996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

whining sound from the power steering pump

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 11:03 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MWILENS is on a distinguished road
whining sound from the power steering pump

happens after a long drive. when I press the clutch the sound goes away. It is a high pitch. anyone have this.

Old 08-23-2003, 06:18 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
Yes, I have this also, very noticeable with windows down and driving slow or slowing down. Once you press the clutch in the sound goes away. I think this is common. I posted this inquiry awhile back on Funcars and couple people mentioned that they also noticed it.

Old 08-23-2003, 07:20 PM
dmilzoff is on a distinguished road
I had a very high pitched whine (from the rear of the car) which I thought was the turbo. It was very load when the car was stopped. It sometimes went away when I depressed the clutch. When I recently went to a track event, someone else with a turbo said the noise was not right. He thought that it might be the bearings in the fan motor. Since the track event, the noise is gone completely!

Old 08-23-2003, 11:05 PM
MKW
MKW is on a distinguished road
I don't recall how they are related, but a friend's 996 leaked power steering fluid and it not only started groaning on turning the wheel, but the clutch action was affected , too.
I'd have a tech check the power steering pump / lines.

Old 08-24-2003, 12:30 AM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
MKW, I don't think this has anything to do with the power steering fluid leaking or lines. I think it may have something to do with the vacuum.

Old 08-24-2003, 05:16 AM
Chris Y. is on a distinguished road
My car has the same problem. Usually it happens when going through traffic. My dealer's excuse was that my car is lowered with coilovers...

Does anyone know if a TSB has been issued for this problem?

Old 08-24-2003, 12:45 PM
oak
Chris, all your problems are due to the H&R coil overs.

Old 08-24-2003, 01:01 PM
Chris Y. is on a distinguished road
Oak...

You know what, I'm starting to realize that all the problems in my life are due to the H&R coilovers.

Any chance I get, I'll stab the coilovers! I had dinner with Tyson and Wilbur the other night and they even totally gave me hard time about the coilovers...

Old 08-24-2003, 01:32 PM
oak
Ah......Chris, we all love ya. I would love to take a look at your set up some time. I'm curious as to what's going on with it. I have had mine for awhile now and it's been awsome. It's just now starting to feel like it's getting to the "sweet spot".