squeaky brakes in 991

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 01:38 PM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
squeaky brakes in 991

I have 17k miles and the brake pads are fine and the car stops fine, however, there is an annoying high pitch squeak every time I apply the brakes. Any ideas?

Old 12-10-2014, 02:06 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Copper grease or anti squeal on the back of the pads should handle it- it did on mine.

ChuckJ

Old 12-10-2014, 05:30 PM
Jonathan Scott is on a distinguished road
I tried the brake pad lubricant to no avail, after one or two cleaning of the rims the wheel cleaner/soap dissolved the anti squeal fluid. I ended up buying new pads, the ones recommended in other threads from zeckhausen. The pads cost a total of about $160 and took me about 2 hours to installs following the diy replacement writeup. Am now squeal free and have much less brake dust as a bonus!

Old 12-10-2014, 06:19 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Keep your factory pads and swap them back in should you do a track day. Most low-dust, low-noise, 'easy on the rotors' pads are not up to the rigors of a track day. Just sayin'....I've had many a student show up at a DE with these kind of pads (not necessarily that particular brand) on the car and by the second session of the day they're all gone - used up - and their day is over when that happens. Those are great for low impact street use only.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:35 PM
Jonathan Scott is on a distinguished road
I totally agree, the pads I put on are purely for my daily grind in traffic but I'll swap back to the OE or some pagid pads for the track whenever I get around to doing a DE, have a lead on a 993 that I plan on turning into my project/track car anyway, bought the 991 for my nice weather cruiser/road trip car

Old 12-10-2014, 10:00 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
I've got 11K miles and have same issue. I tend to ignore it - perhaps one day id take it to track and it'd go away (I've been told by workshop these are high performance brakes, hit them hard few times to return to normal )

Old 12-10-2014, 10:19 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Brake squeal is caused by high speed oscillation of the brake pad against a mating surface, usually against either the caliper puck or the backing plate of the pad in the caliper bracket. Most of the time its caused by a light glaze on the rotor causing the pads to vibrate against the puck. That's why you see shims on the back of brake pads and why there is brake pad goop - to control that oscillation. Generally speaking the looser the pads fit into the caliper, the more they will vibrate and squeal, that why race/track pads are so noisy, the tolerances are kept loose on the backing plates because they heat up and expand at the track, so when they are cold ::: noisy. Like a School Bus. Street / stock pads don't hit the temps so they have closer tolerances on the backing plates. Sometimes dirt or debris can get onto the rotor and cause that unevenness that results in squeal. You can try some high speed hard stops to dislodge the debris (works better in reverse) but that usually doesn't solve the problem in most instances, though turning your rotors on a brake lathe probably will.

Most people don't understand brake squeal, but once you think about the above it all makes sense and then you can look at what you can do to tackle the problem

Old 12-11-2014, 12:51 AM
RichardC is a glorious beacon of lightRichardC is a glorious beacon of lightRichardC is a glorious beacon of lightRichardC is a glorious beacon of lightRichardC is a glorious beacon of lightRichardC is a glorious beacon of light
I have 4k km on my car and had really bad squeal a week ago. It would go away temporarily after a high speed stop, but be back after a few minutes. Then I washed my car on Saturday and I've been squeal free for the week so far. So, what drcollie says about the dirt getting in there is likely what I experienced. Give that a try?

Richard

Old 12-11-2014, 02:17 AM
sapphireblue is on a distinguished road
My breaks started squealing after 1,200 miles. I now have 2,700 miles on the odometer and they have completely stopped squealing. Not sure why but happy they did.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:34 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jonathan Scott
I tried the brake pad lubricant to no avail, after one or two cleaning of the rims the wheel cleaner/soap dissolved the anti squeal fluid. I ended up buying new pads, the ones recommended in other threads from zeckhausen. The pads cost a total of about $160 and took me about 2 hours to installs following the diy replacement writeup. Am now squeal free and have much less brake dust as a bonus!
My appologies to you Tromero. I also used the Zeckhausen pads with the anti-squeal.

ChuckJ

Old 12-11-2014, 11:51 PM
2cardinalalums is on a distinguished road
I had same problem, but I had my pads replaced. My car had the 997.xxxxx brake pad part number, so the dealer replaced them with the 991.xxxxx part number pads. Like here: http://rennlist.com/forums/991/80329...placement.html

Doesn't squeal anymore. Well, squeals less often.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:31 AM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
This latest Brembo caliper design is also different than earlier designs in that it uses guide holes in the steel base of the brake pad which slide over large pins which are part of the caliper. The caliper steel spring clips that hold pressure against the side of the pads also have four points of metal on metal contact. These metal on metal contact points are also potential sources of vibration/noise and should be cleaned when doing pad changes. A small amount of Hi-temp caliper lube on these contact points will help alleviate this issue.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:17 PM
does195 is on a distinguished road
Take it out on an open road without traffic. Take it up to 110/120 mph and nail the brakes. No more squeal. You just took all the glaze off the pads.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:51 AM
991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by does195
Take it out on an open road without traffic. Take it up to 110/120 mph and nail the brakes. No more squeal. You just took all the glaze off the pads.
This technique will work as it is the normal procedure to bed racing pads. For the feint of heart, accelerate to 70 mph and brake hard down to 20 mph three times. This should do the trick and stop the squealing for a while.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:47 AM
solrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to all
Do you guys have also at low speed and low force on brakes a grinding sound like pads wearing out?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: squeaky brakes in 991