Command on PCM?
It makes you spell out streets and cities and it still gets it wrong.
Mercedes voice command works perfect just saying the words.
I need to take this ^ back
Voice Command works great
I had the Language set to English UK, because I thought the english girl sounded hotter (than the american girl).
That is why it made me spell out all adress information.
So setting language, to your own country, is the key to good voice control.
Amazing what is discovered by reading the manual

I still think the PCM needs improvement to match the price category of a Porsche.

Last edited by lunarx; 06-11-2014 at 12:21 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:16 AM
nash667 has a spectacular aura aboutnash667 has a spectacular aura about
Great Topic...

Heres my 2 cents

We have to remember that the 911 can be used as a daily driver and is excellent at it. We can drive it day in and day out and still take it to the track and compete with cars designed specifically for the track, however....

This car was designed to be a sports car bordering on super car territory. All the additional options aren't standard because they aren't supposed to be part of the car. They are offered to make customers happy (and for profit of course).

Just because its so good at seeming like a GT doesn't mean we forget that when we walked into that showroom we bought a sports car, not a panamera.

So far i haven't come across a more practical high end sports car that could compete with what the 911 offers.

Consider what the lotus customers are saying on their forum.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:39 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nash667
So far i haven't come across a more practical high end sports car that could compete with what the 911 offers.

Lotus has a COMPLETELY different philosophy than just about every other sports car constructor, which is relatively minimalist (though not as extreme as KTM or Ariel, etc...). The 911, historically, has been quite the sports car. Of course, this has changed over the past few years. Some here have complained about the 'watering down' of the brand, others have complained the 911 has becoming bulky, too Grand-Touring-ish. If we look back at the 993, how would we have justified the cost of those 911's? They were fun - that's it. That is when I really began enjoying the 911 (and Porsche in general). To me, the 996 was a COMPLETELY different car, and the bar was changed. It ushered a new philosophy that (as noted above) catered to the market that fostered profits.

There are choices all across this segment. I've jumped on board with the OP's perspective, as this segment offers (what I think) items that should be standard - almost designated safety features (bluetooth, GPS, etc...). If people could keep their hands on the wheel, and didn't try to cut across 5 lanes to get to their left turn from the right lane, the streets might be a tad safer. I realize that this does not change people, but rather enables behaviors and traits that are already learned/practiced. Those are just a few things...

There is almost no cost involved to add some of the features that Porsche offers - material of seats? Why is it extra to change the material? Is it because somewhere in the factory that originally assembles these, there is a person that will put on the wrong one, take it off, and then replace it with another? Colors of the seat belt? When I order carpet from a store, they don't charge more for a different color, it is still the same material, and requires the identical process of installation.

I am waiting until certain things become standard, until I'm back in a 911 (personally). I think that when the Ford Focus, Mustang GT, Shelby GT500, etc... offered that 'Sync' system, it really changed my attitude towards what should come standard. I mean, if Ford can do this for relative pennies, then why should everyone else pay a lot more?

Last edited by jaspergtr; 05-29-2014 at 03:55 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:51 AM
genpop3 is just really nicegenpop3 is just really nicegenpop3 is just really nicegenpop3 is just really nicegenpop3 is just really nice
Originally Posted by nash667
Great Topic...

Heres my 2 cents

We have to remember that the 911 can be used as a daily driver and is excellent at it. We can drive it day in and day out and still take it to the track and compete with cars designed specifically for the track, however....

This car was designed to be a sports car bordering on super car territory. All the additional options aren't standard because they aren't supposed to be part of the car. They are offered to make customers happy (and for profit of course).

Just because its so good at seeming like a GT doesn't mean we forget that when we walked into that showroom we bought a sports car, not a panamera.

Maybe the 2012 McLaren 12c? I think there is everyday potential there. Minimal maintenance. Frunk is deeper than 991. 30mpg on normal.

Hopefully it'll depreciate quite a bit more by 2015 . Prices are around 170-180k right now.

Then put the Revozport front bumper on there and call it a day.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:21 AM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Suzy991
Completely agree, but the Audi is also a rip-off if you look at it that way. I have an Audi A6 Avant that costs CHF121k ($135k) over here. 40% of the price is for option. My previous Audi (an SQ5) was the same price than this A6. Most of those options you get as standard on a $60k Kia SUV for example. You pay for the premium brand.

However... The 911 in particular is just too expensive for what you get IMO. And then I'm not even talking about the huge price differences between US market and European market. A 911 Turbo S is $40k MORE expensive than a Ferrari 458 here in Switzerland. Why? No one knows, but probably just because they can....

