BMW M4 first drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 08:37 AM
tx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of light
I have a 991S and a E92M3 and don't compare the 2 because they are very different. The M4 looks too big, cluttered and the exhaust sounds like dog. As for how well it may or may not go around a track, get a dedicated track car. While some cars are fast around a track for a couple of laps, they are too heavy and are dangerous since they don't have proper safety equipment such as a roll cage and fire extinguisher system.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:53 AM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tx11
I have a 991S and a E92M3 and don't compare the 2 because they are very different. The M4 looks too big, cluttered and the exhaust sounds like dog. As for how well it may or may not go around a track, get a dedicated track car. While some cars are fast around a track for a couple of laps, they are too heavy and are dangerous since they don't have proper safety equipment such as a roll cage and fire extinguisher system.
No the exhaust sounds like an electric leaf blower not even a dog .

Old 07-25-2014, 09:09 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by speedsterr
No the exhaust sounds like an electric leaf blower not even a dog .
Sort of like a 911 Turbo?

Old 07-25-2014, 09:26 AM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by grunty
good luck nick! Hopefully you have learned your lesson about carrying kayaks around on sports cars.
lol!

Old 07-25-2014, 01:54 PM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by GS997S
Sort of like a 911 Turbo?
You think so? I don't mind the sound of the turbo. I like the GT3 sound the best.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:54 PM
Dilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to all
Great review as always Nick, looking forward to the next couple. I am not sure I am a fan of piped in noise, but let's see what you think of it after you get some miles on it.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Dilligaf
Great review as always Nick, looking forward to the next couple. I am not sure I am a fan of piped in noise, but let's see what you think of it after you get some miles on it.
You guys keep saying piped noise I think you are misunderstanding what piped means. The only car I know of that has piped noise is the LFA. Where literally it has holes with routes in the inside of the car that leads to the engine so you can hear the engine noise more. What BMW does is play fake noises through the speakers of the car from what I understand.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:12 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Nice review Nick. Good luck with the new car.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:16 PM
sportscentury is a jewel in the roughsportscentury is a jewel in the roughsportscentury is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by speedsterr
You guys keep saying piped noise I think you are misunderstanding what piped means. The only car I know of that has piped noise is the LFA. Where literally it has holes with routes in the inside of the car that leads to the engine so you can hear the engine noise more. What BMW does is play fake noises through the speakers of the car from what I understand.

I have heard both of these descriptions from different people at BMW. Does anyone have a definitive explanation of the exhaust noise/sound in the M3/M4 cabin? I'd love to get some finality/clarification to this issue. Obviously, neither is great. But fake would simply be too much to take.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:28 PM
Dilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to all
Found this link that talks about the motor noise you here in the cabin, but this post should not be hijacked, Nick did a good piece.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/05/29/bm...noise-98-real/

Old 07-27-2014, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by Dilligaf
Found this link that talks about the motor noise you here in the cabin, but this post should not be hijacked, Nick did a good piece.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/05/29/bm...noise-98-real/
Hmmm so then it used to be fake, now its only 2-3% fake.

Progress.......I really like those carbon fiber tips though.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:23 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Off topic.. well mostly.. But things didn't go so well for this M4 owner:

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/bmw-m4-...133037407.html

Old 07-28-2014, 04:47 PM
Chiboy is on a distinguished road
Good luck with the M4 Nick! I admit I only watched a few minutes of the video as I found the head mounted camera was making me a bit queasy as you would turn your head. I'm sure it got better, but I didn't make it that far.

I had an E46 M3 before my 911 and really enjoyed it. It isn't as powerful as the new ones, but it handled really well and had more than enough power for me. I will say that I have barely thought about it since selling it and getting a 991 Cab, but it was very reliable and was fun to drive. It's really not fair to compare a 911 convertible to an M3/4 coupe in terms of fun as they are quite different.

I personally wish BMW would do something to make their cars look more interesting, as they all look so similar to me from model to model and year to year. I guess you can say the same for the Porsche lineup.

I hope you enjoy the car, and also hope you don't have someone hardwire a radar detector into it, just in case that messes with the electronics. Good luck!

Old 07-28-2014, 05:57 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by scatkins
Off topic.. well mostly.. But things didn't go so well for this M4 owner:

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/bmw-m4-...133037407.html
Article says the M4 is speed limited to 156. All BMWs are speed limited, but my Z4M Coupe was limited to 167.

Also, pic of the M4 shows a small plate, something typical of American plated cars over there (military assigned in Europe), or middle eastern countries. Nothing in Europe has a small plate. I found that odd since supposedly the crash is in France. Definitely not a French tag.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:21 PM
SxxB will become famous soon enoughSxxB will become famous soon enough
Please comment on turbo lag. Do u really feel it vs e92 or 991s?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BMW M4 first drive