What can you share that you wish you knew when you first got your 911

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 07:15 PM
Andrewaw is an unknown quantity at this point
What can you share that you wish you knew when you first got your 911

Expecting my new to me ‘15 C4S. While I spend every waking minute reading articles and try8ng to get educated, I’d love to hear what other 911.1 owners learned about their vehicles that you wished you would have known sooner... tech, performance or anything! Thanks for sharing !!

Andrew

Old 06-20-2018, 06:45 AM
Hurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond repute
If you haven't done so before, take it to an HPDC or autocross. You will really learn the capabilities of the car! The brakes were the most impressive thing to me. Unbelievable!

Old 06-20-2018, 06:49 AM
Hurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond repute
You can peruse the owners manual of your car here:

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/

Also, the "Good to Know" app is really useful.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:01 AM
Let's see, what are a few of the quirks that first-time owners might not realize?

Learn what the "Hill hold" feature does (puts your brakes on automatically if stopped on a hill, automatically releases as soon as you press on the gas).

Know that you have to turn your headlights from auto to on, then pull the headlight switch out, to activate the rear fog light (and change the dispersal pattern of your headlights at low speeds) in foggy environments.

Set your seat position to a number but also to the key button so that it will remember your settings the next time you are in the car (a lot of people set to number 1 or 2 but forget to set it to key, the third button).

PDK has a coasting function when you let off the gas, for fuel economy (puts it in neutral, lower RPMs). Does not operate when on cruise control (this changed for the 991.2s BTW).

For PDK, Sport mode will give you quicker shifts, etc., and turn your PSE on automatically. Sport plus will not shift until redline for PDK cars- most only use Sport plus in manual mode (for PDK cars).

If you have PDCC, it is always on. Cannot be turned on or off. If you select the chassis control button (has a shock absorber on it, later 991.1 models it also said "PDCC" if equipped with PDCC (earlier PDCC-equpped models had no way of telling inside the car that it was so equipped so they added the label)), you can change the settings from normal to sport. PDCC remains active in either mode, though. (PDCC, if equipped, will keep your car flatter in turns and will also give a nicer ride.)

Known 991.1 issues - Change over valves (COVs). Different ones can impact heating, PSE functionality, etc...most have been replaced under "campaigns" but I still read about failures in 991.1s, even at this late date. I have also seen delamination around the edges of the taillights. Some have also reported warping in the top of the door panels (usually non-leather interior cars).

Anyways, just a few quick thoughts for you. Good luck and congrats!!! :cheers:

Old 06-20-2018, 08:14 AM
Wow! Thank you so much ! Exactly what I was after! Can’t wait to start playing.. I will have lots of questions I’m sure. Thank u so much!

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Let's see, what are a few of the quirks that first-time owners might not realize?

Learn what the "Hill hold" feature does (puts your brakes on automatically if stopped on a hill, automatically releases as soon as you press on the gas).

Know that you have to turn your headlights from auto to on, then pull the headlight switch out, to activate the rear fog light (and change the dispersal pattern of your headlights at low speeds) in foggy environments.

Set your seat position to a number but also to the key button so that it will remember your settings the next time you are in the car (a lot of people set to number 1 or 2 but forget to set it to key, the third button).

PDK has a coasting function when you let off the gas, for fuel economy (puts it in neutral, lower RPMs). Does not operate when on cruise control (this changed for the 991.2s BTW).

For PDK, Sport mode will give you quicker shifts, etc., and turn your PSE on automatically. Sport plus will not shift until redline for PDK cars- most only use Sport plus in manual mode (for PDK cars).

If you have PDCC, it is always on. Cannot be turned on or off. If you select the chassis control button (has a shock absorber on it, later 991.1 models it also said "PDCC" if equipped with PDCC (earlier PDCC-equpped models had no way of telling inside the car that it was so equipped so they added the label)), you can change the settings from normal to sport. PDCC remains active in either mode, though. (PDCC, if equipped, will keep your car flatter in turns and will also give a nicer ride.)

Known 991.1 issues - Change over valves (COVs). Different ones can impact heating, PSE functionality, etc...most have been replaced under "campaigns" but I still read about failures in 991.1s, even at this late date. I have also seen delamination around the edges of the taillights. Some have also reported warping in the top of the door panels (usually non-leather interior cars).

Anyways, just a few quick thoughts for you. Good luck and congrats!!! :cheers:

Old 06-20-2018, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by Andrewaw
Wow! Thank you so much ! Exactly what I was after! Can’t wait to start playing.. I will have lots of questions I’m sure. Thank u so much!

Good luck!

Old 06-22-2018, 07:09 AM
Z00mie is on a distinguished road
Wavy wear patterns on brake rotors is normal!
Aggressive driving sometimes causes rear brakes to wear almost as fast as the fronts.
Brake squeal is normal, per Porsche.
Get a battery tender type charger if used for pleasure (not daily'd).
Don't be "put off" by having to remove rear bumper skin/spoiler to do maintenance, (pretty much child proof).
Rattles and squeaks are normal, no really.
Your car drives and handles better than you do!
Find a good dealer service department and establish a relationship with their team (for service, not fear).
Michelin not Pirelli.
You will be amazed by your car's "voice" above 5000 rpms.

