Windshield chip help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 08:32 AM
solrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to all
Windshield chip help

Hi All,

Sorry maybe a dumb question, noticed this very small chip and need some advice if this needs to be repaired or better Not mess with the chip. no hair lines , I can feel it with my nail, thanks for the help

Old 11-20-2017, 02:11 PM
4pipes will become famous soon enough4pipes will become famous soon enough
Leave it, no problem. You’ll get lots more!

Old 11-20-2017, 02:15 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
General recommendation is to "fix" the chip. For the fix I believe a glass guy will apply some kind of epoxy/plastic adhesive to help prevent the chip from developing into a crack.

I have never bothered doing this. My results are mixed. In the 1st case the glass got several chips similar to the on in the pic.

I ignored them. After some years one chip developed a crack and after some more time -- I can't recall how much time but it wasn't days more like months to a year or more, maybe several years more time -- the crack had spread across the entire width of the windshield. It was like staring at a Picasso painting.

I had the glass replaced.

As is usually the case, and my luck, not long after the new glass got a small chip. I ignored it. The glass has since gotten another chip or two. I've ignored them. The chips have not developed into cracks yet. But the windshield is heavily pitted (as I think your windshield is) and if a crack develops I'll just replace the glass.

Same for my Turbo. The windshield has picked up some chips. I ignored them. So far no cracks. If one develops and gets bad enough I'll just have the windshield replaced.

There are DIY windshield repair kits. I've never used one, don't know anything about them.

A quick web search turned up these:

Fix-a-Windshield, Permatex Bullseye Windshield Repair and Stoner Invisible Glass Windshield Chip Repair

Old 11-20-2017, 02:22 PM
4pipes will become famous soon enough4pipes will become famous soon enough
I’ve also tried the professional chip repair with mixed results. The above advice is good, wait for more chips or a crack then replace.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:26 PM
solrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to all
thanks Guys,

the fix is free with my insurance, I wasn't sure if this chip has to be repaired to prevent from a windshield crack.

I don't want to deal with the replacement for a long time lol, last time my Cayenne when the guy removed the side plastic trim scratched the Pilar.
the windshield looks pitted but actually is just the reflection because the wires lol.

Im guessing it won't be a bad idea then just have that repaired right and that way also the tiny hole will be filled and covered.

I hate rock chips on windshield, next time I'll do a wrap

Last edited by solrac6262; 11-20-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:43 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
reduce your comprehensive insurance coverage deductible to $100 and forget about the chips. Many insurance companies will replace the windshield for free, some assess a deductible. It's been my experience that the Porsche windshields are soft and tend to chip....

Old 11-25-2017, 06:06 AM
shammerman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rnl
reduce your comprehensive insurance coverage deductible to $100 and forget about the chips. Many insurance companies will replace the windshield for free, some assess a deductible. It's been my experience that the Porsche windshields are soft and tend to chip....
Going from $1,000 deductible to $100 will cost in insurance premiums a replacement window in a year or two. Replaced mine on my old 2011 9114S for less than $650 at the dealership about a year ago.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:53 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Cost was $100 for four cars

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.