993 Turbo This community is about the last air cooled twin turbocharged Porsche 911. Model year 1996 - 1997. Also inclusive in this forum is talk on the final 182 Porsche 911 Turbos built in 1997 known as the Turbo S.

a few mods and few pics.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 03:28 AM
dfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud of
brian it's all overkill. i wouldn't go by my list and say it's the 60k service. it's a 15 yr old car and while the engine was out i wanted to be especially proactive and thorough.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:29 PM
aircooled is on a distinguished road
Hey Doc, only 6 spark plugs? Correct on the preventive medicine, cheaper in the long
run....nice collection of machines by th way!!

Old 05-16-2011, 05:50 PM
MarkD is on a distinguished road
993 turbo has a single distributor ignition

Old 05-16-2011, 06:21 PM
carmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of light
i just did almost all that

minus the exterior add ons, plus the intermediate shaft seal. Good judgement doing it all while it was out.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:30 PM
carmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of light
GMG diverter valves

Let me know how those GMG diverters work out. Are they suppose to be audible?
I am looking for some that can be heard but the 993 engine growl seems to mute a lot of the turbo sounds.

Anyone here know of a good sounding diverter valve?

Old 05-16-2011, 07:19 PM
aircooled is on a distinguished road
MarkD...thanks for the clarification on the single plug ignition for a turbo. Is there a good reason other than the placement in the center of the combustion chamber....curious minds???

Cheers,

Old 05-17-2011, 04:26 PM
MarkD is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by aircooled
MarkD...thanks for the clarification on the single plug ignition for a turbo. Is there a good reason other than the placement in the center of the combustion chamber....curious minds???

Cheers,
yes, lower compression on the turbo engines.

now... if you start making more HP and are applying more boost... then a twin plug conversion is the ticket
(along with a bunch of other stuff)

Old 05-21-2011, 03:45 PM
dfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud of
just a quick iphone pic from RAC today. i'll post better pics when i take my camera out.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:03 PM
Was the ultra low mileage 3.8 993 turbo still at RAC when you went there? That thing is a dream.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:03 PM
I need to take a 3 hour tour up to them and peek around.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:21 PM
chris join their face book page and come to their cars and coffee that they host once a month ... you should definitely come for that. that black 3.8 993tt was sent back to the owner. how's your car coming along?

Old 05-21-2011, 08:26 PM
I didn't know they had a FB page. Will definitely check it out. We have a big Coffee and Cars event in Houston But I guess I could make the trek there on a friday night for sure.

As for my car coming along... I don't get to talk to the guys much. They are insanely busy. I want it done right so I don't want to pester them too much. I also told them to take their time. Todd and Akram have been asked to "surprise" me. I just want them to call one day and say "The car is ready"

I am in the middle of so much lately. Restoring a Chevy truck. My machine shop is expanding and moving So I have to have inventory to shut down. 24/7 I have the turn mills going lights out and unmanned. (yes right now 4 of them are running) ahhh... Life. I wish I could just retire and work on my cars. Poor 996 feels left out

Old 05-26-2011, 12:49 AM
adamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the rough
ahhhh im drooling over this car

Old 05-30-2011, 06:42 AM
ruf aux oil cooler ........ it was pretty robust that i could tell.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:36 PM
So Doc... the C&C is this weekend right???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: a few mods and few pics.