How would you react......?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 05:18 PM
Forujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to all
How would you react......?

Took my 2015 Carrera GTS in for its 2 year visit. Oil, brake fluid , etc.
Today, 6 days (about 100 miles) later I thought I'd check the oil level.

This is what I got. Comments

Old 12-08-2017, 05:35 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Common after an oil change.
Might not have been min right after.
Add maybe, 1/4 quart at a time.
Takes very little to move the needle.
Overfill is what they worry about, and that's a PITA

Old 12-08-2017, 05:50 PM
dbh
dbh is an unknown quantity at this point
Hum, not a confidence building picture. I've had a number of oil changes on my Cayman at the dealer. They use a computer to tell them when the proper amount of oil is present. I've always checked on the way home and never an issue. Was oil change done at a Porsche dealer? I'd take it back to them to be checked on their computer. Sometimes the in car computer just takes forever to update. Good luck. Let us know what the issue is.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:41 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Send the above pic to the dealer/shop and demand an explanation. Usually, dealers give the oil change task to the intern or lowest guy on the totem pole. It's an easy fix, but man, could have had disastrous consequences. While you are at it, check your brake oil level too.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:44 AM
Forujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to all
Yes, a Porsche dealer. And, well, could have been worse-could have not put any oil in. I did send this pic to the service manager-she dispatched a tech to my house (50 min drive) he spent about 40 min adding oil-checking the level (running the car some to keep oil temp up so it would read the level) He added about 1.25 qts. That 2 year check was $927 and I passed on the wipers and cab filters. And I did check on the brake fluid-that was like my second thought and it seems OK.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:22 AM
dbh
dbh is an unknown quantity at this point
WOW. That was a significant amount of oil to add!! Not sure how much oil your engine holds but I'd think approx. 2 gallons would seem about it. At least the dealer stepped up when they realized they goofed big time. I'd be VERY cautious should you use this dealer for service again.

Old 12-09-2017, 01:44 PM
h1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud of
its going to happen when we deal with humans. I always check oil and any service work on all my vehicles before I drive off. Back in the day, I did have one dealership forget to add oil back to my another 911. I checked before I drove away, notified the manager of the low oil level, they pushed it back in the shop and filled her up.

Old 12-10-2017, 04:08 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Your next oil change should be free - not that you would ever go back there ever again!

This is why I like to do my own oil changes and other fluid changes. That way I know it was done correctly.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:44 AM
combatninja has a little shameless behaviour in the past
You guys are such drama queens. Never go to that dealer again? Free service because the car was a quart low? Dispatching a mechanic to your home to add a quart of oil? Holy crap. The little digital readout only reads about the last quart and a half. You could drive around with the display blaring at you that the oil is at "MIN" for a year and it would not hurt anything.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:03 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by combatninja
You guys are such drama queens. Never go to that dealer again? Free service because the car was a quart low? Dispatching a mechanic to your home to add a quart of oil? Holy crap. The little digital readout only reads about the last quart and a half. You could drive around with the display blaring at you that the oil is at "MIN" for a year and it would not hurt anything.
I sooooo Agree with you combatninja...!!!!
Drama Queens...lol

Old 12-10-2017, 01:33 PM
combatninja has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I sometimes react a little strongly to threads like these because I love my Porsches but I hate the stereotypes that exist around the owners. I try so hard to dispel the myths. I daily my 911, I let people drive my 911 all the time, I let random kids sit in it if they point at it in a parking lot. Basically I try to be an ambassador for the brand. Just today some lady laughed at me as I jammed all of my groceries into the frunk. But for every one of me there are 20 entitled ******s that act like they bought a million dollar hypercar when it comes to servicing, driving or caring for their 911. I understand that service writers have a job to do and they don't want to risk getting roasted on their survey but if a customer sent me a picture of their display showing oil at "minimum" the conversation would go like this:
Me: Is there a puddle of oil under the car where you park it?
Owner: No
Me: Ok, go buy a quart of oil and pour it in.
Owner: You expect me to spend $7 on a quart of oil!?
Me: 'click'

Old 12-10-2017, 04:14 PM
I sometimes react a little strongly to threads like these because I love my Porsches but I hate the stereotypes that exist around the owners. I try so hard to dispel the myths. I daily my 911, I let people drive my 911 all the time, I let random kids sit in it if they point at it in a parking lot. Basically I try to be an ambassador for the brand. Just today some lady laughed at me as I jammed all of my groceries into the frunk. But for every one of me there are 20 entitled ******s that act like they bought a million dollar hypercar when it comes to servicing, driving or caring for their 911. I understand that service writers have a job to do and they don't want to risk getting roasted on their survey but if a customer sent me a picture of their display showing oil at "minimum" the conversation would go like this:
Hilarious. I get where you are coming from but if they can't get a simple oil change done correctly, I wouldn't trust them to do anything else on my car, whether it was a Porsche, Lamborghini, McLaren, or Ford. I mean, oil change is as simple as it gets - even I can do it right.

Old 12-10-2017, 04:18 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
There is an expectation that when you go to a service center that you get consistent service and usually that means receiving the car with the oil at the max. Especially if the invoice shows you paid for enough oil to fill it. Just yesterday I took in my car for the annual service and received the car with the oil dead in the middle of the hash marks, so around 3/4 quart low. I find it odd since this is the first time it hasn't been full, and I was charged for 9 quarts. One time they overfilled the oil and I made them change it again as overfilling oil can cause significant issues due to the increased crank pressure. Luckily I checked it while still at the dealer. Most likely I'll get a text tomorrow asking how was my service and I'll pass to them I was surprised to find my oil at the mid level. I'm not upset about it. Will be interesting to see what they say. BTW, my car was in their service bay 3 hours. I wasn't happy about that as I was waiting on it. As to the OP, you definitely had a legit complaint.

Last edited by Steve997S; 12-10-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:12 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
Hilarious. I get where you are coming from but if they can't get a simple oil change done correctly, I wouldn't trust them to do anything else on my car, whether it was a Porsche, Lamborghini, McLaren, or Ford. I mean, oil change is as simple as it gets - even I can do it right.

Agreed on this- 911s may not be high end Ferraris but they are expensive and so is the service. These techs are supposed to take their time and do the job right. I don't care if it's a base Cayenne, do the job right!

- I had a guy leave the coolant expansion tank cap off on service on a 997 once, never went back. That's careless as hell. Even if I was drunk I would remember to put a cap back on.
- I've checked the oil in my GTS after service and usually it shows green, 1/2 full on the meter, or the next little box up.

These oil changes are supposed to be every 10k miles and they need to do it right.