Like you say... As long as enthusiasts keep paying these prices they are gonna ask it and even raise prices for options. The same applies to brands like Ferrari or Aston Martin or Lamborghini.

Sent from my iPad using 6SpeedOnline
40K More for a Porsche? wow! i am amazed at this one. Here in the usa if you can get a 458 for less than 300k you are lucky. While the Porsche turbo s tops out at 200k.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:24 AM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LIL RAJA
40K More for a Porsche? wow! i am amazed at this one. Here in the usa if you can get a 458 for less than 300k you are lucky. While the Porsche turbo s tops out at 200k.
Yes I know... Here, Ferrari is cheaper than surrounding countries, while porsche is more expensive than surrounding countries. Strange pricing strategy from Porsche. Even a McLaren 650S is only $5k or so more expensive than a 991 TTS...

Old 05-29-2014, 08:15 AM
FLAT6KING will become famous soon enoughFLAT6KING will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by AoshichanX
Maybe the 2012 McLaren 12c? I think there is everyday potential there. Minimal maintenance. Frunk is deeper than 991. 30mpg on normal. Hopefully it'll depreciate quite a bit more by 2015 . Prices are around 170-180k right now. Then put the Revozport front bumper on there and call it a day.
+1 on that one! I was looking at those (spider) too.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:18 AM
FLAT6KING will become famous soon enoughFLAT6KING will become famous soon enough
Yes I know... Here, Ferrari is cheaper than surrounding countries, while porsche is more expensive than surrounding countries. Strange pricing strategy from Porsche. Even a McLaren 650S is only $5k or so more expensive than a 991 TTS... Sent from my iPad using 6SpeedOnline
Is there a reason for the price disparity? Tariffs on German products etc? Good to hear from you, what is summer like in Switzerland?

Old 05-29-2014, 08:20 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Yes I know... Here, Ferrari is cheaper than surrounding countries, while porsche is more expensive than surrounding countries. Strange pricing strategy from Porsche. Even a McLaren 650S is only $5k or so more expensive than a 991 TTS...

I guess it all depends on the market...

But an additional $5k for a 650S? Kind of makes it easy on some...

Old 05-29-2014, 09:09 AM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FLAT6KING
Is there a reason for the price disparity? Tariffs on German products etc? Good to hear from you, what is summer like in Switzerland?
Still waiting for the real summer here

Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I guess it all depends on the market... But an additional $5k for a 650S? Kind of makes it easy on some...
I think it is just arrogance from Porsche. Or they just forgot to adjust their prices to the exchange rates between Euro and Swiss Francs. I don't know. Regarding the McLaren.... I wouldn't want one, even if it was 100k cheaper. Not really my cup of tea.

Last edited by Suzy991; 05-29-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:12 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
OK, here's the invoice for Steve McQueen's 1970 911. Check the base price and prorate the cost of options to today's price of a base 911. Options listed on the invoice would often be offered as standard or much lower price on US cars of that time (air conditioning was a $380 option on a Mustang... and a base Mustang only cost $1,000 more than the air conditioning option on the 911!!)

Nothing has changed. So can we please stop whining and move on...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	14298600825_3b876d9941_z.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	380028  
Old 05-29-2014, 09:14 AM
Banned
CALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Michael_s
This is not new news. I bought my P car with eyes wide open. If I wanted mid level performance with more bells and whistles I would have bought a BMW or similar.
You own a 2007 Porsche! Unless you bought it new it was a used car and depending on when you bought it most of the depreciation had already occurred. Smart move. That's the way to buy high priced cars.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:32 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by frank69m
BTW. BMW and Audi drivers are the most A-hole drivers out there. But that is just my opinion.
I think you should include Lexus drivers, especially the ones in the little SUV. Totally isolated in their little cocoons, they have no idea what's going on around them. Not necessarily a-holes, but just oblivious to things like traffic, those painted lines on the ground, different colored lights, etc.

As for the OP... well, he's just being cranky.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:50 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
OK, here's the invoice for Steve McQueen's 1970 911. Check the base price and prorate the cost of options to today's price of a base 911. Options listed on the invoice would often be offered as standard or much lower price on US cars of that time (air conditioning was a $380 option on a Mustang... and a base Mustang only cost $1,000 more than the air conditioning option on the 911!!)

Nothing has changed. So can we please stop whining and move on...
\\

Super cool... The Blaupunkt was $525. I'm guessing everyone back then hated it just like they complain about BOSE.. lol.

For some reason It is a lot more expensive that I thought it would be. $32K in 1970.. Wow..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsches are a bit of a rip-off