Autobahn Experience or Fast Lane Travel

Old 08-28-2014, 10:59 AM
mrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Sc00ter
It looks expensive but again ,if you try probably to do it by yourself, you won't be able to cut much off the price.

offtopic

I doubt you drove in Europe. lol.
NEVER EVER somebody cut me to overtake another car. They wait and see if a car approaches at high speed and let you pass. I repeat it again, NEVER EVER had somebody cut me off no matter where in Germany. And I can say Europe pretty much, not only Germany.
It happened that I approached a car at very high speed, but that car was ALREADY on the left lane overtaking, so it doesn't count. But somebody to cut me off ,never ever.
my 2 cents.
Wow, you doubt chancludo ever drove in Europe and lol? I was going to reply to agree with him, but saw this...

I've certainly been cut off - not sure whether the little sh*tboxes can't be bothered to look or are pissed that someone has a faster car, but it happens often enough that what would be a fun high-speed drive turns into more of a tense nail-biter. Even more fun waiting for them to then "overtake" at +1kph relative to whoever they're passing.

I just posted on another thread that having a slow car (doing 160-170kph) was actually more enjoyable than most faster-ish drives I've done on the Autobahn (130-140 mph, haven't tried at 160mph or 180mph, maybe the cars that pull out would be more attentive then... Or not based on the Audi crash/rehab video that was making the rounds recently...) The lower closing speed (and I find it sad that I was the one doing the overtaking at 100mph, but so it goes...) made it much more relaxing.

Between non-stop speed zones (no shoulder, let's drop the limit, road imperfections, let's drop it, construction - hey, let's drop it) and Lärmschutzgebiet zones and tossing in a lot of slow traffic, the Autobahn certainly is more crowded and less enjoyable than it's made out to be. Great when you're early-morning driving without traffic and on a section that hasn't had limits tossed in all over the place, but I'm not sure what road you're driving on if you haven't had issues.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:34 PM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
It looks expensive but again ,if you try probably to do it by yourself, you won't be able to cut much off the price.

offtopic

NEVER EVER somebody cut me to overtake another car. They wait and see if a car approaches at high speed and let you pass. I repeat it again, NEVER EVER had somebody cut me off no matter where in Germany. And I can say Europe pretty much, not only Germany.
It happened that I approached a car at very high speed, but that car was ALREADY on the left lane overtaking, so it doesn't count. But somebody to cut me off ,never ever.
my 2 cents.

You're lucky. I've had several incidents where I was cut off and probably only reason no accident is the Porsche brakes being so good.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:57 PM
billco is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Sc00ter;4184045]It looks expensive but again ,if you try probably to do it by yourself, you won't be able to cut much off the price.

Thanks to all for the input.

The cost for two is about $22,000 for 12 nights. Assuming I could rent a 911 for 250 euro/day or approx. $330. That's about $4,000. Assume $500 per night for lodging or $6000 for the trip. That leaves me with a whopping $12,000 for meals. If we spent on average, $400 per day eating ($4800 total) I would be saving about ($22,000 - $4,000 - $6,000 - $4,800 = $7,200).

What am I missing.

Snowczar: Do you know if there are strict mileage/day limits on the Porsches you have rented?

Old 08-28-2014, 02:36 PM
windboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=billco;4184681]

Thanks to all for the input.

The cost for two is about $22,000 for 12 nights. Assuming I could rent a 911 for 250 euro/day or approx. $330. That's about $4,000. Assume $500 per night for lodging or $6000 for the trip. That leaves me with a whopping $12,000 for meals. If we spent on average, $400 per day eating ($4800 total) I would be saving about ($22,000 - $4,000 - $6,000 - $4,800 = $7,200).

What am I missing.

