996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Fluid leaking from under hood and power steering pump??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 09:25 PM
DMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud of
Fluid leaking from under hood and power steering pump??

I have some problem with "clutch master" under hood on driver side right by firewall.... it sweats oil continously...and after my track day I saw my power steering pump in engine bay soaked in fluid .... my clutch feels ok... but I know I have a problem... WHat is it that causes this leakage from under hood ??? and what do I have to do to fix it? is it something that can be done at home ????

Old 11-07-2007, 11:04 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I had this problem before... its pushing back up the fluid to the front....

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 11-07-2007, 11:05 PM
DMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud of
how did you fix it... ?? im tired of buying this 35 dollar liquid that lasts only a month..... i want to fix it... how ?

Old 11-08-2007, 07:47 AM
Rasputin is just really niceRasputin is just really niceRasputin is just really niceRasputin is just really niceRasputin is just really nice
Dmaffo, be very careful about this. there have been many fires related to power steering pumps and resevors. any fluid on the pump can leak down to the exhaust or turbo and your car will be toast,literally. I think someone on this board just had his TT burn down to a ps related issue.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:57 AM
mmmmm is on a distinguished road
Check your clutch slave and or accumulator. This can cause a backflow to the resevoir. The leaking around the pump could be a different problem. I did not tackle the slave and accumulator problem myself. It was more than I wanted to do as a DIY

Old 11-08-2007, 08:37 AM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
The power steering leaking any fluid is not good. I just got am email from the PCA and S Kaspar is the tech for the 996TT issues. The writer wanted to know about PS related fires and according to Steven there never was a TSB but there have been issues with the PS resevoir. Pentosin is a mineral oil and extremely flammable. It will leak on the exhaust and will catch fire. I just ordered a new PS resevoir for my engine that is being built and if I recall it was about 425$ or so from Sunset. Cheap insurance in my mind......

Old 11-08-2007, 09:02 AM
do i replace teh pump in the belt system or the top part where i fill in the fluid? and what about the leak in front of the car..in the clutch system?? by firewall

Old 11-08-2007, 09:36 AM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DMaffo
do i replace teh pump in the belt system or the top part where i fill in the fluid? and what about the leak in front of the car..in the clutch system?? by firewall
Not sure about the slave cylinder issue but the PS problem is usually related to the resevoir and not the pump. The pump does go bad becasue the fluid runs low in the resevoir and the pump will eventually start howling. Good luck

Old 11-08-2007, 10:05 AM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
I had very slight seeping at the front (fluid being forced out) to the point where the area around the cap was always a little wet/damp. My tech said it was a bad accumulator. Since we removed the accumulator during the non-assisted clutch conversion - the problem is gone.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:34 AM
ill do that... tell me how.. Ill go home and do it tonight.... please please... i want to see if i can make it to track one last time this year... but i ahve a few blips... with the car.. please tell me how you eliminated it...what do i have to buy?
thgank you
Dio

Old 02-15-2008, 03:32 PM
TonyTurbo is on a distinguished road
I also want to know how

Would love to know what I need to buy and also how to do the converision, I have the same problem with fluid under car in front and ps fluid going down a little.
TONY

Old 02-16-2008, 04:03 PM
cohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura about
I have fluid under the car and also the leaky cap. I was told the enitre steering rack needed to be replaced, I am guessing that is just BS?

Old 02-19-2008, 07:54 AM
cohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura about
Did we ever hear back about this? I checked mine, and the leak is getting worse.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:28 AM
Yyp
Yyp is on a distinguished road
I just replaced the clutch operating cylinder, it's just above the gear box. My car is fine now.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:34 AM
TonyTurbo is on a distinguished road
Problem solved

My problem was that oil was found under car in front L/S small amount big it was telling me of a problem. After going thru many test, the only thing that show up was a small leak down showing maybe the accumulator. Also the reservoir up front would transfer fluid to the rear reservoir. After having the accumulator replaced, PROBLEM SOLVED! The shop I went to spend a lot of time checking and rechecking, so I didn't have to change this and that before really never knowing the real problem. The shop was Autowerkes in Huntington Beach. Hope this help some of you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fluid leaking from under hood and power steering pump??