2019 California Exhuast Law - 1K fine per

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 05:07 PM
2010Panny4S will become famous soon enough
2019 California Exhuast Law - 1K fine per

New California Exhaust Law passed under the dead of night to be the effective start of 2019. Wonder if SEMA will fight this?

COPS can cite you regardless if your exhaust is under the 95db level, as long as they don't like it they can cite you $1k then to court. This is already happening in California and a couple other states. To me this is just another money grabbing scheme by a Tax loving state.

https://www.change.org/p/nullify-fin...-in-california

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...01720180AB1824
Existing law requires every motor vehicle subject to registration to be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise and prohibits a muffler or exhaust system from being equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device. Existing law further prohibits the modification of an exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner that will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle exceeds existing noise limits.
This bill would include, among those conditions that are disqualifying, a violation of the above-described requirements related to mufflers and exhaust systems.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:06 PM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
Gotta love Peoples Republik of Kalifornia.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:29 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Think Harley, not Porsche. I really doubt a cop is going to stop a car with anything less than open headers.....btw, this is the law in most jurisdictions.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Not the 1k fine with a citation.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:06 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 2010Panny4S
Not the 1k fine with a citation.
Yet another way to CONTROL the masses.
The ticketing officer said:
"You're driving a fatality"....I'm resisting the urge to say something, uhh, not nice....I'm sorry but these people are on crack. Anybody driving a motor vehicle potentially is driving a 'fatality' and exhaust has NOTHING to do with it.
What this IS is another case of PROFILING, and incriminating otherwise innocent civilians.
yet another egregious case of LE being misused...for REVENUE GENERATION. Not to bust the real bad guys, but to criminalize otherwise law abiding citizens out of thin air....the ones that pay the taxes that make their paycheck possible.
I've been in California since 1965 and I can't wait to leave this state FOR GOOD. I still respect those in LE, as I was rightly raised to, but they largely have been made part of the elite "I'm better than you Executive Branch" mentality..this has been carefully cultivated...the peasants vs the serfs all again. No thank you. Woe to those who have prostituted themselves to be a part of that system and misuse it against the civilians they were once pledged "TO PROTECT AND SERVE" so to speak, which went out the window a few decades ago....

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 01-08-2019 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:08 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Originally Posted by rnl
Think Harley, not Porsche. I really doubt a cop is going to stop a car with anything less than open headers.....btw, this is the law in most jurisdictions.

I think you just saw a cop who DID.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:37 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
This law makes sense if the intent is to control noisy idiots. I live on the 16th floor of a high rise building in Century City and, especially at night, it sounds like someone is trying to drive through my living room. Experience being awoken at 2am by some idiot showing off his vehicle’s exhaust note and then let me know what you think of this law.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:53 AM
I guess being in LA, Leslierc you're pretty accustomed to all those street takeovers and sideshows? I believe that is why this law was adjusted. But the sucky part of it is it's not specific and just gives cops the right to pick and choose in their discretion if a vehicle is potentially out of compliance and gets an automatic 1K citation that prompts the State Ref / Court etc... This also allows cops to target anyone, without just cause, just by looking like one of those sideshow folks, showing prejudice.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by 2010panny4s
i guess being in la, leslierc you're pretty accustomed to all those street takeovers and sideshows? I believe that is why this law was adjusted. But the sucky part of it is it's not specific and just gives cops the right to pick and choose in their discretion if a vehicle is potentially out of compliance and gets an automatic 1k citation that prompts the state ref / court etc... This also allows cops to target anyone, without just cause, just by looking like one of those sideshow folks, showing prejudice.
^^^^^this^^^^^

Old 01-20-2019, 09:45 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2010Panny4S
New California Exhaust Law passed under the dead of night to be the effective start of 2019. Wonder if SEMA will fight this?

COPS can cite you regardless if your exhaust is under the 95db level, as long as they don't like it they can cite you $1k then to court. This is already happening in California and a couple other states. To me this is just another money grabbing scheme by a Tax loving state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOzO25ROyW4

https://www.change.org/p/nullify-fin...-in-california

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...01720180AB1824
Existing law requires every motor vehicle subject to registration to be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise and prohibits a muffler or exhaust system from being equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device. Existing law further prohibits the modification of an exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner that will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle exceeds existing noise limits.
This bill would include, among those conditions that are disqualifying, a violation of the above-described requirements related to mufflers and exhaust systems.
Most of the time a traffic citation is subjective. Even if one is violating say the speed limit whether to pull the vehicle over or if it is pulled over to issue a ticket is subjective. I've had LEOs tell me for instance when I was pulled over in my 996 Turbo -- for not signaling in one case -- the officer pulled me over because he expects drivers of "exotic" cars to be better drivers than drivers of lesser vehicles.

The law as the wording above clearly states the conditions which could result in being cited. There are a number of vehicles around with clearly modified exhaust systems that I believe one who is driving a car with a stock and in good condition exhaust system need not be afraid.

BTW, it has been a violation of federal law to modify a passenger vehicle's emissions, exhaust for years now.

Anyhow, I drive a Dodge Challenger Hellcat which has a pretty loud stock exhaust system and I don't even think about it when I'm driving.

Also, the officer saying the fine is $1000 I'm not sure where he got his info form. The amount of the fine is not spelled out in the brief description of the law. I've read posts by others who claim the initial fine is $25, it takes several citations to reach that $1000 level. But I have no official source for this.

Primarily I think the law is aimed at giving LEOs another "weapon" to fight the ever increasing sideshow events. These are becoming more wide spread, more brazen, with participants now taking over major thoroughfares. The number of people present the number of cars involved means it would require a very large force of LEO officers, with air (helicopter) support to swoop in and bust the event up. There would be of course a rush to get away and LEOs, participants, even "innocent" bystanders would be at risk of being run over as cars made a made dash for the "exits". Unless all routes from the area were road blocked chaos would ensue.

Even if a full blown sideshow is not involved, I see and occasionally hear evidence of inappropriate behavior. The company parking lot occasionally has fresh rubber tire marks on it from one or more cars spinning donuts in the lot. And once after working late I came to my car parked in the back of the building hearing car noises. Upon driving to the front of the building I spotted one car out in the street just spinning donuts to beat the band. This had been going on for a bit as the air above the street was filled with tire smoke.

Invariably the vehicles involved have modified/loud exhaust systems.