991 DIY: Black Headlamp Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 08:36 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by STG991
Did the lower bumper lights too. As you can see, they are more black and less chrome.
Looks good STG! I chose not to do the lower lights, mainly because I tinted them and they provide the contrast I was looking for. They look good, and if ya have 'em use 'em I guess!

Old 11-27-2014, 08:53 AM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jawells1
Looks good STG! I chose not to do the lower lights, mainly because I tinted them and they provide the contrast I was looking for. They look good, and if ya have 'em use 'em I guess!
That's right. I think I remember that. The tint will definitely do the job and tone down the chrome. You get the same look for a fraction of the cost.

I bought the whole light kit with the bumper lights included. Better pricing on the bundled package.

Nice tutorial once again!

Last edited by STG991; 11-27-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:13 AM
advantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to behold
Love it

Old 12-06-2014, 09:58 AM
windboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond repute
Here is my 2013 CAB S with OEM installed Balsalt Black Headlights

Last edited by windboat; 12-06-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:34 PM
Squires9914s is on a distinguished road
Do you have any more pics? ..I would love to see more black light on black car. Did you install the lower light too? Thank you

Originally Posted by windboat
Here is my 2013 CAB S with OME installed Balsalt Black Headlights

Old 12-06-2014, 04:41 PM
windboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond repute
Here is another angle of the Black Headlights, mine were spec'd on the car from the factory, also my washer caps are painted Black
You can see the difference between the Black HL on the 991 vs clear HL on car behind me.

Last edited by windboat; 12-06-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:30 PM
77Tony is on a distinguished road
Plenum, Just did this mod with another 6speed member. We both are now having warnings in our :"headlight beam adjust. defective" and have lost some functionality re: 1) low beams are not rotating with upcoming turns. 2) Now need to manually pull high beam stalk and high beams will not stay on when released (but high beam blue light stays on in dash) 3) Cornering lights do not come on, etc. Is this all because the controller and control module are programmed to stay with the same car and not with the swapped headlights ? Do we now need to swap both the controller and control module ? Will the fault code go away and everything is back to normal functions after doing so without having to bring to the dealer to reset ? TIA. T

Last edited by 77Tony; 01-11-2015 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:53 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 77Tony
Plenum, Just did this mod with another 6speed member. We both are now having warnings in our :"headlight beam adjust. defective" and have lost some functionality re: 1) low beams are not rotating with upcoming turns. 2) Now need to manually pull high beam stalk and high beams will not stay on when released (but high beam blue light stays on in dash) 3) Cornering lights do not come on, etc. Is this all because the controller and control module are programmed to stay with the same car and not with the swapped headlights ? Do we now need to swap both the controller and control module ? Will the fault code go away and everything is back to normal functions after doing so without having to bring to the dealer to reset ? TIA. T
Sorry to hear that...

When you purchased the upgrade, did you order the modules with the headlamps? Did you get the lights from a used car? In my case when I purchased, the lights came from a GT3 WITHOUT the control modules for ballast and beam, and I used the modules from my own 991. If you received lights WITH the modules, you should have confirmed that they are the correct modules to support the lighting options included with your car.

To more directly answer your question, as far as I know the two modules that are attached to the headlight housing are not specific to a car per se. However, they will be specific to what lighting option came with the car. In other words, you need to make sure that the controller for the lamp adjustment is the correct one for the option on your cars -- base, PDLS, PDLS+, etc. In other words, you need to have the correct part numbers. You can easily check as the numbers are clearly marked on the control modules. I do not know off the top of my head what numbers correspond to which lighting option, but if you can't determine I can look them up.

I haven't heard of anyone else having this issue? Good luck and let us know how this turns-out.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by plenum
Sorry to hear that...

When you purchased the upgrade, did you order the modules with the headlamps? Did you get the lights from a used car? In my case when I purchased, the lights came from a GT3 WITHOUT the control modules for ballast and beam, and I used the modules from my own 991. If you received lights WITH the modules, you should have confirmed that they are the correct modules to support the lighting options included with your car.

To more directly answer your question, as far as I know the two modules that are attached to the headlight housing are not specific to a car per se. However, they will be specific to what lighting option came with the car. In other words, you need to make sure that the controller for the lamp adjustment is the correct one for the option on your cars -- base, PDLS, PDLS+, etc. In other words, you need to have the correct part numbers. You can easily check as the numbers are clearly marked on the control modules. I do not know off the top of my head what numbers correspond to which lighting option, but if you can't determine I can look them up.

