GIAC 991.2 Carrera S Software Now Available!

Old 03-21-2017, 06:27 PM
carbonbmw is on a distinguished road
Performance numbers please 1/4, 60-130 times etc..

Old 03-21-2017, 08:36 PM
P-car Fan is on a distinguished road
This is great news!
I'd also second the question about temporarily removing the tune to take the car to the dealer for work to avoid warranty issues. Also, I see on GIAC's site that Suncoast, which is my local dealer in FL, is a GIAC dealer; so, that begs the question.....If they install the tune, won't that be a conflict of interest for them working on the car under warranty in the future if need be?
Also, is there a way to change the programming from tune to stock on the fly without removing the ECU again and sending back in?

Old 03-21-2017, 08:53 PM
kouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant future
Amazing wotk guys!

It gives me more comfort to really consider the 991.2 as the next car.

If the 11.5@121 stands as tested by magazines for thr S model, then with the additional 85 hp and torque, i wont be surprised if it breaks into the 10s. 10s would be insane from a tune only car on 93 octane!

Chances are that a full exhaust and tune car on 100 octane can probably produce in the area of 550hp!

Old 03-21-2017, 10:46 PM
Ira Blumberg is an unknown quantity at this point
Next question, is the PDK and the rest of the driveline in the Carrera S the same as in the Turbo? If not, will the S transmission and other driveline components survive HP and TQ at or near the level of the Turbo?

Old 03-22-2017, 10:24 AM
AlBinVA is an unknown quantity at this point
I would be interested to see...

the actual before/after dyno sheets showing the reported hp and tq at the wheels as opposed to the mathematical overlays.

Thanks

Al

Old 03-22-2017, 11:52 AM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by carbonbmw
Impressive gains. I also am interested in what the numbers will be for the GTS with the larger turbos. Mine will be delivered in June, I hope by then there will be some tune for the GTS.

Can you please advise how long it takes to remove the ecu from the car?

If I want to remove the software before I bring the car to dealer for service, is this possible?

Thanks

Sahil
Originally Posted by P-car Fan
This is great news!
I'd also second the question about temporarily removing the tune to take the car to the dealer for work to avoid warranty issues. Also, I see on GIAC's site that Suncoast, which is my local dealer in FL, is a GIAC dealer; so, that begs the question.....If they install the tune, won't that be a conflict of interest for them working on the car under warranty in the future if need be?
Also, is there a way to change the programming from tune to stock on the fly without removing the ECU again and sending back in?
You should first check with your Porsche dealership to see if they are tune friendly. Some are, but if they flash over your tune or update your ECU, you can always send the ECU back to us for a re-flash. We don't charge for the re-flash, just a labor fee.

We do not offer on-the-fly switching between factory and performance software. If you need your ECU flashed back to stock for whatever reason, you would need to send it back to us (for now).

Old 03-22-2017, 11:53 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by P-car Fan
This is great news!
I doubt there is anyway to remove the flash without Porsche knowing it had been flashed. I am sure it can be removed, but doubt it can be removed completely and leave no evidence.

Good question regarding Suncoast. There are many dealers that will install aftermarket parts that have the potential to negatively impact your warranty. Remember, it is PCNA that provides the warranty for your car, not the dealer. PCNA is the entity that will decide whether a mod will void your warranty on a particular claim. Ask the dealer or the supplier that markets the aftermarket part if they will provide a statement to you in writing, signed by an authorized officer of the company, that they will pay for any repairs that PCNA denies claim for because of installation of the part. You won't get it.

I'm all for people doing whatever they want to their cars. But, if you are interested in maintaining your warranty, buyer beware.

Last edited by GS997S; 03-22-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:56 AM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ira Blumberg
Next question, is the PDK and the rest of the driveline in the Carrera S the same as in the Turbo? If not, will the S transmission and other driveline components survive HP and TQ at or near the level of the Turbo?
There are different components in all of the cars, and different horsepower levels will be achieved. Any additional power gains will increase wear and tear of hardware, but very minimally. However, we have a history of great reliability with the power levels that we choose to ensure vehicle health.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:19 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
These are such terrific gains, I have a hard time believing that Porsche would consider that the reliability would not be undermined- Unless they designed it to meet these loads already and consider it an inexpensive way to market more powerful cars inexpensively in coming years models knowing they can just turn up the wick.

ChuckJ

Old 03-22-2017, 05:48 PM
hayn911gts is an unknown quantity at this point
These gains are awesome. My GTS is arriving in fall and I only can imagine how impressive the GTS tune will be. Please update us when that tune comes out as well. Thank you!!

Old 03-22-2017, 06:10 PM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
These are such terrific gains, I have a hard time believing that Porsche would consider that the reliability would not be undermined- Unless they designed it to meet these loads already and consider it an inexpensive way to market more powerful cars inexpensively in coming years models knowing they can just turn up the wick.

ChuckJ
That's exactly what my SA said, makes it cheaper for them to add a bit o power every couple of years wo much r&d. Another car that is seriously underpowered is the 718S.
Porsche uses about 12 psi. The Alfa Giulia goes to 37. I know it's apples and potatoes, but shows how conservative Porsche is. They get more than 125hp/l on aspirated engines currently, 150 on a turbo is easy for them.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:28 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AlBinVA
the actual before/after dyno sheets showing the reported hp and tq at the wheels as opposed to the mathematical overlays.

Thanks

Al
Here's a copy of a dyno sheet from before/after of a car we tested here recently. It's only showing HP because our inductive rpm pickup has some issues finding a good rpm signal on the new Carrera ECU's. However, most dyno's typically calculate TQ using a formula of HP and speed anyway, so the results are equally as accurate.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	9912C2SPDK.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	359.2 KB
ID:	472526  
Old 03-23-2017, 06:09 PM
991dreamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Clearly by my name I am no Porsche guru however I have 17 years experience with tuning on forced induction platforms with Audi's and did some work with GIAC way back in the day. Today, in the Audi world, you can flash back to stock for service visits and this previously went undetected but the dealer. However in the Fall last year Audi found a new approach and began scanning old files stored from service visits in the past and caught everyone who had been "stock flashing". The story is that there is a "developer mode" that the tuners put the ECU into in order to flash their files, once put in developer mode the traces cannot be removed and Audi flags the car a "TXD" and warranty is seriously compromised. Now the other rumor is that its a simple flash counter that cannot or is not being reset, however it seems odd to me that it would take until last fall to start catching cars who tried hide their tunes if a flash counter was the answer so I tend to believe the "developer mode" story as told to me from a few sources including the Service Advisor at my dealer who called as soon as he saw my file flagged.

Flash and enjoy but be prepared to pay to play.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:02 PM
P-car Fan is on a distinguished road
Without the ability to flash back to stock if desired or to "hide" the tune from a dealer, I definitely won't be going this route. There's to much $ at stake with "what if"'s that it just doesn't make sense to take the risk

Old 04-21-2017, 02:06 PM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
Any news on the tune for the base model? Maybe some turbo upgrades...

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.