Last edited by Z00mie; 06-22-2018 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:23 PM
Love it, hoping to leave brake squeal to Audi......disappointing !
will have to see what wheels are on the car!
ive already identified service department AND advisor... I just need my car!

thank you so much!

Originally Posted by Z00mie
Wavy wear patterns on brake rotors is normal!
Aggressive driving sometimes causes rear brakes to wear almost as fast as the fronts.
Brake squeal is normal, per Porsche.
Get a battery tender type charger if used for pleasure (not daily'd).
Don't be "put off" by having to remove rear bumper skin/spoiler to do maintenance, (pretty much child proof).
Rattles and squeaks are normal, no really.
Your car drives and handles better than you do!
Find a good dealer service department and establish a relationship with their team (for service, not fear).
Michelin not Pirelli.
You will be amazed by your car's "voice" above 5000 rpms.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:54 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
I had an excellent salesman who walked me through most, if not all, of my car’s features. So there really wasn’t much that I didn’t know beforehand. However, I will share that these cars really are over-engineered...and that’s a good thing. No reliability problems, and I’m on my fifth Porsche. Also, pay attention to the tires and tire pressures. If it’s cold where you are, make sure your tires are adequately warmed up before you stress the car.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:29 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Being from Utah, you probably already know this. But, here it is:

If you’re planning to drive your 911 in the colder months, then you need winter tires. This is even the case for cold, dry pavement when the temperature gets below freezing.

Porsche recommends rear winter tires that are narrower than summer tires, and this typically means a set of dedicated wheels for each set of tires.

If you try to drive your Porsche in winter conditions while equipped with summer tires, then you’ll most likely regret it.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by Andrewaw
Love it, hoping to leave brake squeal to Audi......disappointing !
will have to see what wheels are on the car!
ive already identified service department AND advisor... I just need my car!

thank you so much!

Brake squeal can really vary. Had it on my first 991S (red "S" calipers/pads) (2012.5) after doing an HPDC.

My second 991S (2013) had PCCBs - my current 2018 991GTS also has PCCBs. I autocross and I have yet to hear any brake squeal. YMMV.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:08 AM
Originally Posted by Dennis C
Being from Utah, you probably already know this. But, here it is:

If you’re planning to drive your 911 in the colder months, then you need winter tires. This is even the case for cold, dry pavement when the temperature gets below freezing.

Porsche recommends rear winter tires that are narrower than summer tires, and this typically means a set of dedicated wheels for each set of tires.

If you try to drive your Porsche in winter conditions while equipped with summer tires, then you’ll most likely regret it.
I'll add that below 40 degrees, you will lose traction with the OEM Pirellis. It isn't earth shattering but just be aware and drive appropriately. Also, below 40 degrees, in slow speed turns the car may "chatter" - this is due to the cold temps on your summer tires (search "acorns" on Rennlist). Having winter tires (I used to run a set every winter before) will mitigate this (and give better traction in colder temps, not to mention on snow and ice, of course).

Old 06-25-2018, 09:12 PM
ducstar is an unknown quantity at this point
I purchases a 2018 C4S. It comes standard from the factory with 10mm lowered. I wish I knew that in order to have the Sport Front Lip I needed to opt for the additional 10mm lowering.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:20 PM
heartsurgeon is on a distinguished road
Impressions of my 2015 C4S manual
First the negatives:
Road noise is deafening. Bring ear plugs if your planning a long drive.
Listening to stereo is hopeless due to road noise.
Tire punctures common - tires are very sticky. Consider tire insurance.
Don't drive behind pickup trucks on the freeway, the car is quite low, and the windshield is prone to rock strikes/cracking
The autobrake is a pain in the *** at first (if you have manual)
Low end torque lacking

Positive:
4S is rock steady pulling HARD around corners (over 1 G lateral force, not even a wiggle)
The engine is amazing. Glorious sound, NO vibration.
To appreciate the car, it really needs to be driven hard. Take it to a track, or a 1/2 mile airport event.
You need to run the car out to redline to really understand how capable a car it is.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:40 AM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
Had a 13 4S that was just a wonderful car. I did not think the road noise was that bad once I dumped the Pzero's and put Michelin PSS on. Now it would be MP4S.
Let the car properly warm up. If you are driving cold keep the rpm's under 4K until the oil has warmed to at least 170.
Drive it, drive it, drive it. These are cars to drive and enjoy. The handling is superb and the growl of the NA (mine with Kline Iconel exhaust) is intoxicating.
Do you oil changes either on time or early, cheapest maintenance on the car.
Be careful with mods. Kind of like cocaine. Once you really get started you can't stop.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What can you share that you wish you knew when you first got your 911