I haven't heard of anyone else having this issue? Good luck and let us know how this turns-out.
Swapped lights with a forum member here who has the same PDLS option as I do and will check with him for part #'s to see if they match . If it makes any difference hIs 991 is a 2013 and mine is a 2014. Thank you Plenum, Tony

Last edited by 77Tony; 01-12-2015 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:06 AM
Swapped lights with a forum member here who has the same PDLS option as I do and will check with him for part #'s to see if they match . If it makes any difference hIs 991 is a 2013 and mine is a 2014. Thank you Plenum, Tony
Good luck.

Should be easy enough to isolate. You can try first making sure the lamps operate fully using your own original modules. Then swap one at a time. It could be that something was damaged in the process to swap. I am sure you took all precautions, but man, I've seen electronics get zapped by static charge before very easily (especially here in PA cold, very very dry air conditions) without any indications other than something just won't work. You would then have to get out your meter and diagnostic tools and still not be sure what happened! I hope that isn't the case here!

You may also want to ask your dealer what the cost is for replacing one or both of the modules. If only a hunny or two may be quicker. But in the end, don't you have the original modules? Or did you trade those?

Keep us posted.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by plenum
Good luck.

Should be easy enough to isolate. You can try first making sure the lamps operate fully using your own original modules. Then swap one at a time. It could be that something was damaged in the process to swap. I am sure you took all precautions, but man, I've seen electronics get zapped by static charge before very easily (especially here in PA cold, very very dry air conditions) without any indications other than something just won't work. You would then have to get out your meter and diagnostic tools and still not be sure what happened! I hope that isn't the case here!

You may also want to ask your dealer what the cost is for replacing one or both of the modules. If only a hunny or two may be quicker. But in the end, don't you have the original modules? Or did you trade those?

Keep us posted.
I carefully packaged and shipped my lights, modules, and controllers to LA. His lights, modules, and controllers were carefully packaged and shipped back to me in Rockport, TX. I am 3 hours from the nearest Porsche dealer. Wonder if this could be pushed through as a warranty issue ? Waiting to hear back from LA and will update. TIA T

Edit update: LA guy is on it ! He is at the "P" dealer now. He also explained to dealer we have the same problem with the swap. He will report back and I'll update later. T

Last edited by 77Tony; 01-12-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:40 AM
C4S991 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
Plastic Dip the sprayers black. Easy and cheap mod, just make sure you tape up the nozzle so as not to get any PD on it.
+1

first thing i did.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:23 AM
OK, the person I swapped out headlights with got back to me and said he brought his 991 to the Porsche dealer and they had to reprogram his lights-cost $ 400 (with PIWIS tool I presume) It's looking like I will have to do the same unless someone here has a solution. Will try and run it through as a warranty issue but not sure if I will get away with this. I live 3 hours from nearest Porsche dealership so will have it done next time I'm in the big city. T

Old 01-27-2015, 09:35 AM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
OK, the person I swapped out headlights with got back to me and said he brought his 991 to the Porsche dealer and they had to reprogram his lights-cost $ 400 (with PIWIS tool I presume) It's looking like I will have to do the same unless someone here has a solution. Will try and run it through as a warranty issue but not sure if I will get away with this. I live 3 hours from nearest Porsche dealership so will have it done next time I'm in the big city. T
I bought the black version for my car and with swapping out the few parts they worked just fine.

They weren't just plug and play. My body shop had to take off some parts off the current lights that didn't come with the new ones.

No reprogramming needed. Weird.

Last edited by STG991; 01-27-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:54 AM
Hmmm... interesting. As STG991 mentions, the swap can be made without any programming needed. But yes, you do need to take the two control modules off the "old" and place on the "new" headlamp assembly. Unless the part numbers are different on the two modules for the PDLS lights, what could possibly require programming to accommodate? Certainly not the headlamp assemblies -- they don't have any electronics. So that leaves the two modules. Maybe they are, in some way, tied to a car? Possibly not so much to the car as to the options programming in the ECU.

The lights I received were from a 991 GT3, whereas I have a C4S -- so I don't think it is a model-version-specific thing either. But again, I did NOT replace the two controllers -- I simply used the ones I had already.

So, 77Tony- perhaps if you had kept the control modules and simply swapped the headlamp assembly you would have avoided $400 in reprogramming. To me, it would have been worth the $50 or less to send the modules back to the other guy and vice versa rather than take the programming hit (and $400????? What the heck are they doing that would cost that much???).

Very sorry that you had to go through this hassle and $$$. I'll add a special note to the DIY on this topic to make sure others don't encounter the same.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 DIY: Black Headlamp Upgrade