991.2 is going to eat rear tires

Old 04-08-2016, 12:00 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
991.2 is going to eat rear tires

I went to my dealers unveiling last night. The car looks great.

I'm looking at the power numbers on the window sticker (which I was well aware of months ago) and it dawned on me: all 911s already consume rear tires quickly. With the new turbo motors, there is much more torque much much much lower on the rev counter. These cars are going to devour rear tires.

Not that there's anything wrong with that It's the cost of admission to the amusement park But it does make the fact there are still no N rated super sports (as far as I know) a tougher pill to swallow given that the Michelins are more wear resistant than the Pirellis.

DRP

Last edited by drspeed; 04-08-2016 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:29 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
On a related note, do folks think that the new torque curve will make the .2 more of a handful in the wet? One of the pleasures of the .1 is how docile it is in bad weather if one drives in normal mode.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:39 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by KonaKai
On a related note, do folks think that the new torque curve will make the .2 more of a handful in the wet? One of the pleasures of the .1 is how docile it is in bad weather if one drives in normal mode.
An excellent point. I have driven my rear drive Carreras year round with snow tires in Connecticut for years. 330+ ft/lbs. of torque below 2,000 rpms will have a huge impact on drivability in the snow.

DRP

Old 04-08-2016, 12:46 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KonaKai
Originally Posted by drspeed
An excellent point. I have driven my rear drive Carreras year round with snow tires in Connecticut for years. 330+ ft/lbs. of torque below 2,000 rpms will have a huge impact on drivability in the snow.

DRP
Keep in mind that the big surge of TQ down low is at full throttle....you can always let off the gas a little...lol

In all seriousness, having driven one, I have to admit that the power delivery is very linear and the part throttle response and feeling is very much like the old NA motors. It doesn't "feel" like a turbocharged car.

Old 01-31-2017, 12:38 PM
confirmed

DRP
I can now attest that this is true having put 3,000 miles on my 991.2. The turbo torque band is strong. You end up putting your foot into it often. The tail of this dog wags often...

DRP

Old 01-31-2017, 04:14 PM
grover432 is on a distinguished road
C4 and all your problems are gone

Old 02-01-2017, 09:44 AM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !

DRP
I would argue the bigger issue in the cold is the tires if running the factory Pirellis or the MPSS. Below 40 degrees they become hard as a stone and AWD is not going to save you....