Cobb Accessport V3 results - 3.4L Carrera 991 +PDK +Sport Chrono

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 02:47 PM
sonic991 is on a distinguished road
Cobb Accessport V3 results - 3.4L Carrera 991 +PDK +Sport Chrono

*This review is for anyone who is on the fence about adding a Cobb Accessport V3 to their 991.*

I own a 3.4L Carrera 991 +PDK +Sport Chrono. I have the Cobb Accessport V3 and run the Stage 1 map with the only other mod being a Sharkwerks Carrera Sport Exhaust (x-pipe) and MSS 245/305 tires.

This combo of mods has completely awaken the car. Gone is the sleepiness in normal mode. Normal mode now feels like it's almost sport mode and sport feels like it's almost sport+ (minus the aggressive first gear redline shift) and sport+ has the car jumping out of my hands. On twisty mountain roads sport+ is almost too aggressive.

This is not just a seat of the pants, "i think i can feel it" mod. There is absolutely no mistaking a Stage 1 map to a Stage 0 (stock map). Stage 1 makes more power everywhere and it's more responsive everywhere. Just more more more. Straight line performance gains are SIGNIFICANT as well. Almost 1/2 second drop in the 0-60 time and I am well within striking distance of getting into the 11s in the 1/4 mile. And on my fav curvy roads where I would never have enough room to make it to 3rd gear, I'm now easily getting into 3rd (only to downshift to 2nd again, but it illustrates the point).

Here are the before and after runs using the Dynolicious (an extremely accurate app). Conditions were Nighttime, 65 degree weather, warm (not hot) tires, dry and at sea level. The "before" run is the Stage 0 (stock map) and after run the Stage 1 map. No other changes were made to the car. Car had a full tank of gas. No cargo. No passenger and I used 3450lbs for the car weight (including me and the gas). These are back to back runs. The entire setup (minus tires) cost me under $2500. Not saying other tuners can't do the same for you, but this is how I setup my car and the gains are real, measurable and awakened my 911's aggressive side while maintaining daily drivable manners and a civilized sound (doesn't draw attention) under 2000 RPM. Yet, she will scream like a La Mans car if you open her up. Exactly what I was looking for, Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I especially love I can change the map back to stock on my own in minutes, and the extensive data logging features of the AP V3.

FYI, I am a private individual, have no affiliation to any tuner and simply love my "baby" carrera. Enjoy...

BEFORE - Cobb Accessport V3 Stage 0 (stock) map 991 carrera PDK Sport chrono

AFTER - Cobb Accessport V3 Stage 1 map 991 carrera PDK Sport chrono

Old 04-07-2016, 04:14 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for posting. This is quite impressive! Also it is very good to hear your driving impressions after the install.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:02 PM
+35hp?

Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest
Thanks for posting. This is quite impressive! Also it is very good to hear your driving impressions after the install.
Happy to add my voice here. I didn't really find a clear and definitive user experience with quantitative backup on the Cobb AP V3 so I really wanted to add some value and help others who maybe considering the jump.

I did some hunting online and found some HP calculators. The output numbers are shockingly strong at the crank. They all estimate about 385HP at the crank. That is +35HP for $2500 (Accesport and Sharkwerks x-pipe). This all aligns with Dynolicious' rear wheel HP est numbers of 303 HP before the flash and 331 HP with Stage 1 map.

HP = Weight/(ET/5.825)^3
385.858 = 3450/(12.09/5.825)^3

regardless of overly agressive parasitic drivetrain loss estimations often made with the PDK this is really good bang for the buck considering the little modification I made to the car. Go Porsche!

Old 04-08-2016, 01:51 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Is there a difference in fuel consumption?

ChuckJ

Old 04-08-2016, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Is there a difference in fuel consumption?

ChuckJ
It seems very reasonable economy considering. I did my spirited test loop thru the mountains near me and 14mpg is actually not bad at all (see attached). BTW, the Accessport has an "economy" map for long distance drives. Takes less than 5 mins to change maps in the car. i expect my combined MPG (over the next 1000miles) will drop from my normal 19mpg to 17 or so. So while it is part of the total cost of ownership picture, it performs so well, I really don't give a damn.

For those concerned with MPG they could put the Stage 0 (or eco) map weekdays and the Stage 1 on weekends.

Spirited ride thru the mountains.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:50 AM
combatninja has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I saw your thread about this on Rennlist. You've really got some good results from this and most importantly, seem to be enjoying the car even more than when it was stock. You really should come back and post the results after your dyno session next month. Something is off with that app you are using to estimate horsepower based on the weight and 1/4 miles et. A car that can trap at 116.2 mph at around 3400 pounds with driver would have to be making well over 400 horsepower at the wheels. Even allowing for the lightning quick PDK factor, the car would have to be making in the very high 300s at the wheels. I am by no means asserting that this tune does not work or that the car is not quicker as a result, but something in those numbers is off. I look forward to seeing your dyno results so we can see just how much the tune adds.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:57 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sonic991
It seems very reasonable economy considering. I did my spirited test loop thru the mountains near me and 14mpg is actually not bad at all (see attached). BTW, the Accessport has an "economy" map for long distance drives. Takes less than 5 mins to change maps in the car. i expect my combined MPG (over the next 1000miles) will drop from my normal 19mpg to 17 or so. So while it is part of the total cost of ownership picture, it performs so well, I really don't give a damn.

For those concerned with MPG they could put the Stage 0 (or eco) map weekdays and the Stage 1 on weekends.

Spirited ride thru the mountains.
Thanks, sonic.

ChuckJ

Old 04-11-2016, 04:35 PM
flee630 is a glorious beacon of lightflee630 is a glorious beacon of lightflee630 is a glorious beacon of lightflee630 is a glorious beacon of lightflee630 is a glorious beacon of lightflee630 is a glorious beacon of light
That's great!

Old 04-13-2016, 08:05 AM
Basic Sponsor
COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !
Thanks for the review! We appreciate the feedback!

If you need anything feel free to let us know!

-Mitch

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM BAILEY | JARED BRONSON | GRANT EPHROSS | ANDREW SCHWARZKOPF | HJ LEE

COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE | CONTACT US

Old 04-14-2016, 01:23 PM
Ok, after 500 miles i am averaging 18mpg combined. i drive pretty sporty and this includes 150 miles of highway and 100 miles of aggressive weekend mountain roads. the balance was daily in-town commuting and running errands.

I am officially super impressed considering that i was only getting 19mpg before the flash.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
Thanks for the review! We appreciate the feedback!

If you need anything feel free to let us know!

-Mitch
Mitch,

i am really happy for now. i would love a custom ODBII cable that worked with the kick panel or maybe a custom kick panel that works with the current cable...

any plans for a PDK flash?

Thanks Cobb