6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   993 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/993-23/)
-   -   993 advise (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/993/395511-993-advise.html)

cerbomark 08-22-2016 04:56 AM

993 advise

Need some advise. Just sold a 997.2 and bought a panamera 4 as a daily driver which the 911 was not. Kinda miss the 911 and thought maybe I d look at 993 s. A little surprised about the high prices. What is maint cost on these compared to my 997.2 ? I do most my own maint. Easier to work on 993 s? What prices if looking to a 97 S or4S? Just seems like maybe they are in a bubble as far as price? Best place to find a good deal on one? In upstate NY. Never drove one either? What to expect? Other tips? May have to just pass on these 993 and go to a 997 turbo if prices are over the top. Thanks.

dkp993 08-22-2016 09:00 PM

The 993 forum isn't very active here. Go over to rennlist and post in the 993 forum there. You get lots of feedback. But some quick thoughts....

- prices are likely to stay high as it's the last air cooled Porsche. It's not a bubble.
- it will feel very different compared to the 997.2, really old school. Which many prefer. It's all personal choice.
- it will feel slower and smaller but you will feel far more connected with the car. The size will be a very noticeable difference.
- can't speak to the maintainance cost vs., but it's like any pcar so not cheap. But I've owned mine for 15 years and have 130k miles on it and it's been dead nuts reliable.

Go drive one for an extended period of time. The first impress will be a bit of a shock vs what you had but once you get past that the experience and feel are pure Porsche.

tarnow1942 11-14-2016 12:41 PM

Have had a 993 for 12 years. Bought it with 30.000 miles and now it has 60,000 miles. Do all my own work. Car is very reliable. Had it to 3 track days,one at Mosport. after,just drive it home,no issues. Scared the s**t out of myself on corner one which I entered too fast,but it got me through .Never enter a corner too fast with a 911,Exit as fast as you want. The C2 loves to hang the tail out( I wouldn't buy a C4-totally different handling. Did an off road excursion on my previous 964 which was trickier to drive fast. The 993 has multilink rear suspension. Took the engine and tranny out for leaks of oil this summer. Replaced all the gaskets and the clutchwhile the engine/tranny was out. Not a drop ofleaking since.-remember these cars are20 years old so gaskets dry out. Easy car to work on much less fiddling than my 456 Ferrari which always has something to adjust,Just don't expect too much power, Interior holds up great. You wont lose on a 993 unless you get one that was abused or crashed. Some have valve guide problems-look for oil smoke on start up. Get a 95- no secondary air injection lights. Body is galvanized Only place to look for rust is just in front of the windshield if the glass was replaced and no one covered the knife scratches with a little paint Andy.

soundbehindyou 06-14-2017 09:59 AM

As I just had my C4S for sale, I can say the market is soft now and will adjust somewhat...good time to buy (especially widebodies) before the next run up. You will not steal one, but you will pay less than two years ago.

shadow993 08-13-2017 07:09 PM

I've had my 993 for 8 years now and my 997tt for 3.

The maintenance is a little different, as the 997 is a little more snug in the engine bay.

All and all... the 993 is a little less complicated, with more DIY guys that have covered any problems. You can easily find a DIY or ask the group here or rennlist for help.

soundbehindyou 09-14-2017 09:03 AM

So....did you buy one?