Porsches are a bit of a rip-off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 09:57 AM
FLAT6KING will become famous soon enoughFLAT6KING will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
OK, here's the invoice for Steve McQueen's 1970 911. Check the base price and prorate the cost of options to today's price of a base 911. Options listed on the invoice would often be offered as standard or much lower price on US cars of that time (air conditioning was a $380 option on a Mustang... and a base Mustang only cost $1,000 more than the air conditioning option on the 911!!) Nothing has changed. So can we please stop whining and move on...
That was cool Serge but it would be a lot cooler if it was in English. Do you mind itemizing the costs in English? $30k for a sixties era car does seem pricey.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:02 AM
runner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to behold
Had to be $30k DM, not USD. I believe the car sold new for approx. 9k US.

Held it's value fairly well I would think.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-1-375-million

Old 05-29-2014, 10:24 AM
Cheekymonkeyman is on a distinguished road
Makes sense... Deutschmark to USD exchange rate ~ 3.7 in 1970 according to the interweboogle

Old 05-29-2014, 10:32 AM
omegaSMP300 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by runner1021

Well played. Wow.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:50 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Ouch, big miss on my side !!! Yes you are right, the invoice says "DM".
This makes my previous comparison to the Mustang less relevant (well, the 911 price was still a multiple of the Mustang). Interestingly too, the USD was more than twice as strong against the DM (or its current fixed equivalent in EUR) than today. I guess it made German goods and cars more affordable at that time. I can not tell, I was still overseas wearing diapers at that time

This being said, it does not change the fact that options already added a lot of $$ to the bill, just like today.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:24 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by runner1021

Oh yes, I see yes you can see it is DM... that makes a lot more sense..

Old 05-29-2014, 11:28 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by CALGUY
You own a 2007 Porsche! Unless you bought it new it was a used car and depending on when you bought it most of the depreciation had already occurred. Smart move. That's the way to buy high priced cars.
2013 991 C4S. Leased new....... should have waited...... but I didn't. No regrets.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:32 AM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by speedsterr
The only issue is you have to look at what your competition offers. And at the price range of porsche the competition offers a lot more. Now they may not be as well engineered in the driving experience i.e (chasis, engine sound, PDK) etc.... but are these worth a 50k+ premium? Not at all. The reason the market pays for it is because some people just gotta have a porsche no matter what the cost.

If porsche wasn't making so much money on the panamera and cayenne I'm sure they would give us more bang for buck but they don't have to. They are making plenty of profit on those vehicles that if a couple hundred leave the 911 to other competition they couldn't care less.

And you say go buy a mass market vehicle like a kia or toyota. Do you think porsche isn't mass marketed too? It sure indeed is.
If you look at how many Porsches are actually produced (from Porsche 2013 annual report, 155,000 total vehicles produced) vs Toyota (from Toyota for 2012 1,945,700 vehicles produced in Japan only) it is REALLY NOT MASS PRODUCED. The beauty of being a buyer is that you can vote with your $'s. Don't want to pay, move on. I agree that some of the add ons may be a bit extreme but it doesn't mean you cant drive the car and enjoy it without Burmeister, full leather, deviating stitching, 18way power seats, etc.... It really is all about choice and what you want to own and drive. It is still exclusive and I realize that every time I'm in a normal situation and people are still in awe by our cars. Its all about choices.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:34 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Ouch, big miss on my side !!! Yes you are right, the invoice says "DM".
This makes my previous comparison to the Mustang less relevant (well, the 911 price was still a multiple of the Mustang). Interestingly too, the USD was more than twice as strong against the DM (or its current fixed equivalent in EUR) than today. I guess it made German goods and cars more affordable at that time. I can not tell, I was still overseas wearing diapers at that time

This being said, it does not change the fact that options already added a lot of $$ to the bill, just like today.
Actually, it plays into the OPs intent a bit more...

My wife did an exhausting amount of comparison research between the new Stingray, and the 911.

I mean - down to the origin of the first Stingray (C2), which was just about the same year the 911 was sold in the 'States. Back then, the 911 was 50% more than the 'Vette (~$6k vs ~$4k). This gap remained consistent up until the 90's. Now the base 911 is almost 80% (roughly $40k) more than the Stingray, and the options alone may actually add an additional 80+%.