Snowczar: Do you know if there are strict mileage/day limits on the Porsches you have rented?
Just checked at STR, AVIS' 911 (Coupe or CAB) rate is $418 per day, unlimited mileage, $2500 deductible insurance. No Speed restrictions. You have to reserve at least 7-10 days in advance as they bring 911s in to your arriving location. These organized drives are very overpriced, you can do it much cheaper yourself or with your own small organized group. It appears that on many of these tours there isn't that much windshield time, mostly eating, drinking and shopping. I just spent 6 days in Stuttgart, drove 1,000 miles (BMW 5 Series) on some great Black Forest roads, rental was $1000 with fuel. I personally think Autobahn fast driving is way over rated. There is a lot more fun to be had for the 911 on back country and mountain roads.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:03 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Windboat read my mind. Who cares about Autobahn (unless you want cover ground fast), straight line driving is little fun and challenge. Autobahn makes you miss out on all the black forest roads, that's what the 911 is built for !
As it happens, I'm probably off to the "schwarzwald hochstrasse" in a little while, to stretch the 991's legs ;-)

Old 08-29-2014, 08:59 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
[QUOTE=windboat;4184709]
Originally Posted by billco

Just checked at STR, AVIS' 911 (Coupe or CAB) rate is $418 per day, unlimited mileage, $2500 deductible insurance. No Speed restrictions. You have to reserve at least 7-10 days in advance as they bring 911s in to your arriving location. These organized drives are very overpriced, you can do it much cheaper yourself or with your own small organized group. It appears that on many of these tours there isn't that much windshield time, mostly eating, drinking and shopping. I just spent 6 days in Stuttgart, drove 1,000 miles (BMW 5 Series) on some great Black Forest roads, rental was $1000 with fuel. I personally think Autobahn fast driving is way over rated. There is a lot more fun to be had for the 911 on back country and mountain roads.

The rate above is a new deal. Used to be 200km included and then 1 Euro per KM over. On Fast Lane less than half the time is on Autobahn with rest on twisty and mountain back roads. My trip next month (Austria and Tuscany) will be about 85% back roads and at most 15% Autobahn driving. Part of the Fast Lane cost is having a guide (about 1 quide car for 5-6 participants). Helps to have this when you don't speak the languages. Personally the extra cost is worth it. I spend my time "serving" clients and really enjoy being looked after with nothing to worry about except do I want red or white wine at dinner.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:00 AM
CBG
CBG is on a distinguished road
my 2 cents.
I travel around 25-30k kms per year on our Autobahns at more or less high speeds up to 300 km/h if traffic allows it - it does happen from time to time that I am cut off and appearently it has become a little worse during recent years. But it still makes lots of fun.

Last edited by CBG; 08-30-2014 at 01:21 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:38 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I lived in Germany for three years in the early '80s and drove a 911S on the Autobahns. If you haven't experienced 200km+ it's really a taste of freedom. You do have to be careful of people pulling out at high differential speeds, but if you flash your lights (even from way back) I never had a problem. That said, I did see a few cars 200 yards into the fields.

ChuckJ

Old 09-02-2014, 06:37 AM
Sc00ter is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
I lived in Germany for three years in the early '80s and drove a 911S on the Autobahns. If you haven't experienced 200km+ it's really a taste of freedom. You do have to be careful of people pulling out at high differential speeds, but if you flash your lights (even from way back) I never had a problem. That said, I did see a few cars 200 yards into the fields.

ChuckJ
Exactly.
It would be pretty much the only explanation. With the years it might have got worse.
Add yes, the lack of DRL ,when you were obliged of turning on your headlights.
Plus flashing the high beam would make everybody move right, like you were a cop.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:14 PM
Flashing High Beam is regarded as being rude (at least for past 10+ years). The subtle message is to have your turn indicator indicate you are wanting to make a left turn (actually to get by the slowpoke in front of you)

Old 09-02-2014, 06:06 PM
billco is on a distinguished road
Okay, its official. This post has been officially HI-JACKED

I was trying to get feedback on people's experience with guided auto tours in Europe but really learned a whole lot more about what happens to you guys when you drive fast on the Autobahn.

Old 03-08-2020, 08:59 AM
IXLR8 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by billco
Have any of you experienced either of these European Porsche Tours. If so, could your share your feelings about the relative value of the trip. They seem quite expensive but perhaps worthwhile???

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bill
That they are, grossly expensive be it on 4 or 2 wheels. Which is why 2019 was my 25th year in a row motorcycling there self-guided and for a mere fraction of the cost of using a touring company. The same would apply to a self-guided tour in a rented Porsche.

You can rent the Porsche of your choice, stay where you want to, plan your own tour and do it on your schedule. You get to talk to the locals instead of a bunch of North Americans.

I was just looking at the latest PCA for Fast Lane Travel. Peter Sontag claims that the "Grossglockner, Highest Alpine Road in Europe". It would be in Austria but not in Europe.

As for the Autobahn, how boring. I use it to get me to the Alps.