New 911 Carrera vs Used 911? What is the best choice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 04:47 AM
Grunty will become famous soon enough
The non turbo car makes a glorious noise.
The newer car 991 has a nicer interior and is prettier.
Turbo or non turbo, they are both scary fast.
I'd go for newer, prettier model, hopefully a bit better optioned for the same money.

Why are we even talking about base Carrera? Get a used c2s 2012 or 2013 (991).

Last edited by Grunty; 07-31-2014 at 04:50 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:56 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
^ great deal.

Big difference from the 997 to the 991 chassis. 991 has moved a bit further down the GT road while the 997 a little more raw. More noise, more road feel (hydraulic steering), etc. You really need to drive both.

I had a 997 Turbo and now have a 991 C4S. Both really great cars. For me the 991 is better as I live in the NY/NJ area and 991 allows me to DD my P car even in traffic. Dont get me wrong I often dream about getting back into a TT. The boost...... heaven. Made my ears pop!!

Old 07-31-2014, 05:44 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
The C2 is underpowered. You have to drive it full throttle all the time.
Underpowered ? 350 hp ? 7:44 at the Ring ?
The C2 doesn't need more power, it needs better drivers (myself included).

Old 07-31-2014, 07:33 AM
Hurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond repute
I wrestled with the same thoughts. I considered an 07 or 08 997 Turbo, a new Carrera, or a slightly used (low mileage) Carrera S. Then I started upping my budget and began aiming for a new well-optioned Carrera S.

I had never bought used before so the thought of a seven year old 997 Turbo out of warranty kind of scared me a little. I really wanted the C2S over the C2 so I started looking at new cars. In the end, I found a used 991 C2S that was pretty well-optioned (all the options I was looking for, plus more!) with only 7,200 miles on it and two years left on the factory warranty. After an inspection by a local Porsche dealer - no issues at all - I couldn't be happier with it.

It is truly a joy to drive. The 997 Turbo would have been a blast but I do very much enjoy the more updated interior, the technology, and even the exterior styling of the 991. No regrets.

Last edited by Hurricane; 07-31-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:41 PM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
Find a Porsche salesperson that knows his stuff ( they are few and far between ). Have him show you the differences between the generations ( and turbos vs non ) and then drive both generations.

They are VERY different cars. Very different. Until you look at them in person, touch them, have them explained to you and then drive them, you are wasting your time on a Forum.

It will become very clear immediately which generation is better for you. That's how different they are.

Good luck with your research....do it thoroughly, it's a great deal of $$$ to spend.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:32 AM
willyspub is just really nicewillyspub is just really nicewillyspub is just really nicewillyspub is just really nice
Originally Posted by STG958
Doing some research on your own would go a long way. Sometimes you need to do some homework!

Good luck.
You really needed to chime in three separate times just to not help him? There's no need to respond if you don't have anything constructive, just move on to the next thread.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:51 AM
Targa2015 will become famous soon enough
Comparing Turbos to base models runs the entire gamut and it's like looking and seriously considering every item on the restaurant menu. Most times we know what we are in the mood for:

1) budget is important but let's face it would you stretch 10% to get exactly what you want or are you at the top of the budget already.

2) is it a DD or a track car. Comfort or speed what's your priorities. All models are fast.

3) buy the newest model you can afford before all else, that just my opinion. An older turbo is faster than a base 991 but so what unless that is your only criteria. Faster cars than that too.

4) get a certified car with warranty

5) I suspect for most DD a S model 991 with pdk and sport exhaust would make 90% happy. You can add better wheels, sound and even leather and carbon bits down the road once you get a car.

Happy Hunting!!

Old 08-05-2014, 07:42 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Diesel47
Yeah I would eventually have to drive em, are there any real differences between the 991 and the 997 that could be deal breakers? Or are they pretty much the same thing in the things that matter?

Thanks.
Seriously, you really need to drive these cars. You can research all day and ask questions, but it comes down to what it is that you want. Especially if you've never driven a Porsche before. Heck, you may decide that a Boxster or a Cayman is more your style.

Anything you pick, 997, 991, turbo, non-turbo, Cayman, whatever, is going to be an exceptional car that will give you great enjoyment.

That said, it would really be much smarter financially to buy something used. You may buy model XX and after a few months or a year, you may decide "I should have gone with model YY." Get into it used, and you won't get hurt so bad trading out of it. Buy new, and you'll get hammered. My current car is my fifth 911 and the first one that I bought new. And I ordered it, so that I got exactly what I wanted (why would you pay $100K and settle?).

Old 08-05-2014, 08:41 AM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
As a general rule, buy the latest model 911 you can afford. Constant evolution in design, performance and features. Porsche only goes forward, never backward.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:40 PM
Dan991C4 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TTCarrera
As a general rule, buy the latest model 911 you can afford. Constant evolution in design, performance and features. Porsche only goes forward, never backward.
+1 I started looking at used 997s, drove them and then drove the 991 and for me the 991 new made most sense.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:34 PM
BB987 is an unknown quantity at this point
i am in the same situation, currently own a 996 and ready to step up to either a 997 turbo or a 991 C2 or C2S. I've driven both but not back to back so will plan to do that once i get around to it and I agree, going used is probably the smarter way to go..

Old 08-06-2014, 10:33 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BB987
i am in the same situation, currently own a 996 and ready to step up to either a 997 turbo or a 991 C2 or C2S. I've driven both but not back to back so will plan to do that once i get around to it and I agree, going used is probably the smarter way to go..
Benefit of doing that now is that there are plenty of great used 991s with low miles that can be had for 85-90k.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:56 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
OP: Whatever you buy, make sure it has at least a couple years warranty left on it (CPO or otherwise, no matter what the miles).
Personally, I agree with TT that you should get the latest model you can afford.