Dealer Damaged Rear Bumper (and tried to hide it)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 09:56 PM
Honda is an unknown quantity at this point
Dealer Damaged Rear Bumper (and tried to hide it)

Hi all,

So I picked up my car from the dealer and discovered a deep 1.5" gouge on my rear bumper when I got home - https://imgur.com/a/CGuSpW3

It appears they tried to sand out the scratch, so clearly somebody knew and kept their mouth shut.. Anyways, the dealer is offering to respray the bumper but I'm concerned about the quality (durability, orange peel, overspray, etc.) and potential issues with resale/dimished value (PPI or showing up on Carfax).

I understand black is an easier color to match and repaint, but I'm VERY OCD about paint and I'm fairly certain that I could spot the difference over time.

I've seen some great results with touchup https://rennlist.com/forums/991/752211-scratched-new-c2s-need-advice.html - similar depth but obviously mine is 3x longer). Would a respray be overkill? Given the location on the rear bumper, future buyers might be concerned and respraying might open up a slew of questions vs. touch-up which allows them the option to respray.

Dealer proposed the following options:
- Respray
- or Touch-up the bumper instead and a check for the respray cost ($500)
- Leave as is and they would throw in some maintenance items (belt replacement, door panels lifting)

What would you do in my shoes? Any advice is much appreciated.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 05-03-2019 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:16 AM
biswajitdg is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think this would show up on carafe as insurance is not involved.

In my limited experience, I had this problem on my Porsche Cayenne and had it touched up with a clear coat on top. The touch up wasn't bad (you had to look with a torch to notice it) but the clear coat completely messed it up and discolored the bumper. I was assured that the clear coat would be fine but it wasn't.

In a nutshell, I would just retouch it if I were you.

Old 05-31-2019, 12:00 PM
BT1
BT1 will become famous soon enough
respray

Just insist on approving the sprayout. On a car this new should be an exact match. Bumpers are done everyday. Obviously insist it is taken off the car. Insist data not transmitted to carfax. Most porsche dealers dont anyway.