996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

A VERY custom 996 GT2 "RSR"...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:46 AM
rapidtransit is infamous around these parts
gt2rsr pistons@cylinders

what p/c combo r u using

Old 03-04-2008, 10:28 AM
SMR
SMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
Would it not make more sense to turbo charge a GT3 RS or RSR instead of going from a 996TT and changing everything except the frame?
just a thought...
He has a gt2, thats a gt3 with a turbo engien so its the best car to start from

Old 03-04-2008, 10:30 AM
SMR
SMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the rough
After looking at the flow of pics.. etc... from the wheel carriers, hubs, subframe mounts etc... and on up... it would make sense to get a RSR car with no engine lets say... then put in whatever you desired... 996tt with a 3.8 and some GT3 sort of heads... It just seems that it would be easier and cheaper since most of the RACE stuff is already on the car... but then I really do not know too much about the race P cars... That's where you come in...
from the look of this build out its north of $300K... The body alone is probably $50K.
Thats what im looking in to, buying a RSR and swap out the engien for a TT one

Old 03-04-2008, 10:56 AM
kennyjr748 is on a distinguished road
Cool

After looking at the flow of pics.. etc... from the wheel carriers, hubs, subframe mounts etc... and on up... it would make sense to get a RSR car with no engine lets say... then put in whatever you desired... 996tt with a 3.8 and some GT3 sort of heads... It just seems that it would be easier and cheaper since most of the RACE stuff is already on the car... but then I really do not know too much about the race P cars... That's where you come in...
from the look of this build out its north of $300K... The body alone is probably $50K.

I believe this car will still be registered for street use...

Old 03-04-2008, 08:38 PM
1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute
I looked into purchasing of an RSR, but they r hard to find and then you don't have the street capability. I will tell you that this car will complete at less than the cost of a new 997 RSR, but you could easily purchase a very nice Carrerra GT for less than I have in this car. But that is not the point. This has been a very interesting challenge to build and keep street legal. I will not guarantee its registration in every state, but it will be, and is, registered in Arizona. The engine is not a turbocharged RSR motor. I will tell you that many of the parts are from the RSR motor, but there are an equal number of custom fabricated parts required to make it all work properly. There are 5 versions of this engine in track cars and they have been getting 65 to 75 hours before rebuild. That is amazing considering the power and torque. This is the first street motor and we are testing a new turbo design that has not been used on the race motors.

As for the 3.8 conversion; we are using Mahle cylinders with a custom made piston and ring set..

The 840whp is conservative, and frankly, is based on the 3.6L race motors. I will publish the actual results of the 3.8L design with the new turbos when the car is dynoed in a couple of months. I would guess an actual of close to 900whp. We will see.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:52 AM
Gary in BR is on a distinguished road
I am speechless.

This is an amazing.
Thanks for sharing

Old 03-07-2008, 01:03 AM
Banned
SYMBOLIC is on a distinguished road
the wing looks a little shopping cartish but the car is unreal.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:13 AM
WTRacing has a little shameless behaviour in the past
insane build! extremely bad ***

Old 03-07-2008, 03:01 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 1badgt2
I There are 5 versions of this engine in track cars and they have been getting 65 to 75 hours before rebuild.
So in your opinion, every how many miles ( street miles) will you have to rebuild the motor?. You see, I had the choice of going with a RSR head but chose not to due to the frequent rebuilds required. It just did not serve my purpose. So I opted for a slightly used world cup challenge head with GT3 cams.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 03-07-2008, 06:08 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Mark, the RSR engine would need to be rebuilt quite often if it is driven like it should at high 9k RPMs and huge stress of a race environment, many components go by number of hours, but that is with certain race usage. Otherwise it can be driven as long as any 996TT engine and longer, provided it is used the same way, albeit with some more maintenance items.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:45 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
This is a friend of mine's RSR motor after a Sebring "mishap" two weeks ago...

NOT GOOD: Someone hit him while he was down in the grass and the rest is tangled
RSR.

MK

Attached Images    
Old 03-07-2008, 05:41 PM
Michael2364 will become famous soon enough
Absolutely amazing. That thing is Porsche sensory overload!!

Old 03-07-2008, 11:05 PM
1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute1badgt2 has a reputation beyond repute
markskiI tend to agree with Jean. The entire engine is rock solid and its longevity clearly depends on how you use the car. I will not use this on the track as much as one might think. As a matter of fact, I am starting a sister project to build a similar Speed GT World Challenge car that I will race only. Loren Beggs and Cary Eisenlohr are going to build that car as well. It will certainly be very different due to the WCGT rules.I would guess that the current car will see some leve of inspection and rebuild every 200hrs or so based on how I will drive the car. You certainly do not build a car like this if you can't afford the 40 or 50k it takes to rebuild the motor every 200hrs. It would not make sense.

Last edited by 1badgt2; 03-07-2008 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:25 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
... You certainly do not build a car like this if you can't afford the 40 or 50k it takes to rebuild the motor every 200hrs. It would not make sense.
****. I guess I'm out then!

Old 03-08-2008, 01:48 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
markskiI tend to agree with Jean. The entire engine is rock solid and its longevity clearly depends on how you use the car. I will not use this on the track as much as one might think.
I actually asked because I did not know... I only recall my tuner having both heads in his hands and opting to stir away from solid lifters in the RSR head...
best,
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: A VERY custom 996 GT2 "RSR"...