6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991-145/)
-   -   Car Wrap Color in OEM Porsche Color (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991/419463-car-wrap-color-oem-porsche-color.html)

pigcorn 04-12-2018 04:33 PM

Car Wrap Color in OEM Porsche Color

Hi I live in NYC and have a '15 991 4S.

It is dark blue and wanted to get it wrapped in Chalk. I went to a local wrap shop that had good reviews and asked about this....they said look at the paint chips from a few different wrap manufacturers and pick...is there no way to get the OEM Porsche Chalk color in a wrap? Seems risky to pick one "close" to chalk?

I saw someone post their car in "Fashion Grey" so I assume it is more then just try to pick a wrap color that is close.

Thank you!

R_Rated 04-12-2018 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by pigcorn (Post 4709089)
Hi I live in NYC and have a '15 991 4S.

It is dark blue and wanted to get it wrapped in Chalk. I went to a local wrap shop that had good reviews and asked about this....they said look at the paint chips from a few different wrap manufacturers and pick...is there no way to get the OEM Porsche Chalk color in a wrap? Seems risky to pick one "close" to chalk?

I saw someone post their car in "Fashion Grey" so I assume it is more then just try to pick a wrap color that is close.

Thank you!

Best thing to do is ask for swatches. Picking a wrap based on internet pictures is like picking an exhaust based on youtube.... It just isn't the same.

pigcorn 04-12-2018 06:25 PM

yes thanks say the swatches but hard to eye ball a 4" Sq swatch and say oh that's Chalk.

R_Rated 04-12-2018 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by pigcorn (Post 4709142)
yes thanks say the swatches but hard to eye ball a 4" Sq swatch and say oh that's Chalk.

You could take it to a dealer. They have little models with the colors painted on them. Likely, with a "real" one next to you would be the only time you knew it wasn't exact.

Dennis C 04-12-2018 07:47 PM

All you can do with a wrap is get close to the OE color. Porsche OE colors aren’t offered in wraps.

WhipE350 04-12-2018 08:34 PM

I'm getting a wrap May 1st. I have all the swatches and I compare to how it looks on many different pictures on the internet. I have come down to about three or four choices. The guys at the wrap shop are getting me bigger samples, they just wanted me to narrow it down.

Since you can't exactly match many of Porsche's colors take your time deciding.

I'll keep you posted how it goes.

991C4s 04-12-2018 08:54 PM

Nardo grey looks really good.

pigcorn 04-12-2018 10:48 PM

Thanks guys yes keep me posted and I do like Mateo but I have a similar Range Rover.

i did see this company who does OE wraps

https://www.colorxlabs.com/products/...em-paint-color

1Goodguy02 04-14-2018 03:51 PM

Whip350 how much are you paying for the wrap?

WhipE350 04-15-2018 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by 1Goodguy02 (Post 4709514)
Whip350 how much are you paying for the wrap?

Looks like it will be between $3k and $4k depending on addition stuff I might do. I'm trying to keep the cost down considering my dealer is paying for it and the place he sent me to I didn't like and he let me choose my own.

90sundevil 04-28-2018 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by WhipE350 (Post 4709168)
I'm getting a wrap May 1st. I have all the swatches and I compare to how it looks on many different pictures on the internet. I have come down to about three or four choices. The guys at the wrap shop are getting me bigger samples, they just wanted me to narrow it down.

Since you can't exactly match many of Porsche's colors take your time deciding.

I'll keep you posted how it goes.

Take your sample color and go to the dealer and match it up with a real live car.

murox 04-29-2018 08:27 PM

Not to hijack OP's thread, but I have some wrap questions as well. I have a black 991 and I've been considering getting a wrap this summer. The colors I like are chalk, nardo gray and non-metallic white.

What is done with the rear emblems when the car is wrapped? Are they removed and replaced? Also, I wouldn't want to spend more than $3-4k for the sake of my marriage. Are there any reputable installers in the mid-atlantic/ohio valley/southeast US that I should speak to?

Also, would the black original paint "bleed through" the wrap, making the lighter color of the wrap appear darker than it otherwise would be?

aznevoviii 04-30-2018 09:12 AM

3 Attachment(s)
My car is back to white now but here is some pics when I wrapped mine with Avery gloss grey which is similar to chalk color.

murox 04-30-2018 11:22 AM

It appears that you're in Maryland. I really like that color. Were you pleased with the result, and what shop did you use if so? Also what was the cost, if you don't mind me asking.

ZakAttack 05-23-2018 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by aznevoviii (Post 4712421)
My car is back to white now but here is some pics when I wrapped mine with Avery gloss grey which is similar to chalk color.

Wow looks amazing. Which rear bumper and diffuser is that?