Driver Door Rattle! DIY Fix Anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 03:22 PM
CarreraS737 will become famous soon enoughCarreraS737 will become famous soon enough
Driver Door Rattle! DIY Fix Anyone?

Does anyone have any recommendations for the driver door rattles. Viewed the ones for the sunroof, rear, B pillar, but I have not noticed any from those areas at this point.

The driver forward upper door panel area, and possibly passenger door panels have the rattles. Door handles, forward door trim and handles seem like the location where the rattles are coming from, but I have isolated it to any specific point yet.

Thanks

Old 10-10-2013, 09:15 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
This may help.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...le-rattle.html

There was also another post regarding the door rattle. Resulted in a similar fix where a piece of paper was used as a shim. Pathetic but true.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:56 AM
Rainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud of
I have fixed a pax side rattle that was caused by the black plastic insert under the door opener. Lift handle and the thing pops out easy with a pull. Mine was not fitting firmly. Fixed that with some self adhesive foam tape.
Made a surprising noise for its size.
Also did similar to the front one that has the airbag logo on. It also pops off easy.
Might give that a try first - if you're lucky that's it. Otherwise the door panel must come off. In that case there is another panel on the rear side of the door you need to remove (use a soft PLASTIC tool to wedge it off). Now you have access to all the screws you have to undo. Then the panel lifts out (push up) with a good tug.

Rainier

Old 10-11-2013, 05:11 AM
mtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond repute
I got rid of the buzzing noises from the door. I found a DIY door panel removal tutorial here: http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-b...l-removal.html

It is EXACTLY the same on the 991. Once you get the panel off, tape some self adhesive felt or foam along the metal perimeter where the door panel touches the door. I also added some felt to the area where the screws that hold the door panel to the metal door are, and to the clips that hold the plastic covers that cover the torx screws as Ranier mentioned. Now the door buzzing is gone. Need to attack the trim on the A-pillar next. It buzzes on every bump where the A-pillar meets the roof liner.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:44 PM
chancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to behold
You are my hero. This is driving me nuts

Originally Posted by mtony
I got rid of the buzzing noises from the door. I found a DIY door panel removal tutorial here: http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-b...l-removal.html

It is EXACTLY the same on the 991. Once you get the panel off, tape some self adhesive felt or foam along the metal perimeter where the door panel touches the door. I also added some felt to the area where the screws that hold the door panel to the metal door are, and to the clips that hold the plastic covers that cover the torx screws as Ranier mentioned. Now the door buzzing is gone. Need to attack the trim on the A-pillar next. It buzzes on every bump where the A-pillar meets the roof liner.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:20 AM
robbieracer will become famous soon enough
I had a door rattle a couple months ago and my car was in the shop for a cracked coolant reservoir, so I had them take a look at my rattle too. It was the drivers door and was worst while driving. It turned out to be the cable for the door handle. They put some felt on it and I haven't had a rattle since. I'm not sure if felt was added between the door and door panel.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:48 PM
mtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond repute
Just a follow up on the A-pillar rattle. The A-pillar just pulls off toward the center of the car. Pull from the top in the direction of the rear view mirror and when all the clips are out, lift the bottom straight up. I stuffed some foam insulation under the edge of the roof liner near the sun visor and so far that has silenced that buzzing sound heard on bumps in the road and when changing lanes and running over the lane reflectors.

Old 02-07-2023, 08:23 AM
malignancy is an unknown quantity at this point
My issue is more of a creak from the driver’s door that goes away while driving with the door open. Any ideas? I also have a new rattle that sounds like it coming from under the steering column area.

Old 05-15-2023, 11:59 AM
Emerging Sponsor
atwong1 will become famous soon enough
I think we've all been there. That's why I developed the "9XX Vehicle Rattle Finder" - a set of vibration simulation MP3 files, designed to help you locate those pesky rattles in a stationary vehicle.
I've personally tested these files on over 300 Porsche vehicles during my 9XX Experience tours, and I'm now offering it for FREE at my online store to all car lovers out there.
No catch, just an honest attempt to share something that could make our drives a little more peaceful. 🎧🔍