Horsepower and pse

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 07:42 PM
akbjr will become famous soon enoughakbjr will become famous soon enough
Horsepower and pse

Is it me or does anyone else feel that when pse is engaged the car feels less powerful?

I have a 991 GTS and I felt the same in my older 997.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:02 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
Not in my 991S with X51 which is same engine as the GTS. No change in power feel upwards either though. Just more pleasing sound. A couple of years ago I drove a base 991 for a few days in Germany with PSE and again no change either way also.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:10 AM
That is strange-- a few sources have confirmed that there is a definite drop in torque and HP when PSE is engaged.

I definitely feel it.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:54 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
Makes no sense for HP to drop but I do understand why torque could reduce very slightly. At least to me. What are the sources that have confirmed the "definite drop" I'd like to check those out?

Old 11-05-2015, 01:24 PM
Just discussions with people who know more than me. That's all.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:24 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
2013 4S
No drop...
Sounds Faster!!
Feels Faster!!
Must be Faster!!

Old 11-06-2015, 03:23 AM
tron786 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by eldertec
2013 4S
No drop...
Sounds Faster!!
Feels Faster!!
Must be Faster!!
^^this
If the valves are open and you can feel that all 4 tailpipes are blowing then surely it being more "free-flow" the power could be higher.

Anyone actually do a dyno test with PSE on/off

Old 11-06-2015, 06:15 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Its all in your head. All you are getting is more tone in the pipes, that's it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

Old 11-06-2015, 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by drcollie
Its all in your head. All you are getting is more tone in the pipes, that's it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...
In the absence of any firm dyno data, surely we can dream....

Old 11-06-2015, 10:57 AM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
One thing to keep in mind...

Even if you keep the PSE valves closed, they will automatically open up after ~3,300rpm and moderate throttle. That is, after 3,300rpm, there technically isn't any difference in the exhaust path since valves will remain open in either setting.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:18 AM
Given the valves are open at high rpm (and much below both the max torque rpm and way below the max hp rpm I'd say the numbers published by Porsche for HP and Torque are taken with the valves open.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:56 AM
Originally Posted by Snowczar
Given the valves are open at high rpm (and much below both the max torque rpm and way below the max hp rpm I'd say the numbers published by Porsche for HP and Torque are taken with the valves open.
So the tests were done on PSE equipped vehicles and if I bought one without PSE then I have a claim against Porsche AG for falsifying the rated outputs.
Well they have experience with diesels...

Old 11-08-2015, 06:20 AM
trysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to all
Originally Posted by tron786
So the tests were done on PSE equipped vehicles and if I bought one without PSE then I have a claim against Porsche AG for falsifying the rated outputs.
When you file your claim tell them you want one of these to cover the HP difference.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by tron786

In Germany all quoted HP and torque figures are required by law to be the minimum produced by any/all of the engines delivered to customers. As are the performance figures. Every car must meet any posted performance numbers right off the production floor as it were. Most engines from Porsche actually have a few HP more to be safe (in the old days the variance could be up to 10% plus!). Therefore non PSE engines would have to produce at a minimum the quoted amount not less. Given they do not "hot" test every engine they must have built in a fudge factor to be safe. Therefore every S is 400+ and X51 probably the 430 plus a little. However, I'm not sure the PSE cars do have more output as to me the whole "sound" thing is through the symposer.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:48 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Since maximum hp is reached at over 5500 rpm, and that engine speed will propel the car at an insane speed in, say, 5th gear, does it matter what hp gain is achieved with the pse? It sounds great and that works for me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Horsepower and pse