Rear Dashcam Camera at Satellite Antenna Hump?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 05:56 PM
fanboy is on a distinguished road
Rear Dashcam Camera at Satellite Antenna Hump?

I just purchased a Blackvue DR750S two-channel dashcam package for my '17 Base Cab. Mounting the front camera is a known quantity, but mounting the rear for a cab is problematic.

Has anyone thought about a custom mount that replaces the satellite antenna hump on the back engine deck? Basically a hump that's larger to fit the camera housing with the lens pointing backwards.

It's at about the right spot, and once the unit arrives I'll have an example to 3D print a housing that could contain the antenna and the camera. The housing would protect the camera from the weather as well.

The one thing I'm not sure about is wiring the camera back to the front camera, but that has to be solved regardless of the mounting solution.

Has anyone tried something along those lines?

Old 01-09-2018, 06:18 PM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
I have the exact same setup. I end up leaving the rear camera next to the home link. Works poorly with the top up and fairly ok with the top down. Far from ideal.

Your idea is good, provided weather protection. Running the wire shouldn't be a problem. as I recall, the solution is similar to the aftermarket backup camera DYI. The wire length should be enough.

BTW, taping the signal of the backup camera would be pristine for a rear facing dash cam. Daydreaming...

BTW, do not use any given SD card. There's a specific type that won't overheat your dash cam. The BlackVue brand is a San disk in case you look for it. I use 128 bc the 16 would record only half a track day, and I couldn't get to it during the in and outs of the track, sharing my car.

The BlackVue post processing software is pretty cool. And consider a CPL filter to take some of the dash glare away.

GL!

Old 01-10-2018, 04:15 PM
fanboy is on a distinguished road
I would LOVE to tap into the backup camera! That'd make my life easier. Right now I need to see how big the rear camera is so I can see what I'm up against. Since I'm driving my car all year round I do need something to protect it from the weather. Ohio winters (and salt) are brutal.

Thanks for the advice on the SD card; I'll pick up a SanDisk card from Amazon.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:44 PM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
I think the location of the satellite wart for the rear dash cam is optimal. I hope it works.

Seek the forums before buying a Sandisk SD card, a couple of specific models will work. I end up buying the BlackVue card from amazon, I didn't want to risk.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:54 AM
Any updates on this?