Regretting getting a convertible?

Old 05-15-2018, 05:56 PM
marlon 997 is an unknown quantity at this point
Regretting getting a convertible?

Hi,

Been driving 911 coupes for the last 10 years and I'm thinking about getting a 991.2 convertible. We recently moved to a suburban/mountainous area and I'm thinking driving around with the top down could be a lot of fun. No commuting and no freeways (mostly).

My question is to 911 convertible drivers: any regrets? Wish you had a coupe? Too much cabin noise with the top up? AC working well with the top up.

Thanks for your input

Old 05-15-2018, 06:46 PM
reacher is on a distinguished road
I have a 991.2 GTS cab, and getting a cab was the best decision I ever made. It's so much fun, and for someone that never had a convertible before it's a completely new sensation. There's no extra road noise in my 991.2, no loss of chassis rigidity, etc. With these modern cars you really don't give up much in a cab vs a coupe besides a little extra weight, but the fun makes up for it. I'm thinking I always need to have an open top car from now on.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:15 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
I test drove a 991.2 GTS 4 cab and it was awesome! With the wind deflector it is very calm at highway speeds with top down...you def need to drive one.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:02 PM
Porschejeff is on a distinguished road
No regrets, never ever. This is my 4th P cabriolet. Wouldn't change to a coupe.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:58 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Once you own a cabriolet, you’ll wonder why you bought coupes in the past. No regrets at all!

Old 05-16-2018, 07:10 AM
SCRUBEN is on a distinguished road
Cab is great! If you go with darker interior and live in warmer climate, I would definitely go with ventilated seats. Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:56 AM
Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !
Ive only owned one vert in my life before my 991.2 GTS and it was a hard top SL63 so I was just a bit concerned over the noise content, chassis feedback and flex with the soft top. But after some research and then an extended test drive I realized there was a negligible difference in my concerns. The car performs at an amazing level (my only car under 500 hp) and handles like its on rails and very similar chassis feel as my prior 4 991 coupes (2 Turbo S's, GT3, C4S). And now I get the multi character profile which is the top down, up, and that amazing top open event.

Overall this is my 8th Porsche and arguably my most fun of the lot. Its not the fastest but the driving experience is so rewarding coupled with the Carmine Red color.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:08 AM
gellie can only hope to improve
Coming from a 997.2 Targa. Best decision Ive made to go with a 991.2 Cab. More open road felling than my targa and a lot quieter and less wind blow. Just make sure to keep some sunscreen with you.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:04 AM
Compukidd will become famous soon enough
Not to mention the sound of the exhaust with the top down is the best! No regrets!

Old 05-17-2018, 08:15 AM
af330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Vic55
Ive only owned one vert in my life before my 991.2 GTS and it was a hard top SL63 so I was just a bit concerned over the noise content, chassis feedback and flex with the soft top. But after some research and then an extended test drive I realized there was a negligible difference in my concerns. The car performs at an amazing level (my only car under 500 hp) and handles like its on rails and very similar chassis feel as my prior 4 991 coupes (2 Turbo S's, GT3, C4S). And now I get the multi character profile which is the top down, up, and that amazing top open event.

Overall this is my 8th Porsche and arguably my most fun of the lot. Its not the fastest but the driving experience is so rewarding coupled with the Carmine Red color.

That color is stunning ... beautiful car !!

Old 05-17-2018, 09:00 AM
mr dw has a spectacular aura aboutmr dw has a spectacular aura about
I love the idea of a cabriolet, but couldn't bring myself to buy one. I just don't see myself as a convertible kind of guy. I think the Targa would be a great "gateway drug"

Old 05-17-2018, 01:36 PM
2fas4u is on a distinguished road
Smile like going black!!

Originally Posted by marlon 997
Hi,

Been driving 911 coupes for the last 10 years and I'm thinking about getting a 991.2 convertible. We recently moved to a suburban/mountainous area and I'm thinking driving around with the top down could be a lot of fun. No commuting and no freeways (mostly).

My question is to 911 convertible drivers: any regrets? Wish you had a coupe? Too much cabin noise with the top up? AC working well with the top up.

Thanks for your input
On my 6th Porsche since I was 20 in one post I think I said 5 but anyway my last three have been cabs. for me going cab was like the old adage once you go black you never go back well one you go cab that's all you'll grab. I will never buy another hard top sports car. Now when I'm old and have to get a Panamera or MB then hardtop. Mine keeps no extra cabin noise but you do hear the wind more than in a coupe and you cant take it to the track without a roll cage. That said everything else is so much better the exhaust note is awesome with the top down and everybody loves it not to mention its optioned for my climate. I keep the top down year round in NC as long as it's 45 and higher 95 and lower temp wise. I have no regrets and will never go back to a hard top. EVER... viva cabrio-lay: every drive is an event period.

Last edited by 2fas4u; 05-17-2018 at 01:39 PM. Reason: mas to say
Old 05-17-2018, 02:20 PM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
Let me put it this way, I had the chance to buy a new GT3, at MSRP, and I didn't simply bc I would miss the convertible fun. I cant have a third car and I do track my car quite a lot.

Convertibles are fun in any speed or no speed at all. All it depends is how many months of agony you can withstand until top down time arrives, whatever that means to you. Seat cooling/warming helps.

The 991 with it's magnesium panels is an improvement from the 997 and older, but even those were just fine. I have a set of winter tires and drive my car all year long in Chicagoland. Top down is from March (needing some warm clothes) up to late October. Once I had it down in December and January, good times.

Old 05-17-2018, 03:43 PM
twodan is on a distinguished road
convertible

Hi,

Thanks for your input
Started with a Boxster and now have a 991.1 cabrio; love it.
Dan

Old 05-18-2018, 01:18 PM
74strat is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi,

Thanks for your input
I always had coupes for a sports car. In '02 I bought a new C5 'vert. Always loved the car (it was bullet proof and fun), but after a year rarely dropped the top. So I drove like a coupe with al the noise associated with the soft top. Kept it 14 years (typical for me) and now in a 991S coupe and VERY happy!

But we are all different. If you have never owned a convertible I recommend getting one (borrow from a friend or rent) and driving for at least a week it in all scenarios: around town, highway , back roads, day and night.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Regretting getting a convertible?