993 Last generation normally aspirated aircooled Porsche 911. Community includes the C2, C2s, C4, Targa, C4s and cabriolet discussion.

Key Fob's dead - 96 993

Old 05-21-2015, 08:00 AM
Abuong01 is on a distinguished road
Key Fob's dead - 96 993

Both key fobs crapped out this week after one went out the other day. I made the mistake of opening the door with the key to the shrill sound of the alarm going off. Couldn't get it to turn off, thankfully I ran into the house and the second fob locked and unlocked the door.
Now -- neither unlocks the door so the car is sitting in the garage -- useless. Question - if I unlock the doors will the alarm go off again and how can it be shut off if the key fobs don't work.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:35 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I've only had my 993 for less than a month so I won't try to answer your question, but the same problem happened to me. First one fab wasn't properly programed and I wasn't about to risk programing it and messing the other one up. So, armed with only one, it stopped working. I put a new battery in and it worked for a day, then nothing. I used the key and got the alarm. I noticed the light on the remote was not coming on when the button was pushed and tapped the remote and it worked, turning the alarm off. I bent the contacts in and it worked for a week. Finally, I cut small strong but compressible rubber pieces and wedged them behind the contacts to get a better connection. It has worked ever since.

Good luck.

Chuck

Old 05-22-2015, 06:49 PM
The red light comes on each fob when the button is pushed. What's odd is never had an issue then one day apart the fobs both die. Did the light come on when you pushed the button prior to making the fixes?

Old 05-23-2015, 09:58 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Abuong01
The red light comes on each fob when the button is pushed. What's odd is never had an issue then one day apart the fobs both die. Did the light come on when you pushed the button prior to making the fixes?
Intermittently.

Sounds like you may have a receiver issue if the car battery is up to speed. I would check for terminal corrosion to ensure you are getting enough voltage in the car and you might put a volt meter in the cigarette lighter also.

ChuckJ

Last edited by ChuckJ; 05-23-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Intermittently.

Sounds like you may have a receiver issue if the car battery is up to speed. I would check for terminal corrosion to ensure you are getting enough voltage in the car and you might put a volt meter in the cigarette lighter also.

ChuckJ
Thank you. Looks like I need to get into the car, let the alarm go off then open the front lid to check on the battery. It's new, just a few months old so not sure that's the issue.

The red alarm light atop the driver side window sill isn't light up. Does that indicte anything or just part of the car not recognizing the fob input.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by Abuong01
Thank you. Looks like I need to get into the car, let the alarm go off then open the front lid to check on the battery. It's new, just a few months old so not sure that's the issue.

The red alarm light atop the driver side window sill isn't light up. Does that indicte anything or just part of the car not recognizing the fob input.
What was the voltage at the cigarette lighter?

Also, can you lock and unlock the doors with the console switch? If not, check the fuse in the frunk.

Chuck

Last edited by ChuckJ; 05-24-2015 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:44 PM

Also, can you lock and unlock the doors with the console switch? If not, check the fuse in the frunk.

Chuck
It was the battery. Thankfully. Thanks for your insight and help.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:04 AM
Glad it worked out for you.

ChuckJ

Old 06-18-2015, 06:18 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !

Chuck
I just came across this thread. My power locks haven't worked since buying my 96 C4S a month ago, but my fob works with the immobilizer fine. The console switch isn't working. When I hit my fob button the lights on the doors flash red, but nothing else happens. I went to check the fuse, but in the frunk fuse box, there isn't a label for the lock system. Can you advise which fuse I should check? Thanks.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by keninirvine
I just came across this thread. My power locks haven't worked since buying my 96 C4S a month ago, but my fob works with the immobilizer fine. The console switch isn't working. When I hit my fob button the lights on the doors flash red, but nothing else happens. I went to check the fuse, but in the frunk fuse box, there isn't a label for the lock system. Can you advise which fuse I should check? Thanks.
It's on the cover and unfortunately I'm out of town so I can't look on mine and tell you. I get back Monday and I'll check then.

ChuckJ

Old 06-18-2015, 11:14 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
It's on the cover and unfortunately I'm out of town so I can't look on mine and tell you. I get back Monday and I'll check then.

ChuckJ
Thanks. The fuse label on the underside of the cover didn't appear to describe anything for the locking or alarm system. I'll check again tomorrow.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:55 PM
Update: The fuse is actually located between the connectors on the side of the ACU. I removed my passenger seat and checked it today, but the fuse is OK. It appears I'll need to find another ACU.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Update: The fuse is actually located between the connectors on the side of the ACU. I removed my passenger seat and checked it today, but the fuse is OK. It appears I'll need to find another ACU.
Did you check that you are getting power to the unit, ken?

Chuck

Old 06-20-2015, 03:06 PM
Did you check that you are getting power to the unit, ken?

Chuck
Thanks for the reminder Chuck. I did go and check today and there is power on the input side of the fuse. I sourced a used unit on eBay which turned out to be within 20 miles of where I live! So it is ordered and I should have it early next week. Thanks again.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:54 AM
That should do it. Good luck.

Chuck

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Key Fob's dead - 96 993