Sport Design steering trim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 08:19 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Sport Design steering trim

Noticed rather deep scratch on my SD steering trim...I'm extra careful about this stuff so it is driving me bonkers!!

Is the trim that easy to scratch ? Anyone else experienced it?
Any ideas how to fix?

...thx

Old 09-05-2014, 08:35 PM
KN14911 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Fester
Noticed rather deep scratch on my SD steering trim...I'm extra careful about this stuff so it is driving me bonkers!!

Is the trim that easy to scratch ? Anyone else experienced it?
Any ideas how to fix?

...thx

Check with your dealer and ask who they use for interior repair. Too bad the damage wasn't on the leather or it would be a easy fix.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:05 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
It would seem to me that it would have be be sanded down smooth and then polished out. A good detailer might know how to fix or best to bring it to the dealer to fix. Good luck!

Old 09-06-2014, 09:08 AM
moje911 is on a distinguished road
Apparently not that careful, seems like a drivers ring could have caused that. Aluminum is one of the softer metals.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:36 AM
shaytun will become famous soon enoughshaytun will become famous soon enough
Fester,
Sorry to hear that. I know how terrible a little thing like that might feel. My leather on the steering wheel totally got scratched to the point of needing repair. I felt like I wanted a whole new steering wheel (about $1k!). I don't have a great answer, but the best bet would be to touch it up like you would a chip on the car. I agree a great detailer might be a good start or even a body shop. Where in Cali are you?
At the end these things don't look perfect. You just learn not to look at them every five seconds.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:08 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
I thought that was made out of plastic that looks like polished aluminum. If so, polishing won't help, and it may be that the part is less expensive to replace than one might expect (e.g. than if it were aluminum).

Old 09-07-2014, 10:17 PM
wanlong is on a distinguished road
my door trim has the same scratch, wondering whether it can be polished

Old 09-07-2014, 11:23 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Going to the workshop tomorrow. Will find out if this is repairable...yep, it is plastic trim that makes it very challenging vs Aluminium. These SD steering wheels don't come in Al....

Old 09-08-2014, 09:01 AM
porsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to behold
I would check with guys that repair aluminum wheels. They might be able to buff if or not fill it slightly, Good luck, I know how you feel though.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:11 AM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Typically it can be smoothed out with a very high grit sandpaper, and then polished out.
Is it a deep nick, or just a surface scratch?

Old 09-08-2014, 10:19 AM
No luck with the dealership workshop this morning. The foreman looked at it and said the only way to address is to replace the steering wheel.

I guess I'd live with it for now and don't look at it every few seconds

Old 09-08-2014, 10:39 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
You should check with a detail guy. I would think he could sand it down a little and fill the deeper parts with bondo or a filler. He could then repaint and polish out. I think it is repairable by someone who knows what he is doing. Porsche is just trying to make a buck off of you.