I don't care about the cost comparison of the MSRP as much, but the amount of the options floored me. There is no logical way those particular items should cost as much as they do. But then I'd suggest to those who get them aren't worried about logic, as much as they are the experience those options provide.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:42 AM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jersey Shore
If you look at how many Porsches are actually produced (from Porsche 2013 annual report, 155,000 total vehicles produced) vs Toyota (from Toyota for 2012 1,945,700 vehicles produced in Japan only) it is REALLY NOT MASS PRODUCED. The beauty of being a buyer is that you can vote with your $'s. Don't want to pay, move on. I agree that some of the add ons may be a bit extreme but it doesn't mean you cant drive the car and enjoy it without Burmeister, full leather, deviating stitching, 18way power seats, etc.... It really is all about choice and what you want to own and drive. It is still exclusive and I realize that every time I'm in a normal situation and people are still in awe by our cars. Its all about choices.
A Porsche is a mass produced car. Always was and always will be. Period. A 911 is nothing exotic, exclusive or special. It's just a very good sportscar.

Sent from my iPad using 6SpeedOnline

Old 05-29-2014, 12:09 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Suzy991
A Porsche is a mass produced car. Always was and always will be. Period. A 911 is nothing exotic, exclusive or special. It's just a very good sportscar.

Agree 911 is definitely mass produced...

However it is the scale of that mass production. If you are producing 2 million of something vs 100,000... streamlining the production process is much more important.. With a lower production product you have the ability to provide more flexibility with options.

But as production volume goes up, there is a strong benefit in limiting options which is the real reason that the high volume Toyotas and Hondas have very few options within an individual version (i.e the LE, SE's etc).

I actually disagree with the argument about all of the options being a negative thing.. I really like having a lower base and then adding a wide variety of options on a 911.. It is one of the reasons that ordering one is so popular. Ever try to order a Toyota Camry or even a Lexus? No one does.

I think it is really a benefit the way Porsche does it.. Some people want a racing version and don't care about creature comforts and others don't care about racing.. and just want creature comforts.. Some want both. I've rarely seen two people on this forum that agree as to what is an ideal configuration. And we enjoy all the variation that is possible.

The problem is I think people just psychologically can't accept the incremental prices and think in their head that the base MSRP is really the cost when comparing since that is how the high volume Japanese and Korean boxes do it..

If everyone would just accept that a C2S (just for example) really costs about $125 to $130K for a nice configuration and not the 98K base fantasy they wouldn't get so wigged out about it and feeling that they are "ripped off". It's a perception problem about the cost of the car.. and not understanding the true price category..

Old 05-29-2014, 12:17 PM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Certainly agree scatkins. It is good to have the option to choose how you want your car equipped. That is the beauty of the 911. There is a configuration for (almost) everyone.

However... Things like bluetooth would be nice if they were standard, at least when you opt for PCM (which most people do and no it's not standard in European markets. It's a $4900 option excluding bluetooth).
It's called Porsche Communication Management, yet there's nothing to communicate, because you have to pay extra for the communication part (bluetooth). Even floormats aren't standard in our market! Have to pay $275 to get a set of those!

Last edited by Suzy991; 05-29-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:36 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
A 911 is nothing exotic, exclusive or special. It's just a very good sportscar.
...well, this probably applies to members of this forum. On the other hand, not even 0.02% of the world population can afford a P-Car.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:42 PM
...well, this probably applies to members of this forum. On the other hand, not even 0.02% of the world population can afford a P-Car.
Majority of the other 99,98% can't afford any new car.... Don't see the point. Sorry.
It doesn't make the 911 an exotic....

Last edited by Suzy991; 05-29-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:30 PM
Majority of the other 99,98% can't afford any new car.... Don't see the point. Sorry.
It doesn't make the 911 an exotic....

Maybe I misunderstood you, but I was not trying to make the point that the 911 is an exotic or super car. Just that saying "it is nothing special" could sound a bit obnoxious to many.
Anyway, back on topic... not that I think this thread is going anywhere

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsches are a bit of a rip-off