6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   Black & White garage flooring from Costco (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/116302-black-white-garage-flooring-costco.html)

BlackBear 01-28-2008 12:52 AM

Black & White garage flooring from Costco

Has anyone installed this?

Is it durable? Does it look chepo once installed? Can you used a jack on it? How easy is it to clean?

Thanks.

GT650-25 01-28-2008 05:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
are you talikng about flextile...If so, here is a pic of silver and black in my garage

Wheelman 01-28-2008 07:41 AM

Other question- how much?

robertp 01-28-2008 07:46 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I went for the high end epoxy with the flakes. It is very durable and will not discolor from the high heat generated from the engine of our Porsches when we park the car.

Onetime 01-28-2008 08:59 AM

I've had the Costco tile for a year and I'm very happy with it. Mine has not discolored. Check the garage section on this site, there is a lot of discussion about different flooring. For a 3 car garage it cost me about $2200.

unvmy996 01-28-2008 09:58 AM

thats pretty sweet im gonna do that to mine also.

Onetime 01-28-2008 04:28 PM

Forgot to answer your other questions. Yes, it's very easy to clean, just soap and water. I put pergo matting under mine to deaden the sound . Everyone who's seen it loves it. I used a floor jack on it when I cleaned my wheels and there were no problems.

On page 3 in the garage forum check out my post "almost finished."

GT650-25 01-28-2008 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Wheelman (Post 1643628)
Other question- how much?

Two car garage cost me 950. Its about 4.50 a tile in my lowes in VA

LT1 01-28-2008 07:11 PM

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Floor-Tile-s/26.htm

I got my Big Foot tiles here--best deal I could find. I'd post a pic but I don't have enough posts or something.:confused:

Garey Cooper 01-28-2008 07:22 PM

I've got the tiles in my garage and they work fine. They do a little "click and clack" when you drive over them, so be aware of that. I like the pergo idea I'll have to look into it.

I had my floor epoxied before (6+ years back) and I have yet to see any epoxy or floor coating that will last beyond 5 or so years. I'm hoping that robertp's will be the exception.

roadsterdoc 01-28-2008 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Onetime (Post 1644659)
Forgot to answer your other questions. Yes, it's very easy to clean, just soap and water. I put pergo matting under mine to deaden the sound . Everyone who's seen it loves it. I used a floor jack on it when I cleaned my wheels and there were no problems.

On page 3 in the garage forum check out my post "almost finished."

What is pergo matting? I am about to install plastic tiles. I was going to epoxy but I understand it is slippery when wet, even with texture. With my wife and 3 year old in wet, humid Houston I don't want any falls.

Seattle996 01-29-2008 12:47 AM

I bought and installed the Costco stuff about 2 months ago. I like it, but I wouldn't do it again. It does clack when you walk on it, the white tiles do get dirty quite easily. So if you live in a wet climate like I do in Seattle, its kind of a pain in the ass cause you have to wipe it all the time for it to look clean. I'm sure the epoxy stuff would blend in better with the dirt you bring in from the road.

So I don't man, I like it so-so. Real simple to install. But I wouldn't recommend it, I'd probably go for the epoxy option or something different if I were to do it again.

Onetime 01-29-2008 01:02 AM

The Pergo matting is the plastic padding stuff they put under Pergo floors. It takes away the click clack sound the tiles make when you walk on them. It all comes down to what look you want.

LT1, to post pics you have to load them to a website like photobucket.com and then copy them from there.

roadsterdoc 01-29-2008 12:08 PM

Thanks Onetime. I bet it would help to quiet the hard plastic tiles too, and possibly help correct any uneveness in the concrete.

I think garage flooring options all have their compromise. You have to decide what you want. The factors I see are:
appearance
durability
ease of cleaning
stain resistance
cost
slip resistance (safety)

BlackBear 01-29-2008 12:26 PM

Thanks guys. The data seems to be inconclusive.

I don't like epoxy. Tried that and it did not last.

I have PVC tile from Home Depot now. The problems here are discoloration of the lighter tiles. Engine heat does not cause problems but tire heat does.

I used dark gray and black. Another problem was the glue. My flooring guy ran out of glue half way done and then bought other glue. That second batch of glue was not strong enough for the weight of the Porsche engine and the titles started to shift.

So it sounds like I'll just fix the shifted tiles and use the better glue. It should also be a lot cheaper to do than going another route now.

Thanks again.