rear pads wearing faster than fronts..?

Old 12-04-2017, 05:03 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
rear pads wearing faster than fronts..?

I was doing some seasonal maintenance and had the wheels off. I have 13k on the car and I noticed the rear pads are noticeably lower than the fronts. In fact there is more backing than pad in the rear...

The only explanation I could fathom is that traction control might be using up the brakes? I don't have torque vectoring rear axle (which I don't think uses the brakes on the 911 anyway).

On my gen I car and on my 997.2 before that, the pads wore like the tires. You could almost get away with changing the rears ever other brake job...

Just thought I'd share..

DRP

Old 12-04-2017, 05:23 PM
does195 is on a distinguished road
Wow. I've got 32K miles on mine. Ready for the 4th set of tires on the rear. Original pads all around. Mine should be good for 50/60K miles. You have PDK? Drive with your left foot on the brake? I've heard of people getting 100K miles on a set of pads.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:40 PM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
That tend to happens due to the PSM braking one of the rear wheels on hard cornering. I only had this happen on cars I tracked, DD normally don’t have the issue, if one drives reasonably normal.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:33 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by John McLane
if one drives reasonably normal.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:30 PM
BIGWORM is an unknown quantity at this point
I experienced the same issue in my 17 C2S. My rears went first. I was told its the the TT making up for me. I now drive with TT off or in limited.

Its BS.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by BIGWORM
I experienced the same issue in my 17 C2S. My rears went first. I was told its the the TT making up for me. I now drive with TT off or in limited.

Its BS.
+1. I'm going to try driving in that sport PSM mode that allows a little slip.

With my 991 (base), the car didn't have enough torque to really break the rears loose. It was awesome coming out of slow corners ,like a 90 degree intersection turn, to gas it as your straightening up the wheel and have the rear drift as the tires slipped but didn't really spin. Right on the edge of traction. Great feeling.

Can't do that in the turbo car. Its got way more torque - which is a little harder to dole our accurately with the forced induction. So 99% of the time the traction just stops the rear tires before you get to that perfect limit of adhesion.

Maybe the sport PSM will work some magic. I only have used it in the snow. Seems counterintuitive, but the car is way better with a little movement and a little wheel spin the snow, otherwise the system chokes all forward progress when its super slippery. Mine is not a 4 obviously.

Thanks for the replies.
DRP

Old 05-16-2018, 10:06 AM
Z00mie is on a distinguished road
Same with my 13 C4S PDK. rears almost 50% more worn than fronts at 45K. No track time, no hooves resting on the brake pedal...

Old 05-17-2018, 01:45 PM
2fas4u is on a distinguished road
Talking What he said!

That tend to happens due to the PSM braking one of the rear wheels on hard cornering. I only had this happen on cars I tracked, DD normally don’t have the issue, if one drives reasonably normal.
Dude you must be doing the corners. Happy motoring... OH the vectoring doesn't come into play when I accelerate through the corners and curves only when I coast through so far as I can tell.

Last edited by 2fas4u; 05-17-2018 at 01:48 PM. Reason: mas to say
Old 05-17-2018, 02:13 PM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 2fas4u
Dude you must be doing the corners. Happy motoring... OH the vectoring doesn't come into play when I accelerate through the corners and curves only when I coast through so far as I can tell.
I could blame it on my wife, that shares the car with me at the track, but I'm responsible too.

In normal mode, the PSM intervenes fairly early, but is barely detectable. You only feel it in your wallet later on. I should, but I don't quite coast on curves. I like some "maintenance" acceleration to help with throttle steer.

With PSM sport, one can feel adventurous and then the ABS might need to come to help the PSM, definitely noticeable. The corner workers will make notice too. One can always say you're trying to spare the rear pads, therefore protect the environment.

I'm not turning the PSM off to find out the difference, particularly after tuning the ECU. Allegedly it was to be called "drift mode", but lawyers said nay.

Old 05-19-2018, 02:40 PM
Z00mie is on a distinguished road
Didn't Porsche call it "whizzening" or something!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.