Autobahn Experience or Fast Lane Travel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 04:02 PM
billco is on a distinguished road
Autobahn Experience or Fast Lane Travel

Have any of you experienced either of these European Porsche Tours. If so, could your share your feelings about the relative value of the trip. They seem quite expensive but perhaps worthwhile???

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bill

Old 08-22-2014, 06:03 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
I have not, but they seem very expensive for what they are.

Typically I in Germany several times a year on business.. Several times I've rented a 911 for a few days .. enjoyed the autobahn and toured On my own.. Fraction of the cost..

Old 08-22-2014, 08:40 PM
SilverSled is on a distinguished road
I've done several custom tours with Fast Lane. The group tours are not for me (everyone wears the same bright shirts with name tags). Custom tours are very good - Peter Sontag is owner and made a fortune selling a travel business he created, he does Fast Lane for the fun of it, but, if you really, really want to do it right - Porsche Travel Club.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:50 PM
chancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to behold
Spent many a year in Germany and can tell you that it's not worth it. Yes, you can go 200 km/h or even 300 for a quick cheap thrill, but only if there is no traffic. Keep in mind, most of the Autobahn is a two-lane highway with a vast majority of cars traveling at 130 km/h. So once you hit 200+, be prepared to break at any time for that Smart pulling out at 120 km/h 50m in front of you to overtake a Fiat Punto. Basically, anything above 160 or perhaps 180 km/h quickly becomes impractical and stressful. BTW, you hit somebody, you are at fault.

Go track it. Much more fun.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:32 PM
salo65 is on a distinguished road
We've been on two of the Autobahn Adventure tours. 2007 and 2013. Awesome! It was worth every penny! Five star hotels and meals and a new 911. Besides not having any of the worries of setting everything up on your own, you make friends for life. Most of the people on the trip are repeat customers if that says anything. Looking forward to the next one!

Old 08-24-2014, 03:21 AM
cool flash is on a distinguished road
I live in Stuttgart, Germany and get to "enjoy" the autobahn year round. Most of it is speed restricted these days and then there are numerous road works going on. You also have notorious bumbling middle lane drivers and ignorants that dont accelerate when trying to pass.

To sum it up, it is way too stressful to drive at high speeds for any length of time on the autobahn. On that basis not worth spending big bucks for a trip with sole purpose of high speed autobahn driving.

Regards,

CF

Old 08-24-2014, 04:33 AM
SilverSled is on a distinguished road
Cool Flash, I'm truly jealous. Germany is such an incredibly beautiful Country, and you're point is accurate and well taken. Even at reasonable speeds the Autobahn presents an epic journey and a way to cover vast distances across multiple vistas in a short period of time.

I experienced the same thing - A Yaris or Seat pulls into the far left lane doing 75, when I'm doing 135 mph. It's still an adventure, but you're right not the only reason to be there.

I can't wait to go back and visit the Black Forest and Cologne.

PS

Who would have thought that Stuttgart is also a great wine going region?!

Old 08-24-2014, 06:12 AM
cool flash is on a distinguished road
@SilverSled
While I see some vineyards around town I am not aware that there is much wine being produced around the area.

Just south of Stuttgart is the MotorWorld in Böblingen, a place that celebrates auto culture. Of course we have the Mercedes Benz and Porsche museums as well. For car enthusiasts Stuttgart is a good place to be.

Regards,

CF

Old 08-24-2014, 07:52 AM
naples991 is on a distinguished road
Bavaria and Austria are so beautiful. I took delivery of a BMW in Munich. Great trip.

I think you can rent a Porsche at the major airports in Germany.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:14 PM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
Done 5 Fast Lane trips and doing 6th to Tuscany at end of September already booked one for September 15! Guess I'm sold on Fast Lane.

Everything is first class and extremely well organized. To me, to have everything organized is worth the entrance cost.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:54 PM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by scatkins
I have not, but they seem very expensive for what they are.

Typically I in Germany several times a year on business.. Several times I've rented a 911 for a few days .. enjoyed the autobahn and toured On my own.. Fraction of the cost..
What is the cost to rent? What are your choices in the 911 lineup?

Old 08-26-2014, 05:08 PM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
Avis used to have most 911 variants (and even Turbo if you've got a very high pain tolerance for expensive rentals). Used to be Euro 200 per day but I understand has gone to the Euro 225 to 250 per day. Watch out for the deductible on insurance. It's Euro 2,000 now I understand. I've had a Cab twice, and a coupe twice in past few years. One normal and 3 were S's. All same price.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:57 PM
fjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to all
The Official: Porsche Travel Club did an excellent job for our group last Sept.
Check Porsche website under Driving Experience.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:15 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
I personally have not done either tours. But, some of our porsche clients that have done a tour like this, I can think of a dozen, have done it with autobahn adventures and several of them have done it multiple times. Their biggest reason was the way Mark and Tina took care of them and their customer service. Just my 2 cents FWIW.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:23 PM
Sc00ter is on a distinguished road
It looks expensive but again ,if you try probably to do it by yourself, you won't be able to cut much off the price.

offtopic
Originally Posted by chancludo
Spent many a year in Germany and can tell you that it's not worth it. Yes, you can go 200 km/h or even 300 for a quick cheap thrill, but only if there is no traffic. Keep in mind, most of the Autobahn is a two-lane highway with a vast majority of cars traveling at 130 km/h. So once you hit 200+, be prepared to break at any time for that Smart pulling out at 120 km/h 50m in front of you to overtake a Fiat Punto. Basically, anything above 160 or perhaps 180 km/h quickly becomes impractical and stressful. BTW, you hit somebody, you are at fault.

Go track it. Much more fun.
I doubt you drove in Europe. lol.
NEVER EVER somebody cut me to overtake another car. They wait and see if a car approaches at high speed and let you pass. I repeat it again, NEVER EVER had somebody cut me off no matter where in Germany. And I can say Europe pretty much, not only Germany.
It happened that I approached a car at very high speed, but that car was ALREADY on the left lane overtaking, so it doesn't count. But somebody to cut me off ,never ever.
my 2 cents.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Autobahn Experience or Fast Lane Travel