Winter Rubber on centerlocks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 05:01 PM
pandawest is on a distinguished road
Winter Rubber on centerlocks

Hi all,

Buying winter rubber for my 2015 GTS 4 w/ centerlocks. Choices as most people know are Pirelli Sotto Zero II or the Michelin Alpin PA4.

Anyone with either of these please chime in with their experience? I am not likely driving through deep snow, 80% of my 'winter' driving is 35-50F in the rain so I really want to know which of these performs better in wet weather.

Also, I am new to centerlocks. Anyone have a decent tire shop deal with these or is this a dealer only thing?

Thanks

Old 10-16-2015, 09:13 PM
akbjr will become famous soon enoughakbjr will become famous soon enough
They are quite comparable. The Pirelli do better in dishing out the snow and the michelins can get packed w snow often.

In the wet I can't offer any advice.

Good luck.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:32 AM
Green Hornet has a spectacular aura aboutGreen Hornet has a spectacular aura about
Art there better options if one were to use aftermarket wheels in 19"
Also wouldn't narrower tires be better

Old 10-17-2015, 11:33 AM
Not sure if the brakes will fit.

Old 10-17-2015, 02:16 PM
Vise is on a distinguished road
Having used both I'd highly recommend the Michelin PA4... better in snow and better dry grip as well. No question it is the superior tire vs the Pirelli.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by Vise
Having used both I'd highly recommend the Michelin PA4... better in snow and better dry grip as well. No question it is the superior tire vs the Pirelli.
Thanks, I like the tread pattern on the PA4's for wet, but I'm no tire expert.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:30 PM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Damon from Tire Rack gave me this advice:

Michelin - better in deep snow. Less road feel. Feels like a winter tire.

Pirelli - Not as good in deep snow but better road feel. Feels more like an all-season than winter tire.

Based on this, I will probably do the P's for my CL TT wheels as I have a SUV for deep stuff. Last year the Pirelli's were less money so more people went with those. Price is basically the same this year.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:23 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Can't help you with the rubber, but I would suggest you have dealer handle the CLs. I would think most tire shops would not have the equipment or a clue as to how to take off or put on the CLs.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:07 PM
eg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to behold
+1, you should let the dealer handle your center locks. I wouldn't trust an indy shop to know what to do with them. As far as rubber, I've used the PA4 in cold/wet and snow, and I've been very happy with them.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:48 AM
inpourquadri is on a distinguished road
The Pirelli do better in dishing out the snow and the michelins can get packed w snow often.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:19 PM
Michael Gibbons is on a distinguished road
Same boat--

Originally Posted by pandawest
Hi all,

Buying winter rubber for my 2015 GTS 4 w/ centerlocks. Choices as most people know are Pirelli Sotto Zero II or the Michelin Alpin PA4.

Anyone with either of these please chime in with their experience? I am not likely driving through deep snow, 80% of my 'winter' driving is 35-50F in the rain so I really want to know which of these performs better in wet weather.

Also, I am new to centerlocks. Anyone have a decent tire shop deal with these or is this a dealer only thing?

Thanks
My 2016 GTS arrives in a few weeks and I've been asking the same Questions. At the end of the day opinion is divided betoken the two with a definite edge going to the Michelins--My 2 cents is I've driven Pirelli's Soto Zero's the last 3 winters here in the Pacific NW, on an Xdrive BMW 535 GT-- Could not have been more pleased-- Fairly quiet-- I cross Mt. Passes 4-5x during the winter and drove them over new, unpacked snow, packed and fairly hard pack ice--Prettty impressive performance from a non-studded tire-- So, unless I hear otherwise from my dealer I think I'll be putting on the Pirelli-'s. That said, a more important Question which I have yet to receive an answer from my dealer, is can I go dow a size from the 20" s? I've always been told that one size down yields better traction. Yes it means new wheels a swell, but more than likely that'd be the case even sticking to 20's but the key question I'd like an answer to is will Porsche ok a 19" wheel? Still waiting to hear back from dealer--Keep me posted and I'll do the same--

Old 10-31-2015, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by Michael Gibbons
My 2016 GTS arrives in a few weeks and I've been asking the same Questions. At the end of the day opinion is divided betoken the two with a definite edge going to the Michelins--My 2 cents is I've driven Pirelli's Soto Zero's the last 3 winters here in the Pacific NW, on an Xdrive BMW 535 GT-- Could not have been more pleased-- Fairly quiet-- I cross Mt. Passes 4-5x during the winter and drove them over new, unpacked snow, packed and fairly hard pack ice--Prettty impressive performance from a non-studded tire-- So, unless I hear otherwise from my dealer I think I'll be putting on the Pirelli-'s. That said, a more important Question which I have yet to receive an answer from my dealer, is can I go dow a size from the 20" s? I've always been told that one size down yields better traction. Yes it means new wheels a swell, but more than likely that'd be the case even sticking to 20's but the key question I'd like an answer to is will Porsche ok a 19" wheel? Still waiting to hear back from dealer--Keep me posted and I'll do the same--
Finally made it to the dealer to compare the tires, I am going with the Michelins (photos of front tire below) I really like the tread pattern with the 2 large center grooves for channeling water and the directional tread. Nothing against Pirelli, I've ran their winter tires in the past and loved them, the Michelin is something new and I want to try it. The little teeth on the outside of the tread is kind of cool for traction when mudding. kidding.

We've had a lot of rain here lately and still well above 55F. The all wheel drive on this thing has not been impressive when I hammer it. It favours the rear (which is good - I get it) but not exactly the grip and go I was expecting. I blame it a light car and wide summer tires...we'll see how the sticky winter rubber does. Won't know for about a week and a half, first off to SEMA for a few days

Michelin Alpin PA4 N-Spec - front tire

Old 10-31-2015, 09:11 AM
Michael Gibbons is on a distinguished road
Look forward to your review

Originally Posted by pandawest
Finally made it to the dealer to compare the tires, I am going with the Michelins (photos of front tire below) I really like the tread pattern with the 2 large center grooves for channeling water and the directional tread. Nothing against Pirelli, I've ran their winter tires in the past and loved them, the Michelin is something new and I want to try it. The little teeth on the outside of the tread is kind of cool for traction when mudding. kidding.

We've had a lot of rain here lately and still well above 55F. The all wheel drive on this thing has not been impressive when I hammer it. It favours the rear (which is good - I get it) but not exactly the grip and go I was expecting. I blame it a light car and wide summer tires...we'll see how the sticky winter rubber does. Won't know for about a week and a half, first off to SEMA for a few days

I'm very interested to hear what you think of the Michelins, after having logged some driving time with them. Did you at all consider going down a wheel size to 19"'s?

Old 10-31-2015, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Michael Gibbons
I'm very interested to hear what you think of the Michelins, after having logged some driving time with them. Did you at all consider going down a wheel size to 19"'s?
I will let you know how they are. I didn't know 19" centerlocks were available, then again I like the 20's, if I did buy winter wheels I would stick with 20's.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:25 AM
I put pirellis on this week. Pretty quiet. Feel pretty good. No complaints thus far. Another dealer contact told me they were the better choice over michelins. He said the michelins were closer to a true winter tire on the spectrum of performance.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Winter Rubber on centerlocks