911 Carrera S, 4S and GTS air filters and servicing

Old 03-25-2016, 08:22 AM
alex_123_fra is on a distinguished road
911 Carrera S, 4S and GTS air filters and servicing

Hi all, I posted this on 911uk, but that forum doesn't seem to have much traffic/enough knowledgable members, so thought I'd ask here.

I noticed that my 2013 (Nov) C4S has had all the usual bits done in services so far but not had replacement air filters. I realise this is a total "backend off" job (including rear lights, bumper etc., but how often should this be done? Any benefit in replacing the stock paper filters with the BMC or ITG aftermarket ones? Is the oil the aftermarket ones are impregnated with likely to cause any sensor issues?

Also, the service book suggests servicing maintenance schedules can be at 2, 6 and 10 years for "intermediate maintenance" and 4, 8 and 12 years for "maintenance". This suggests a service every 2 years or 20k miles? Surely that is too big an interval for a car like this to have oil changes etc. I'd have thought at least 10k miles.

Thanks for your help.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:56 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Motor oil should be changed every year or 10,000 miles, whichever comes first.

There are three air filters, one under the frunk, one under the glove box, and the third behind the rear bumper. The one in the frunk and under the glove box should be changed every 2 years, I think.

The one behind the rear bumper doesn't have to be changed until 40,000 miles - but depending in driving conditions, can be changed earlier. Regarding BMC or ITG aftermarket filters - personal preference. Not sure they add anything substantial.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:42 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
Same thing my dealer recommended. I just don't know if I can let the air filters go until 40K miles! Seems crazy...and I have a nice new set of BMC filters waiting to be installed. I will see how dirty the factory ones are with approx 15K miles on them and let everyone know...

Old 03-25-2016, 03:48 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest
Same thing my dealer recommended. I just don't know if I can let the air filters go until 40K miles! Seems crazy...and I have a nice new set of BMC filters waiting to be installed. I will see how dirty the factory ones are with approx 15K miles on them and let everyone know...
Actually, you may be right -- I think it may be 40,000 miles or 4 years, whichever comes first. Obviously, can't hurt to change them earlier, especially if you are driving on dusty roads a lot.

Old 03-26-2016, 04:43 AM
alex_123_fra is on a distinguished road
Thanks PorscheCrazy. The filters under the glove box and in the boot compartment are not air induction filters though right? The only induction filters are in the engine compartment at the rear? (2 of them). The ones at the front I assume are pollen filters etc.

That's what I thought re: engine oil. Seems the UK service book suggests that some sort of long life service intervals are acceptable too. Wouldn't go for that myself.

Sizzle, would be nice to hear how you got on with the BMC filters in terms of noise changes and any perceivable performance changes (although I know the latter is unlikely).

Old 03-26-2016, 05:24 AM
Originally Posted by alex_123_fra
Thanks PorscheCrazy. The filters under the glove box and in the boot compartment are not air induction filters though right? The only induction filters are in the engine compartment at the rear? (2 of them). The ones at the front I assume are pollen filters etc.

That's what I thought re: engine oil. Seems the UK service book suggests that some sort of long life service intervals are acceptable too. Wouldn't go for that myself.

Sizzle, would be nice to hear how you got on with the BMC filters in terms of noise changes and any perceivable performance changes (although I know the latter is unlikely).
Yes regarding boot and glove box filters.